No announcement yet.

Are cops too quick to pull their guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are cops too quick to pull their guns?

A man had a gun pulled on him because an off-duty officer thought he stole a pack of mentos. His assumption was wrong.

I can't see how this is an appropriate reaction outside of a totalitarian police state. If this type of behavior is acceptable, it poses a direct threat to our freedom. It'll be interesting to see how his PD handles this.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

The LEO needs some retraining. He did apologize, though. Next time he should have the wife go get the Mentos?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

There's a certain portion of just about any area of employment that are morons and idiots. You can't get around the bell curve on that. For example, you're going to get some fraction of police officers who think they're Rambo, or Bruce Lee, or something like that.
      The other officers kind of know after a bit who they are and usually will keep them in check when there's several officers present. When they're a danger is when they're alone and can get stupid.

It's just the way the world works. You can't fix stupid.

Sometimes you just wish you had a knowledge stick to fix this sort of thing...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        There's a certain portion of just about any area of employment that are morons and idiots. You can't get around the bell curve on that. For example, you're going to get some fraction of police officers who think they're Rambo, or Bruce Lee, or something like that.
        The other officers kind of know after a bit who they are and usually will keep them in check when there's several officers present. When they're a danger is when they're alone and can get stupid.

It's just the way the world works. You can't fix stupid.

Sometimes you just wish you had a knowledge stick to fix this sort of thing...

The hiring standards are more lax when compared to other important jobs, so with policing more idiots are going to get in. Plus, it's easier for those bad apples to stay when compared to other areas of employment. If I perform poorly at my job, I'm going to be dropped.

Cops for some reason, aren't held to the same level of accountability.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Something doesn’t smell right about this. I’m not defending the alleged officer, but I am wondering if he was really a police officer.
          A couple of things that don’t add up;
          1, He pulls the gun, then pulls the slide back to load the pistol.
          Nobody with any brains carries a pistol with an empty chamber.
          2. He doesn’t display his badge. Really?
          How do we know he is an officer?
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            Something doesn’t smell right about this. I’m not defending the alleged officer, but I am wondering if he was really a police officer.
            A couple of things that don’t add up;
            1, He pulls the gun, then pulls the slide back to load the pistol.
            Nobody with any brains carries a pistol with an empty chamber.
            2. He doesn’t display his badge. Really?
            How do we know he is an officer?
            Most people do carry empty. I'm surprised that a cop would though. His police chief has confirmed the validity and they are investigating.
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
              Most people do carry empty. I'm surprised that a cop would though. His police chief has confirmed the validity and they are investigating.
              The good news is, nobody died. If the officer had walked in on an armed robbery with an unloaded pistol,
              Well.
              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Anybody that carries "empty chamber" should just leave their gun at home. It implies they don't understand their weapon or their safety training. They are more afraid of the gun than the criminals. Keep your booger picker off the bang button and nothing can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                    no excuse for that

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                      If you carry empty you may as well leave it at home.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                        Anybody that carries "empty chamber" should just leave their gun at home. It implies they don't understand their weapon or their safety training. They are more afraid of the gun than the criminals. Keep your booger picker off the bang button and nothing can happen.
                        Exactly!
                        This officer needs an intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                          Another idiot abusing his authority.

Comment

Can't speak for other jurisdictions, but NYPD officers are taught in the academy that every encounter between police officer and civilian is merely an armed confrontation in waiting. Consequently NYPD officers historically have been rather . . . . domineering in the initial moments of a contact. (Fortunately that kind of approach is being addressed of late, and the results appear generally positive.) Add to that the academy's practice of informing recruits of their start date a mere two weeks in advance -- compelling the incoming cadets to "burn their bridges," so to speak -- and right off the bat a certain separation is engendered between the police officer and the civilians he's serving.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

The problem with many cops is that the us vs. them attitude carries over into their whole lives. I work in a gun shop and even many cops who come in as customers treat it as us vs. them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X