Cherry Point Air Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Point Air Show

My family and I went to the Cherry Point MCAS annual air show yesterday and had a great time.

The B-17 Memphis Belle, the one used in the 1990 movie, was there. It had been flown up from Florida and it was great to see and go into a B-17. It's a real aircraft, not a movie prop.

The other War II aircraft were also excellent-Mustang, Dauntless, Avenger, B-25 and the flying demos were also great.

If anyone ever has a chance to go I highly recommend it.

Your first air show, congratulations. Post pictures.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    My family and I went to the Cherry Point MCAS annual air show yesterday and had a great time.

The B-17 Memphis Belle, the one used in the 1990 movie, was there. It had been flown up from Florida and it was great to see and go into a B-17. It's a real aircraft, not a movie prop.

The other War II aircraft were also excellent-Mustang, Dauntless, Avenger, B-25 and the flying demos were also great.

My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

More nonsense-why do you even post if you're going to do nothing but ridicule and condescend?

Comment

Excellent! I really need to make an effort to get to at least one show this season.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The Reading Air Show is coming up. If you ride your motorcycle parking is at the front gate. It's a really nice show if you're into WW2 aircraft. I have a friend that brings one of his planes their every year. Best show in the area.

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
          Excellent! I really need to make an effort to get to at least one show this season.
          My worst jump story:
          No lie.

~
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I once got to crawl into the nose of a B 25. And I do mean crawl.

I bet those glass noses come with awesome views in flight. But the thought of trying to exit that nose when the plane is stricken definitely makes me tip my hat to bomber crews.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

It was my turn today:

https://www.wingsoverillawarra.com.au/
              "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
              "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
              Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Here's the website for the Cherry Point Air Show:

http://www.cherrypointairshow.com/

Comment

Way back in the 70s, when I was still a young teenager, we went to an airshow in Norman Oklahoma. One of the planes there was a B-17. The two things I remember was how big the tires on that thing were. At the time they were about as tall as I was. The other was how big the bomb bay was...or seemed to be at the age I was. I still want to see a B-29 up close, but those are fewer and further between than the 17s.

Comment

The one thing I noticed was how small the ball turret was. What a death trap that was.

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                    Way back in the 70s, when I was still a young teenager, we went to an airshow in Norman Oklahoma. One of the planes there was a B-17. The two things I remember was how big the tires on that thing were. At the time they were about as tall as I was. The other was how big the bomb bay was...or seemed to be at the age I was. I still want to see a B-29 up close, but those are fewer and further between than the 17s.
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Looks like it was a great show, the Canadian Snow Birds are awesome !
                      They were here last year with the USAF Thunderbirds,
                      Thanks for sharing Massena.
                      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

It's a major task to keep these aircraft flight worthy.

In 1995 some one organized a 50th World War II anniversary cross US flight of aircraft from the war.

I saw the aircraft at Wright Patterson AIr base.

Many of the planes that were supposed to be there didn't make it.

There were a large number of the old T-6 Texan trainers there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...ican_T-6_Texan
                        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...ican_T-6_Texan

One of the gentlemen told me that it you think of the P-51 as a Porsche, the T-6 is a VW bug.

Back then (1995) he said a P-51 would cost $500,000 a T-6 $100,000. And the T-6 was easier to maintain and had better fuel economy.

I love seeing these old birds. We have a B-17 that comes to town a couple of times a year. I love seeing and hearing it fly.

I would love to see a P38 or P-47 fly!
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                          I would love to see a P38 or P-47 fly!
                          They've had both at Davis Monthan for events. The P-38 sounds like a sewing machine. Very quiet. The P-47 is very quiet too.

I figure they are because the exhaust goes through the turbocharger instead of six inches of exhaust stack like on a P-51 or Spitfire.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X