Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When has the US meddled in other nations elections?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When has the US meddled in other nations elections?

    Just a short list....(remember, we are always the good cops)
    As illustrated by the following highlight reel, American “interventions” didn’t stop at just influencing elections but also included the outright overthrow of governments deemed “unfriendly” to U.S. “national interests”.

    1948 Italy When there appeared a real danger of the huge Communist Party winning national elections the infant CIA authorized Allen Dulles to dispatch personnel and large amounts of cash to energize the Christian Democratic Party and insure the victory of Alcide de Gasperi.

    1953 Iran When the demogic premier Mohammed Mosadegh threatened Western oil interests Dulles- now CIA director- sent Teddy’s grandson Kermit Roosevelt to organize a Coup and install the much more malleable young Shah Reza Pahlevi.

    1954 Guatemala Choosing to view the Left-wing politics of Jacobo Arbenz as incompatible with the Monroe Doctrine Dulles orchestrated another Coup that sent the uncooperative “EL Presidente” packing and replaced him with a right-Winger more to our liking.

    1962 Cuba Humiliated by the Bay of Pigs disaster Robert Kennedy authorized three separate plots aimed at the overthrow and assassination of Fidel Castro- all abject failures including the infamous “Exploding Cigar” gambit.

    1963 South Vietnam Though he keenly regretted the unintended murder of the Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem, John Kennedy nonetheless had approved his overthrow by a group of Buddhist generals.

    1973 Chile In another CIA aided “Night of the Generals” President Salvador Allende , Latin America’s first elected Marxist was overthrown and replaced by Augusto Pinochet.

    To take a broader view of specifically electoral meddling it is useful to consult the massive study done by Professor Dov Levin of Carnegie Mellon University , which was recently (Dec. 21,2016) described in a lengthy article by Nina Agrawal in the Los Angles Times. As related in Levin’s highly detailed data base in the period 1946-2000 the United States intervened in no less than 81 foreign elections. By comparison our erstwhile Russian rivals intervened in 36 elections.

    Almost always these interventions were done secretly by either the CIA or KGB and almost invariably were conducted through a third party or “cut-out” thus enabling the U.S. or Russian governments to maintain “deniability” should their meddling be exposed publically as often was the case.

    U.S. interventions in two countries- Russia and Israel- are of particular interest.

    In 1996 Bill Clinton endorsed a 10.2 billion dollar International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan to Russia in full knowledge that large amounts of this money would be diverted by Boris Yeltsin to overwhelm his political opponents in that year’s Presidential election.

    Interestingly- as reported by the New York Times– a similar strategy was employed to influence the Russian presidential election in 2012 whereby large amounts of American cash was funneled through American sponsored “Non- Governmental Organizations “(NGOs) operating within Russia and ending up in the hands of Vladimir Putin’s electoral opponents. Putin won the election anyways, but did not forget who had aided his opponents, and perhaps he then resolved to one day “return the favor”.

    That U.S. election meddling can be aimed at friends as well as foes is well illustrated by two incidents involving Israel.

    In 1999 Bill Clinton sent James Carville, and other top Democratic strategists to Israel to assist Labor Party candidate Ehud Barak in his successful campaign to defeat Likud Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

    In 2013 the U.S. State Department gave $349,000 to an Israeli NGO called “One Voice Movement.” The purpose of the NGO and the money was ostensibly to promote “Middle East Peace” but in fact both were mainly devoted to the electoral defeat of Benjamin Netanyahu. All of this was revealed in a bipartisan U.S. Senate Committee report that condemned the State Dept. noting that its’ actions “while not strictly illegal were nonetheless entirely inappropriate’.

    So what is the real reason for the endless hysteria about “Russian meddling” emanating from the Democratic Party and its media allies? Historical amnesia? Hypocrisy? No, it is most basically the inability, the unwillingness to accept the results of the November election and the passionately felt imperative to pin the blame on anyone but themselves, while also doing everything possible to damage what they see as the absolutely unacceptable and illegitimate presidency of Donald Trump.

    William Moloney’s columns have appeared in the Wall St. Journal, USA Today, Washington Post, Washington Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, Baltimore Sun, and Human Events.
    http://www.ccu.edu/centennial/2017/0...ns-russia-usa/
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

  • #2
    When it was done during the Cold War to stop communism therefore Soviet military expansion it was necessary but when the Democrats did it with Israel it was against the interests of the US which is no surprise.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't forget the Banana Wars of the 20's and 30's, or Nicaragua and the Sandinistas... Eisenhower's invasion of the Dominican Republic in the 50's... Of course, the Mexican Revolution was a bit different. We had some very legit grievances there...

      Comment


      • #4
        It's funny how the most aggressive nation in the world right now is labeled as the good cops. I wish this lesson in history shifted opinion on American foreign policy, and our false status as the good guys, instead of being used to excuse what Russia did.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

        The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          It's funny how the most aggressive nation in the world right now is labeled as the good cops. I wish this lesson in history shifted opinion on American foreign policy, and our false status as the good guys, instead of being used to excuse what Russia did.
          Wow that's a whole lot of nuclear explosive white hot powered hatred you have for the US.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            It's funny how the most aggressive nation in the world right now is labeled as the good cops. I wish this lesson in history shifted opinion on American foreign policy, and our false status as the good guys, instead of being used to excuse what Russia did.
            The US has been over its history, far less violent and vicious to other nations than a good portion of the world. I would say since 1500, the most violent and war-like nations have been (in no particular order) Britain, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and Portugal.
            Honorable mentions go to the Ottoman Empire, Japan, Austria-Hungary.

            For sheer despotism, Belgium and Portugal easily take the dishonors. They were brutal colonial powers.

            The US for the most part, fought Indians and Pirates for most of its history. There were few major wars with US involvement in them. It has only been in the 20th Century that the US started flexing its muscles against other nations, and even then has been one of the less brutal victors in war.

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

            For example, the Mexican-American war of 1846... I'd expect any major European power to occupy Mexico and take over the nation as part of victory imposing military rule and a puppet government on them... As say... The French did-- TWICE!
            Instead, the US paid Mexico a big pile of cash as indemnity for taking most of what's now the Southwestern US and then withdrew from the country.

            So, to claim the US is "...the most aggressive nation in the world..." is to studiously ignore history.

            The US isn't "the good guys." The US is just one of the guys but one that needs to be provoked in a fight and is willing afterwards to shake hands and pat the loser on the back, saying "Let me know if you need a bit of help getting back on your feet."

            Compare the Treaty of Versailles of WW 1 and how Germany was treated to the Marshall Plan and how Germany was treated, mostly by the US, after WW 2. Compare the US treatment of Germany to that of the part Russia held...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              Just a short list....(remember, we are always the good cops)

              http://www.ccu.edu/centennial/2017/0...ns-russia-usa/
              You can add Interference in Ukraine's elections to that list

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
                Wow that's a whole lot of nuclear explosive white hot powered hatred you have for the US.
                This surprises you?

                For Leftists all over the world, the USA is the most monstrous evil that has ever been visited upon the human race. The real hard-core believers don't just hate it, but sit around plotting to eliminate or "Fundamentally transform" it ... and all of us.
                It speaks volumes that the US was able to survive having one such person as President.

                Or perhaps setting up a lazy, self-absorbed bi-sexual wussy like B. Hussein O. was their biggest mistake.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

                -Captain Jack

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  This surprises you?

                  For Leftists all over the world, the USA is the most monstrous evil that has ever been visited upon the human race. The real hard-core believers don't just hate it, but sit around plotting to eliminate or "Fundamentally transform" it ... and all of us.
                  It speaks volumes that the US was able to survive having one such person as President.

                  Or perhaps setting up a lazy, self-absorbed bi-sexual wussy like B. Hussein O. was their biggest mistake.



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    Just a short list....(remember, we are always the good cops)

                    http://www.ccu.edu/centennial/2017/0...ns-russia-usa/
                    Are you attempting to make a moral equivalence between Russia and the United States? That is absolute nonsense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                      You can add Interference in Ukraine's elections to that list
                      And in the Israeli elections, the Egyptian elections, the Brexit referendum....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Massena View Post
                        Are you attempting to make a moral equivalence between Russia and the United States? That is absolute nonsense.
                        This snippet pretty much sums up my point, Putin is paying us back for this,

                        In 1996 Bill Clinton endorsed a 10.2 billion dollar International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan to Russia in full knowledge that large amounts of this money would be diverted by Boris Yeltsin to overwhelm his political opponents in that year’s Presidential election.

                        Interestingly- as reported by the New York Times– a similar strategy was employed to influence the Russian presidential election in 2012 whereby large amounts of American cash was funneled through American sponsored “Non- Governmental Organizations “(NGOs) operating within Russia and ending up in the hands of Vladimir Putin’s electoral opponents. Putin won the election anyways, but did not forget who had aided his opponents, and perhaps he then resolved to one day “return the favor”.
                        There is no such thing as “moral equivalency” there is how ever, pay back.
                        Like you I believe the world is a better place with out the Soviet Union, but I am not so naive as to believe for one moment that there are many people who disagree and have an axe to grind and the power to do so.
                        One of the CIAs most successful election manipulations was carried out in Italy,
                        against the Communist politicians in office, the CIA planted documents along with faked photographs of our opponents with prostitutes. Leaked the story to the press, even hired prostitutes to talk to the media. They forged hotel records and planted “witnesses” to collaborate the story.
                        It worked.
                        Now doesn’t that sound familiar?
                        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                        Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          The US has been over its history, far less violent and vicious to other nations than a good portion of the world. I would say since 1500, the most violent and war-like nations have been (in no particular order) Britain, Spain, France, the Netherlands, and Portugal.
                          Honorable mentions go to the Ottoman Empire, Japan, Austria-Hungary.

                          For sheer despotism, Belgium and Portugal easily take the dishonors. They were brutal colonial powers.

                          The US for the most part, fought Indians and Pirates for most of its history. There were few major wars with US involvement in them. It has only been in the 20th Century that the US started flexing its muscles against other nations, and even then has been one of the less brutal victors in war.

                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

                          For example, the Mexican-American war of 1846... I'd expect any major European power to occupy Mexico and take over the nation as part of victory imposing military rule and a puppet government on them... As say... The French did-- TWICE!
                          Instead, the US paid Mexico a big pile of cash as indemnity for taking most of what's now the Southwestern US and then withdrew from the country.

                          So, to claim the US is "...the most aggressive nation in the world..." is to studiously ignore history.

                          The US isn't "the good guys." The US is just one of the guys but one that needs to be provoked in a fight and is willing afterwards to shake hands and pat the loser on the back, saying "Let me know if you need a bit of help getting back on your feet."

                          Compare the Treaty of Versailles of WW 1 and how Germany was treated to the Marshall Plan and how Germany was treated, mostly by the US, after WW 2. Compare the US treatment of Germany to that of the part Russia held...
                          That wasn't my claim. What nation is more aggressive geopolitically right now, ie present day?
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            That wasn't my claim. What nation is more aggressive geopolitically right now, ie present day?
                            China...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              China...
                              How many elections has China meddled in, how many sovereign governments have they tried to overthrow? How many countries bombed? How many countries invaded, how many countries threatened over the past 50 years? Their list is longer than the US? Let's see it and compare.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

                              The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X