Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Looks like we've drifted away from the topic...again.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied

Explains everything!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
    Talked to a taxi driver last week. She said she makes 150 to 200 a day, and never less than 100. Since it's all cash, I wondered how much she reported she made to the IRS. There isn't any kind of records kept. You call the cab company, which is working out of their house, they call the cab driver, she just jotted down the next pick up spot on a note pad.
    The IRS has their own schedule of average earnings, and they will tax based on what everyone else in the area makes in the same amount of time.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Man, you work for cheap, you should move to Los Gatos and you'll get $125 an hour. I got that at my custom cabinetry shop. Those cats got moola to spare. (Also after they try 'Krapmade' (Kraftmade) they're willing to pay for the good stuff. When they came in they told me what they wanted and asked how much would it cost vs this is my budget and what can I get...
    Probably the difference between AZ and CA.

AND the difference between a guy with a custom cabinet shop and a mostly retired guy working on the side. I suspect that TAG does projects like that in part just to stay busy and not be sitting at the house so bored that he gets a folder named after him.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I get that on side work. Doing a kitchen remuddle right now. It's what the customer wants. Recessed lighting, new drywall and electrical fixtures for now. $125 a day in labor (so far roughly 6 hour days) and $50 in just getting the materials.
    Got the second mud coat to do tomorrow and then put on the bezels and cover plates on the electrics. Maybe 2 hours at most... Done and gone. I'll get another $50 to put the new stove hood up when it arrives.
    Man, you work for cheap, you should move to Los Gatos and you'll get $125 an hour. I got that at my custom cabinetry shop. Those cats got moola to spare. (Also after they try 'Krapmade' (Kraftmade) they're willing to pay for the good stuff. When they came in they told me what they wanted and asked how much would it cost vs this is my budget and what can I get...

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    I get that on side work. Doing a kitchen remuddle right now. It's what the customer wants. Recessed lighting, new drywall and electrical fixtures for now. $125 a day in labor (so far roughly 6 hour days) and $50 in just getting the materials.
    Got the second mud coat to do tomorrow and then put on the bezels and cover plates on the electrics. Maybe 2 hours at most... Done and gone. I'll get another $50 to put the new stove hood up when it arrives.
    Skilled labor, not pulling the basket of fries up when a light comes on.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
    Uber and Lyft drivers as well if they know what they are doing.
    30-45 bucks an hour?

Maybe on Saturday Night at bar closing time. Or at a busy international airport running the routes from the terminal to the hotels. No way they're making that on anything approaching a regular basis. I ride Uber, the drivers are almost always on their second job and making ends meet at a working-class level. Actually my favorite Uber drivers are the couple of retired guys who do it because otherwise they'd be bored at home.....they're the best conversation, and they also have that grandfatherly air of trustworthyness......you can send your girlfriend home safely with a guy that shows up in a new Buick with an actual driving cap on.

I make 35 bucks an hour on contract time. That is working fairs, circuses, bars, special events, etc. That's not the every day pay rate for my line of work, well maybe in NY but who the hell wants to live up there with that cost of living.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Lawyers, engineers, general contractors?
    Certainly not flipping burgers.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
    Talked to a taxi driver last week. She said she makes 150 to 200 a day, and never less than 100. Since it's all cash, I wondered how much she reported she made to the IRS. There isn't any kind of records kept. You call the cab company, which is working out of their house, they call the cab driver, she just jotted down the next pick up spot on a note pad.

Leave a comment:

• phil74501
    replied
    The bigger maintenance and repair companies that do plumbing, electrical, or HVAC usually pay workers $50 to $75 per billable hour. Depending on volume and how carefully the worker manages his schedule and work time, you can make up to about $40 to $60 an hour working for one of these companies. If you are good at sales too, you can really make the bucks selling extra stuff to customers on top of what they originally called you out for. The average guy though ends up getting about $20 an hour unless he's really just not paying attention to his route and time.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    The bigger maintenance and repair companies that do plumbing, electrical, or HVAC usually pay workers $50 to $75 per billable hour. Depending on volume and how carefully the worker manages his schedule and work time, you can make up to about $40 to $60 an hour working for one of these companies. If you are good at sales too, you can really make the bucks selling extra stuff to customers on top of what they originally called you out for. The average guy though ends up getting about $20 an hour unless he's really just not paying attention to his route and time.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Uber and Lyft drivers as well if they know what they are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    What line of work are your 30 and 45 dollar an hour friends in?
    Consults, easily over 50 per hour, and add no value whatsoever to anything.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    "Medical" marijuana...?

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    What line of work are your 30 and 45 dollar an hour friends in?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X