Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A first in fast food: Union workers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A first in fast food: Union workers

    Right in Exo's backyard too!

    The Burgerville Worker's Union, an affiliate of the Industrial Workers of the World (aka Wobblies). So, the comrades at this burger joint now have their very own union.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/in-a-fi...e-to-unionize/

    I used the word "comrade" to describe them, because the IWW is Communist in all but name. They started the modern May Day too...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indust...s_of_the_World


    The IWW was founded in Chicago, Illinois in the United States in June 1905. A convention was held of 200 socialists, anarchists, Marxists (primarily members of the Socialist Party of America and Socialist Labor Party) radical trade unionists from all over the United States (mainly the Western Federation of Miners) who strongly opposed the policies of the American Federation of Labor (AFL). The IWW opposed the American Federation of Labor’s acceptance of capitalism and its refusal to include unskilled workers in craft unions.

    The IWW promotes the concept of "One Big Union", and contends that all workers should be united as a social class to supplant capitalism and wage labor with industrial democracy. They are known for the Wobbly Shop model of workplace democracy, in which workers elect their managers and other forms of grassroots democracy (self-management) are implemented. IWW membership does not require that one work in a represented workplace, nor does it exclude membership in another labor union.

  • #2
    So Chicago will be getting automated fast-food joints soon.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      So Chicago will be getting automated fast-food joints soon.
      Portland. This union formed in a Portland suburb. You know Portland = San Francisco II.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are just some fields of jobs that aren't supposed to be unionized, and I'm usually pro-union. Retail and food service come to mind. They are learning, transient positions, not careers. If you're more than a couple years out of high school and still working retail or food service and you're not in management, you need to reassess yourself.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          There are just some fields of jobs that aren't supposed to be unionized, and I'm usually pro-union. Retail and food service come to mind. They are learning, transient positions, not careers. If you're more than a couple years out of high school and still working retail or food service and you're not in management, you need to reassess yourself.
          That's alright... They'll be unemployed soon enough. You don't even need kiosks anymore:



          Order off your phone...

          The kitchen will get automated too. Then you need maybe one or two workers to handle exceptions and the odd problem, keep the machines loaded with ingredients, and of course keep each other awake...

          Comment


          • #6
            Unions are good but not all union members or leaders are good.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

            George S Patton

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Right in Exo's backyard too!

              The Burgerville Worker's Union, an affiliate of the Industrial Workers of the World (aka Wobblies). So, the comrades at this burger joint now have their very own union.

              https://www.cbsnews.com/news/in-a-fi...e-to-unionize/

              I used the word "comrade" to describe them, because the IWW is Communist in all but name. They started the modern May Day too...

              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indust...s_of_the_World
              It should also be remembered partner that our ancestors were union members, some where along the line.

              Its also a ploy to try and connect Unions to Communism. Some of the folk on fox news want you to be against everything Union related. I can see whats going on here, yes some Commies whom dislike America might also support workers rights and Unions. Now we have not even brought up WW2, Communists still get a break in my book because of that sacrifice of millions of Communists of the WW2 era. I dont mind Communists, its not like anyone anywhere has the power to over run our country anyway, democracy and liberal freedom will prevail in the USA.

              My Dad, Uncle and many many white Christian Americans whom abhor Communism were Union members, whether in the automobile or steel industry. In this sense these Unions were good. These were the types of Union members that waive a American flag outside their car or house. There are many people in the Northeast whom admire Unions, those are the good Unions with very low Union dues and a fair administration.

              If enough Americans organize a Union for a fast food restaurant chain, well I might support that Union. I would like to see the details of this Burgerville Worker's Union. If in any way shape or form this specific Union dislikes American freedom well they wont be getting my support. But if its the type of Union that includes WW2 posters praising the allies as many Union halls do, then Im in.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

              George S Patton

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                It should also be remembered partner that our ancestors were union members, some where along the line.

                Its also a ploy to try and connect Unions to Communism. Some of the folk on fox news want you to be against everything Union related. I can see whats going on here, yes some Commies whom dislike America might also support workers rights and Unions. Now we have not even brought up WW2, Communists still get a break in my book because of that sacrifice of millions of Communists of the WW2 era. I dont mind Communists, its not like anyone anywhere has the power to over run our country anyway, democracy and liberal freedom will prevail in the USA.

                My Dad, Uncle and many many white Christian Americans whom abhor Communism were Union members, whether in the automobile or steel industry. In this sense these Unions were good. These were the types of Union members that waive a American flag outside their car or house. There are many people in the Northeast whom admire Unions, those are the good Unions with very low Union dues and a fair administration.

                If enough Americans organize a Union for a fast food restaurant chain, well I might support that Union. I would like to see the details of this Burgerville Worker's Union. If in any way shape or form this specific Union dislikes American freedom well they wont be getting my support. But if its the type of Union that includes WW2 posters praising the allies as many Union halls do, then Im in.
                Mine weren't that I'm aware of. I don't think any of my immediate relatives were either. I worked at one job where there was one, but refused to join and waste my money on it. Good thing, saved me about $24,000 by the time I retired for them doing NOTHING! Not to mention one of the local's presidents stole about $35,000 in funds and wasn't forced to pay it all back or criminally charged... She bought herself a lifetime union membership with some of that...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  That's alright... They'll be unemployed soon enough. You don't even need kiosks anymore:



                  Order off your phone...

                  The kitchen will get automated too. Then you need maybe one or two workers to handle exceptions and the odd problem, keep the machines loaded with ingredients, and of course keep each other awake...
                  People still go to McDonald's?

                  Back in my college days, way back in the stone age, I was working at a grocery store making 3.35 an hour. Down the road from us was a Safeway store that was unionized. Those guys were making 8 something an hour, to start, this is 1984ish, for doing the exact same job I was doing. $8 an hour in 1984, for a non-skill job, especially in these parts, was pretty good money. Then Safeway bailed out of the state, and all those unionized grocery stockers went to making 3.35 an hour like the rest of us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't see this working in states with "Right to Work". I was in Unions twice. I never saw where they helped me any.

                    Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Unions? They do...



                      NOTHING!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Mine weren't that I'm aware of. I don't think any of my immediate relatives were either. I worked at one job where there was one, but refused to join and waste my money on it. Good thing, saved me about $24,000 by the time I retired for them doing NOTHING! Not to mention one of the local's presidents stole about $35,000 in funds and wasn't forced to pay it all back or criminally charged... She bought herself a lifetime union membership with some of that...
                        Mine weren't either.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A union is only as good as its members.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How many times is this record gonna be played? I'm too tired to get into this again..............union member for 37 years. At the very least I can safely say that mine actually saved lives...........That's good enough reason for a union in my mind.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                              How many times is this record gonna be played? I'm too tired to get into this again..............union member for 37 years. At the very least I can safely say that mine actually saved lives...........That's good enough reason for a union in my mind.
                              That is one industry where unions have worked. In most, they simply take worker's money and do little or nothing. Unions are usually necessary in places where the workers are stuck in a "career" that has low pay and little chance for advancement, where the employer is taking wholesale advantage of them.
                              I can remember the company stores here in Arizona that Phelps-Dodge ran. There are still a few company towns here like Duncan and Bagdad too. So, the mines are an exception where a union is necessary.

                              But, in most work environments, the union only drives up wages beyond market value and kills the goose that lays the golden egg. Look at what unions and greedy Democrat government did to Detroit.

                              Fast food isn't supposed to be a career choice. It's supposed to be a starter job, or maybe a second job for some extra money. It isn't something you work at for 30 years and then retire from.

                              Mining takes skill, particularly today. It's hard work and requires specific knowledge to perform. The corporations that do it also have room to advance from being just a miner to more skilled positions that pay better too. There isn't much room to move up as a fry cook...

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X