This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenager shot at for asking for directions

A Michigan teenager said he was almost killed Thursday after he knocked on a homeowner’s door asking for directions after he missed the bus.

"I got to the house, and I knocked on the lady's door. Then she started yelling at me and she was like, 'Why are you trying to break into my house?' I was trying to explain to her that I was trying to get directions to Rochester High. And she kept yelling at me. Then the guy came downstairs, and he grabbed the gun, I saw it and started to run. And that's when I heard the gunshot," Walker told FOX 2 Detroit.

Walker's mother said investigators showed her a recording of the encounter captured by the home's doorbell monitor.

"After watching the video and hearing the wife say 'Why did these people choose my house?' I knew it was racially motivated," Lisa Wright told WXYZ-TV. "I don't know what other 'these people' she could possibly have been talking about. He was by himself."
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/14...irections.html
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

there are way too many "Rambos" out there............guy needs to be charged.

Comment

It's happened before - fatally
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
        there are way too many "Rambos" out there............guy needs to be charged.
        And he had a previous charge for road rage. I wouldn't be surprised if his wife's had her ass kicked by him a few or many times.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Daytime residential burglars (the most common kind, since homeowners are generally out) first step is to knock on the door to see if anyone is home. If not, circle around through the alley and break in. A high percentage are teens, because the penalties for residential burglaries tend to be high, the juries unsympathetic, and the returns low. The rest tend to be junkies.

And if caught, they generally say they need to use a phone, ask for directions, are looking for a friend's house.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Daytime residential burglars (the most common kind, since homeowners are generally out) first step is to knock on the door to see if anyone is home. If not, circle around through the alley and break in. A high percentage are teens, because the penalties for residential burglaries tend to be high, the juries unsympathetic, and the returns low. The rest tend to be junkies.

And if caught, they generally say they need to use a phone, ask for directions, are looking for a friend's house.
            So better just take a shot at them.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Those are your words... How about posting a link with empirical evidence?

More over are you trying to say the kid deserved to be shot?

Did you actually watch the OPs linked video? The video shows real LE saying what the shooter did was in the wrong.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

We had someone suspicious knocking on our door immediately after a burglary of a neighbour. We have since revised our security. He was a middle age man man. Claimed he was selling fish but didn't have a fish van or business card. Told the police when they came round.

Back to the op

Knocking on the doors of several houses sounds very very dodgy....
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  We had someone suspicious knocking on our door immediately after a burglary of a neighbour. We have since revised our security. He was a middle age man man. Claimed he was selling fish but didn't have a fish van or business card. Told the police when they came round.
                  Yep. Even if someone's home, the burglar can match the car to the face, and get a look at the place; see how many locks are on the door and if they keep the door locked if they are home. Listen for dogs. See how suspicious the homeowners are, because suspicious people take precautions.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Knocking on the doors of several houses sounds very very dodgy....
                    Where did it say he went to several houses and what makes it dodgy?

Having done door to door sales as a teenager, I know first hand this woman's reaction is not uncommon.

My white co-worker would be invited inside, until they saw me trailing behind and all of a sudden we're not allowed in anymore and talking through a closed glassed door instead.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                      Where did it say he went to several houses and what makes it dodgy?

Having done door to door sales as a teenager, I know first hand this woman's reaction is not uncommon.

My white co-worker would be invited inside, until they saw me trailing behind and all of a sudden we're not allowed in anymore and talking through a closed glassed door instead.
                      I was reading the thread and aside from thinking "Ok, your point is? A-holes are A-holes?" I was getting all warm and fuzzy that this wasn't going in a familiar direction.

I was disappointed.

Should the Teen have been shot? No.

Was the guy an A-hole? Yes. Appears that he was a confirmed one before this incident.

What does race have to do about an A-hole shooting someone for knocking on his door? Or are you suggesting than a (Insert race other than....I'm going to take a wild guess without reading the article because I'm too busy at the moment.....African Descent) would have been given milk and cookies?

------

As to whatever 'point' you're getting at....you cannot force people, either through legislation or browbeating, into accepting everyone they meet until that person proves to be 'bad'. Humans have instincts, and those instincts are honed by their experiences. If those experiences and instincts tell someone that someone could be dodgy, then they might avoid interaction with them. Are those instincts justified? Sometimes, certainly not always.

In my current section, I'm more likely to jump out on a white guy, because my tuned instincts tell me that he doesn't belong in much of the area I patrol and might be there for no good reason. My instincts and experiences tell me that rich drunk white guys are the most likely to throw down for no apparent reason and with no possibility of success or flight.....they fight because they're drunk rich white morons. My instincts also pick up on a lot more human behavior characteristics because frankly I'm good at it and I've been doing it for most of a decade, which means I can make far more precise snap judgements based on far smaller elements of what makes up the whole person. Your average human paints with broad strokes because they're too insulated as a whole to discern sub-elements within those broad groups.
                      Last edited by TacCovert4; 14 Apr 18, 17:33.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The shooter convicted himself with his own security video, making him a highly ranked candidate for the Darwin Award this year!
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The shooter convicted himself with his own security video, making him a highly ranked candidate for the Darwin Award this year!
                          Innocent until proven guilty.

Guilty of what, in the end? Discharging a firearm in city limits?

To prove he was attempting to hit the potential burglar will require some doing, speaking from experience.

Looks like he may face, if found guilty, a fine not to exceed $250.

Assuming that the little thug doesn't have a record....

Comment

Innocent until proven guilty.

Guilty of what, in the end? Discharging a firearm in city limits?

To prove he was attempting to hit the potential burglar will require some doing, speaking from experience.

Looks like he may face, if found guilty, a fine not to exceed $250.

Assuming that the little thug doesn't have a record....
                            He wasn't a "thug". If he wasn't attempting to hit the kid, why was he shooting? Besides, the kid was running away and posed no danger. Michigan isn't as wide open with the use of force as Texas.
                            Last edited by johns624; 14 Apr 18, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              I was reading the thread and aside from thinking "Ok, your point is? A-holes are A-holes?" I was getting all warm and fuzzy that this wasn't going in a familiar direction.

I was disappointed.

Should the Teen have been shot? No.

Was the guy an A-hole? Yes. Appears that he was a confirmed one before this incident.

What does race have to do about an A-hole shooting someone for knocking on his door? Or are you suggesting than a (Insert race other than....I'm going to take a wild guess without reading the article because I'm too busy at the moment.....African Descent) would have been given milk and cookies?

------

As to whatever 'point' you're getting at....you cannot force people, either through legislation or browbeating, into accepting everyone they meet until that person proves to be 'bad'. Humans have instincts, and those instincts are honed by their experiences. If those experiences and instincts tell someone that someone could be dodgy, then they might avoid interaction with them. Are those instincts justified? Sometimes, certainly not always.

In my current section, I'm more likely to jump out on a white guy, because my tuned instincts tell me that he doesn't belong in much of the area I patrol and might be there for no good reason. My instincts and experiences tell me that rich drunk white guys are the most likely to throw down for no apparent reason and with no possibility of success or flight.....they fight because they're drunk rich white morons. My instincts also pick up on a lot more human behavior characteristics because frankly I'm good at it and I've been doing it for most of a decade, which means I can make far more precise snap judgements based on far smaller elements of what makes up the whole person. Your average human paints with broad strokes because they're too insulated as a whole to discern sub-elements within those broad groups.
                              For only knocking at the door? Again having personal experience with this, I can't be naive to why this situation escalated to a shooting.

I'm not telling anyone how to think, just don't tell me race doesn't matter.
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X