Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cohen's office raided by the FBI: The beginning of the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cohen's office raided by the FBI: The beginning of the end?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ce20fb391306

Excerpts

Trump attorney Cohen is being investigated for possible bank fraud, campaign finance violations, according to a person familiar with the case
    Among the records seized were those related to a 2016 payment Cohen made to adult-film star Stormy Daniels, who claims to have had a sexual encounter with Trump, according to another person familiar with the investigators’ work.

Investigators took Cohen’s computer, phone and personal financial records as part of the search of his office at Rockefeller Center, the second person said.

The broad seizure collected communications between Cohen and his clients — including some with Trump, according to both people.

The raid was related to an investigation referred by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III to federal prosecutors in New York, said Stephen Ryan, an attorney for Cohen.
    On Monday evening, Trump called the raid of his attorney’s office and home “a disgraceful situation.”

“I have this witch hunt constantly going on,” the president said.
    This appears to head towards a confrontation between Mueller and Trump.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

The NYT gives a slightly different picture...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/u...T.nav=top-news

Federal prosecutors in Manhattan are investigating Mr. Cohen for possible bank fraud, and the documents identified in the warrant date back years, according to a person briefed on the search.

The prosecutors obtained the search warrant after receiving a referral from the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to Mr. Cohen’s lawyer, who called the search “completely inappropriate and unnecessary.”The search does not appear to be directly related to Mr. Mueller’s investigation, but most likely resulted from information that he had uncovered and gave to prosecutors in New York.

“Today the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York executed a series of search warrants and seized the privileged communications between my client, Michael Cohen, and his clients,” said Stephen Ryan, his lawyer. “I have been advised by federal prosecutors that the New York action is, in part, a referral by the office of special counsel, Robert Mueller.”
    Bold mine
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

If they could do this before he starts ww3 it would be nice. But, I doubt anything comes of this particular seizure. The Stormy Daniels situation, while it shows the type of person Trump is, impulsive, liar, poor values, untrustworthy etc. He's not going to be impeached over it.

I don't think they have enough evidence of anything else. But, let him finish out his term. It's funny seeing all these republicans support big government policies all of a sudden. Maybe it'll force more independents to libertarian.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        If they could do this before he starts ww3 it would be nice. But, I doubt anything comes of this particular seizure. The Stormy Daniels situation, while it shows the type of person Trump is, impulsive, liar, poor values, untrustworthy etc. He's not going to be impeached over it.

I don't think they have enough evidence of anything else. But, let him finish out his term. It's funny seeing all these republicans support big government policies all of a sudden. Maybe it'll force more independents to libertarian.
        It is not just about finding something related to the Russian probe or Trump. Even if this investigation is only about Cohen, this development may be used by Trump to fire Mueller...

Comment

And as for the Stormy Daniels story, I suspect the issue is if they used campaign finance funds to pay her. You see, the story of having Cohen using his own money to pay her $150,000 (I think) without telling Trump just to protect him, sounds ridiculous!

Comment

Another irrelevance to the Russia campaign issue. Seems the FBI was looking for stuff related to Trump nondisclosure agreements and trysts he had had in the past. Seems to me Mueller is going to the ends of the universe to find something, anything, on Trump now.
            This has nothing to do with his original mandate regarding improprieties with Russia and the Presidential campaign.

If Cohen is under investigation for other personal charges, that too is irrelevant to the Trump issue.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Another irrelevance to the Russia campaign issue. Seems the FBI was looking for stuff related to Trump nondisclosure agreements and trysts he had had in the past. Seems to me Mueller is going to the ends of the universe to find something, anything, on Trump now.
              This has nothing to do with his original mandate regarding improprieties with Russia and the Presidential campaign.

If Cohen is under investigation for other personal charges, that too is irrelevant to the Trump issue.

Actually, there is no information regarding if and to which extend this is related to the Russian probe. What we know is that the raid was conducted by federal prosecutors in MANHATTAN and not be Mueller.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/09/polit...hen/index.html

President Donald Trump slammed the FBI raid on his personal attorney Michael Cohen's office and hotel room as a "disgraceful situation" and "an attack on our country."

"I just heard that they broke into the office of one of my personal attorneys. Good man. And it's a disgraceful situation. It's a total witch hunt," Trump said Monday, referring to a lawful FBI raid.

"It's an attack on our country," Trump said. "It's an attack on what we all stand for."
                Bold mine...

I hope the Second Amendment Trump-bots will not interpret this statement as a call to arms against the FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                  Actually, there is no information regarding if and to which extend this is related to the Russian probe. What we know is that the raid was conducted by federal prosecutors in MANHATTAN and not be Mueller.
                  An attorney for Cohen told The Post that the search was related to an investigation referred to the Justice Department by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. In March, The Post reported that Cohen’s had caught Mueller’s eye, with the special counsel’s team questioning witnesses about Cohen’s actions and requesting documents from Trump’s attorney.

Monday’s raid, though, was conducted at the direction of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, not the special counsel. Last week, Mueller’s team revealed in a court filing that deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein (who, in May 2017, appointed Mueller to serve in his current position) had outlined in a memo last August particular areas for the special counsel’s team to investigate. Mueller could expand those boundaries, but only after getting Rosenstein’s approval. In this case, it seems, Rosenstein referred the question to the U.S. attorney instead.
                  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

So, the NY US Attorney's office was acting in part, if not in whole, on Mueller's orders.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

So, the NY US Attorney's office was acting in part, if not in whole, on Mueller's orders.
                    Nope: Mueller cannot order them...

But he can certainly share findings with them.

Mueller also cooperated with local federal prosecutors in the case of Manafort

Comment

But he can certainly share findings with them
                      Seems he can according to the rather Progressive Salon magazine...

FBI agents on Monday raided the office of Michael D. Cohen, President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney, seizing records related to a range of topics — including payments to adult film actress Stormy Daniels.
                      Federal prosecutors in Manhattan obtained the search warrant after receiving a referral from the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, according to Cohen’s lawyer, who called the search “completely inappropriate and unnecessary,” the New York Times reported.

Monday’s search did not appear to be directly related to Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, but likely resulted from information Mueller had uncovered and gave to prosecutors in New York, the Times said.

“Today the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York executed a series of search warrants and seized the privileged communications between my client, Michael Cohen, and his clients,” Stephen Ryan, Michael Cohen’s lawyer, said. “I have been advised by federal prosecutors that the New York action is, in part, a referral by the Office of Special Counsel, Robert Mueller.”
                      https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...hen/ar-AAvGQI2

Comment

Seems he can according to the rather Progressive Salon magazine...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...hen/ar-AAvGQI2
                        It seems you do not understand the difference between receiving a referral and receiving an order...

Not to mention the "in part" which you decided to dismiss.

Comment

But he can certainly share findings with them
                          And in return, they can share their findings with Mueller.

Cohen is Trumps lawyer. He has a treasure trove of information on his computer. Of course, much of it is priviledged, so procedures must be followed. Assuming the Manhatten DA properly follows Section 9-13.420, they will set up a “taint team”. This team will review ALL of Muellers computer files and share non-priviledged information specific to the warrant with the Manhatten DA. But if they do “happen” to come across information about other crimes (any crime) regarding Trump, and assuming that information is not priviledged, they may be able to share that information with Mueller.

Comment

Originally posted by Work_permit View Post
                            And in return, they can share their findings with Mueller.

Cohen is Trumps lawyer. He has a treasure trove of information on his computer. Of course, much of it is priviledged, so procedures must be followed. Assuming the manhatten DA properly follows Section 9-13.420, they will set up a “taint team”. This team will review ALL of Muellers computer files and share non-priviledged information specific to the warrant on with the Manhatten DA. But if they do “happen” to come across information about other crimes (any crime) regarding Trump, and assuming that information is not priviledged, they may be able to share that information with Mueller.
                            Bold mine

Indeed..

which is why I see this escalating to a confrontation between Trump and Mueller.

Comment

and the irony (I suspect) is that Trump's recent statement that he knew nothing about his lawyer paying Daniels may have weighted substantially in the FBI prosecutor's attempt to meet the requirements of "probable cause" and to get a search warrant against Cohen...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X