Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Sets His Sights on Iran, Now that Attempted War with North Korea has Backfired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    But, at the time it was one view held, even if not widely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMD_co...vasion_of_Iraq

There was considerable speculation at the time what I suggested might be the case. But, it was just one conjecture of many floating around. I'd say it is normal and wise on the part of Generals and intelligence agencies to assume the worst case is the true case and act accordingly. After all, if you take the best case scenario, it might well get broken off in your posterior.
    At the time, the investigation about the WMDs had just started. There were many initial misconceptions (and often deliberate attempts to mislead) to justify the invasion. But over time, we got a much better picture of the situation inside Saddam's regime...
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• UK scientists are to train Iraqis on how to dispose of the remnants of chemical weapons created during Saddam Hussein's regime.
      Thousands of tonnes of weapons were produced by the dictator's government and most were destroyed after the first Gulf War - but some remain.
      The Ministry of Defence will be providing training at its facility in Porton Down, Wiltshire.
      Defence minister Nick Harvey said the UK was "glad to support" Iraq.
      The chemical materials are contained in two sealed bunkers at the old Al Muthanna Chemicals Weapons Complex, a large site in the western desert 80km north-west of Baghdad.
      This was the principal manufacturing plant for chemical agents and munitions during Saddam Hussein's rule, the MoD says.
      Iraq used these weapons during the Iran-Iraq war of 1980 to 1988 and against the Kurds in Halabja in 1988, an attack which killed between 3,200 and 5,000 people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-19076872

How soon they forget...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Whatever they had, they got from the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          UK scientists are to train Iraqis on how to dispose of the remnants of chemical weapons created during Saddam Hussein's regime.
          Thousands of tonnes of weapons were produced by the dictator's government and most were destroyed after the first Gulf War - but some remain.
          The Ministry of Defence will be providing training at its facility in Porton Down, Wiltshire.
          The chemical materials are contained in two sealed bunkers at the old Al Muthanna Chemicals Weapons Complex, a large site in the western desert 80km north-west of Baghdad.
          This was the principal manufacturing plant for chemical agents and munitions during Saddam Hussein's rule, the MoD says.
          Iraq used these weapons during the Iran-Iraq war of 1980 to 1988 and against the Kurds in Halabja in 1988, an attack which killed between 3,200 and 5,000 people.

How soon they forget...
          This is because at that time Saddam had good relations with the US and even got intelligence help when he invaded Iran

How soon you forget...
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

UK scientists are to train Iraqis on how to dispose of the remnants of chemical weapons created during Saddam Hussein's regime.

How soon they forget...
            Again with those pesky facts that'll do nothing but trigger liberals and send them into a new bout of whinging denial.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

How soon they forget...
              Indeed.

And of course, had we not invaded and there had been even one unit of fire of chemical weapons used the liberals would have lambasted Bush for not 'solving the problem'.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post
                and from your source of the NYT article which you did not bother to provide

[url]https://www.webcitation.org/6TVYqgsp2?url=http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&versi on=Banner&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1[/ur

Do you expect that the Democrat NYT would support an invasion of Iraq ordered by a GOP president ?

The motto of the NYT is : the enemy of a GOP president is my ally .

But Chivers was forced to admit that Saddam had CW and that US army suffered casualties by these weapons .

Several Democrats also admitted that Saddam had CW and was a threat for the US .

The facts are

1) Saddam had CW,which was a violation of the armistice conditions and refused to allow inspections ;these 2 points were sufficient for invasion.

2 ) Even if the possession of CW and the refusal to allow inspections,were not violations of the armistice ,the fact that he had such weapons was a threat for the US and justified an invasion . After 9/11 (which was applauded by Saddam ) US could not risk an other attack, this time with CW .

Saddam was an enemy of the US and plotted his revanche (when Clinton was potus, the intelligence services discovered an Iraqi plot to asssassinate old Bush and Clinton riposted by an air attack ).

It would have been suicidal from young Bush to do nothing and allow Saddam to restore his arsenal of CW .

On 9/11 3000 people died by an attack with conventional weapons;how many would have died by an attack with CW ?

Comment

This is because at that time Saddam had good relations with the US and even got intelligence help when he invaded Iran

How soon you forget...
                  Nothing wrong : Saddam was a bastion against Khomeini .

Comment

• " There is ample evidence that Iraq has produced toxic VX nerve gas and anthrax and has the capacity to produce a lot more .

It has concealed these materials,lied about them,and more recently failed to account for them to the current inspectors ."

Who told this ? Fox ? NO : it was the NYT on February 15 2003, under the title : Disarming Iraq . (which is also the link ) .

What the Democratic NYT said was more than sufficient to attack Iraq .

Besides, the opponents of the invasion (and thus supprters of doing nothing ) had and have no alternative : the American people would not have accepted to do nothing , it would also not have accepted a policy of doing nothing on 8 december 1941 .

The Bush Administration made 3 mistakes (and the responsibility of Powell is crushing ) :

1) It waited too long to invade Iraq

2 ) After the defeat of Iraq,it remained in Iraq

3 ) It sent a big army to Afghanistan to catch Bin Laden,which failed : OBL was caught by the special forces after 10 years of fighting ,not by the big army .

The responsibles for these mistakes were the liberals and neo-cons .

Comment

How soon they forget...
                      Uhm you might want to re-read that 2nd last paragraph......

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                        Do you expect that the Democrat NYT would support an invasion of Iraq ordered by a GOP president ?

The motto of the NYT is : the enemy of a GOP president is my ally .

But Chivers was forced to admit that Saddam had CW and that US army suffered casualties by these weapons .

Several Democrats also admitted that Saddam had CW and was a threat for the US .

The facts are

1) Saddam had CW,which was a violation of the armistice conditions and refused to allow inspections ;these 2 points were sufficient for invasion.

2 ) Even if the possession of CW and the refusal to allow inspections,were not violations of the armistice ,the fact that he had such weapons was a threat for the US and justified an invasion . After 9/11 (which was applauded by Saddam ) US could not risk an other attack, this time with CW .

Saddam was an enemy of the US and plotted his revanche (when Clinton was potus, the intelligence services discovered an Iraqi plot to asssassinate old Bush and Clinton riposted by an air attack ).

It would have been suicidal from young Bush to do nothing and allow Saddam to restore his arsenal of CW .

On 9/11 3000 people died by an attack with conventional weapons;how many would have died by an attack with CW ?
                        You create your own facts. That there were stockpiles of abandoned chemical weapons was known even before the invasion. I GAVE YOU the report of chief UN inspector in which the issue of the chemical stocks is discussed. It also mentioned the more than the 400 unannounced inspections he carried up until Feb 2003! Do you read what I post or do you simply close your eyes?

This is the quote I posted earlier from the chief UN inspector's report to the Security Council...

Since we arrived in Iraq, we have conducted more than 400 inspections covering more than 300 sites. All inspections were performed without notice, and access was almost always provided promptly. In no case have we seen convincing evidence that the Iraqi side knew in advance that the inspectors were coming.

The inspections have taken place throughout Iraq at industrial sites, ammunition depots, research centres, universities, presidential sites, mobile laboratories, private houses, missile production facilities, military camps and agricultural sites.

Comment

You create your own facts. That there were stockpiles of abandoned chemical weapons was known even before the invasion. I GAVE YOU the report of chief UN inspector in which the issue of the chemical stocks is discussed. It also mentioned the more than the 400 unannounced inspections he carried up until Feb 2003! Do you read what I post or do you simply close your eyes?

This is the quote I posted earlier from the chief UN inspector's report to the Security Council...
                          Can't read in a dark space.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                            Again with those pesky facts that'll do nothing but trigger liberals and send them into a new bout of whinging denial.
                            You really are one

The issue of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was central to the case put for UK involvement in the 2003 war, but no significant stockpiles of usable chemical or biological weapons were ever found.
                            I know it's written in British but try hard to read the post.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

That there were stockpiles of chemical weapons, abandoned or not, was sufficient reason for an invasion . Abandoned CW could easily become operational .

Comment

• The UNSC resolution nr 687 from April 3 1991 obliged Iraq to remove and destroy all chemical and biological weapons .

Iraq failed to do this .

The concluding paragraph 34 was interpreted as : "Obey or we will force you to by all means necessary ."

This paragraph was used as an international justification for the 1996 and 1998 air attacks ordered by Clinton .

If Clinton had the right to bomb Iraq founded on resolution 687, why had Bush not the right to invade Iraq founded on resolution 687,especially after what happened on 9 /11 ?

Because of domestic political reasons, the Democrats, who had supported Clinton, refused to support Bush and were putting the safety of the people of the US behind their hostility to Bush, who was for most of them not the legitimate potus (who was Gore) but only an usurpator . As not for the first time, the Democrats were putting party before country .If Bush had not invaded Iraq and AQ had done a new attack with CW resulting in tens of thousands of deaths, the Democrats would have been the first to blame Bush ,as they blamed him for 9/11 .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X