Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Sets His Sights on Iran, Now that Attempted War with North Korea has Backfired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They had meetings. But, Al Qaeda turned Saddam down on the religious aspect. Notes were found when the US invaded, and this was reported in the Toronto Sun at the time. The US MSM ignored it entirely. The Canadian paper included a photo of some of the notes.

So, it is possible, in a pinch and needing somewhere safe to hide al Qaeda could have moved to Iraq following the US invasion of Afghanistan. It doesn't mean they would have, but it is certainly possible they could have.

And, yes, cleaning out all the other terrorists there was a good thing. I think the funniest one was a female German citizen who was a member of the Red Brigades in Germany who showed up at the Frankfurt airport a few days before the US invaded and turned herself into German authorities who wanted her for firebombing nightclubs full of US GI's killing several. She got 30 years, the max in Germany. Guess that's better than a stay at GITMO or a US trial and possible death penalty...
    Bold mine...

I do not trust your memory of recalling things. Without links your claims are baseless and seem more like part of the attempts at the time to justify the colossal mistake of invading Iraq.

And by the way, there are links from news organizations such as the BBC which claimed that we funded OBL when he was fighting against the Soviets
    And in contrast to your practice, I will provide the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1670089.stm
    Last edited by pamak; 05 Apr 18, 17:26.
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
      Bold mine...

I do not trust your memory of recalling things. Without links your claims are baseless and seem more like part of the attempts at the time to justify the colossal mistake of invading Iraq.

And by the way, there are links from news organizations such as the BBC which claimed that we funded OBL when he was fighting against the Soviets
      And in contrast to your practice, I will provide the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1670089.stm
      https://www.nysun.com/foreign/saddam...ts-show/29746/

http://www.weeklystandard.com/saddam...n/article/4277

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam...nk_allegations

They met more than once, but were not working together as stated. That doesn't mean that al Qaeda might have changed their mind in a crisis.

Comment

https://www.nysun.com/foreign/saddam...ts-show/29746/

http://www.weeklystandard.com/saddam...n/article/4277

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam...nk_allegations

They met more than once, but were not working together as stated. That doesn't mean that al Qaeda might have changed their mind in a crisis.
        No they did not!

from your links

One of these was a handwritten account of a February 19, 1995, meeting between an official representative of Iraq and Mr. bin Laden himself, where Mr. bin Laden broached the idea of "carrying out joint operations against foreign forces" in Saudi Arabia. The document, which has no official stamps or markers, reports that when Saddam was informed of the meeting on March 4, 1995 he agreed to broadcast sermons of a radical imam, Suleiman al Ouda, requested by Mr. bin Laden.
        and

9/11 Commission conclusions[edit]
        In the summer of 2004, the 9/11 Commission concluded that "to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States."[24][25][26]
        In other words, Saddam did not meet OBL but apparently there were some contacts through third parties. In other words, not that much different from our contacts in Afghanistan when OBL was fighting against the Soviets. Actually, if the only thing they could find after having full access to Iraq's archives and captured officials is that Saddam agreed to let the broadcast of a sermon, there is nothing important that came out of such contacts.
        Last edited by pamak; 05 Apr 18, 17:59.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
          No they did not!

from your links

and

In other words, Saddam did not meet OBL but apparently there were some contacts through third parties. In other words, not that much different from our contacts in Afghanistan when OBL was fighting against the Soviets. Actually, if the only thing they could find after having full access to Iraq's archives and captured officials is that Saddam agreed to let the broadcast of a sermon, there is nothing important that came out of such contacts.
          You're being obtuse now.

Comment

You're being obtuse now.
            No I am not! You are when you try to use such evidence to argue about the possibility of having AQ seeking safety in Iraq...

Comment

Al Qaeda wasn't welcomed into Iraq until after the US was preparing for war with Saddam there was no connection before that they were a threat to Saddams rule as he couldn't control them.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                Still not a valid reason to invade a country.
                There were 4 valid reasons to invade Iraq

1) Saddam openly violated the First Gulf War armistice conditions

2) He was considerd as a serious threat for the US ,even Ted Kennedy admitted it .

3) The invasion was needed to restore US' credibility :US had to do something,something big and spectacular :the invasion of Iraq was big and spectacular .

4) Bush had to do something,otherwise he would not be reelected ;he did something and was reelected .

To not invade Iraq would be considered as cowardice and would mean the end of the US as big power and the end of Bush .

The choice was between going after Saddam or remaining in a corner to whine as a little child that was bullied .

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                  (...) ,even Ted Kennedy admitted it .
                  Well it must be true then

WTF is Ted Kennedy - let me check..

Edit, Well at least now I know about the "Chappaquiddick incident" - doesn't say much about the Iraq war though, except this,

However, Kennedy strongly opposed the Iraq War from the start, and was one of 23 senators voting against the Iraq War Resolution in October 2002.[224] As the Iraqi insurgency grew in subsequent years, Kennedy pronounced that the conflict was "Bush's Vietnam."[224] In response to losses of Massachusetts service personnel to roadside bombs, Kennedy became vocal on the issue of Humvee vulnerability, and co-sponsored enacted 2005 legislation that sped up production and Army procurement of up-armored Humvees.[224]
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

??
                  Last edited by Snowygerry; 06 Apr 18, 03:12.
                  Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                    2) He was considerd as a serious threat for the US ,even Ted Kennedy admitted it .
                    Define serious threat. What danger did Iraq present to any American citizen?

3) The invasion was needed to restore US' credibility :US had to do something,something big and spectacular :the invasion of Iraq was big and spectacular .
                    So every once in awhile we have to smack someone around in order to be seen as credible? ie bullying.

The Iraq war did not restore our credibility, it severely hurt America's image.

4) Bush had to do something,otherwise he would not be reelected ;he did something and was reelected .
                    Going to war to be reelected is not a justifiable reason. Do any of you people have a remote sense of civility? Your brain can't compute anything that doesn't involve murder and imperialism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      Well it must be true then

WTF is Ted Kennedy - let me check..

Edit, Well at least now I know about the "Chappaquiddick incident" - doesn't say much about the Iraq war though, except this,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

??
                      Ted Kennedy on September 27 2002 :

"SADDAM HUSSEIN IS SEEKING AND DEVELOPPING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION ."

Case closed , unless ou want the president of the US to wait till the US are attacked by weapons of mass destruction .

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                        Define serious threat. What danger did Iraq present to any American citizen?

Saddam had WMD, he had used them already, he refused inspection by the UN, he could not be trusted, thus : out with him .

Comment

So every once in awhile we have to smack someone around in order to be seen as credible? ie bullying.
                          US are a great power.

They were attacked .

They could not remain in a corner and whine .

They had to strike back and teach the world that no one could attack the US unpunishedly .

What is the use of having world's strongest military arsenal, if one has not the guts to use it ?

After PH, US struck back, after 9/11 US struck also back .

Comment

The Iraq war did not restore our credibility, it severely hurt America's image.

Usual attempt of deflection : we are not talking about the Iraq war, but about the invasion of Iraq .

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                              Ted Kennedy on September 27 2002 :

"SADDAM HUSSEIN IS SEEKING AND DEVELOPPING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION ."

Case closed , unless ou want the president of the US to wait till the US are attacked by weapons of mass destruction .
                              What case closed?

Are you aware that he simply copied the statements from the intelligence agencies that were proven wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                                Usual attempt of deflection : we are not talking about the Iraq war, but about the invasion of Iraq .
                                Ignore the troll.
                                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X