the EPA gets a major reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Common sense is not so common. Even among our esteemed posters. This s just an internet forum. We don't get extra pay for being right.

Pruitt
    Aw, man, I wish I did.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
      As for my frustration, I have zero frustration when people do not answer back. The frustration builds on when people try to answer my posts with silly memes and snarky comments.
      Or when I see people using their ignore list not because they want to avoid dealing with me or other people but because they want to have a parapet of safety behind which they regularly snipe the people who are supposedly on the ignore list. Rimmer is a classic example of this. He has almost everybody on the "left" on his ignore list and then instead of really ignoring the people on his list, he feels for some reason the need to publicly call these people "trolls" whenever some of his buddies have a conversation with some "leftist". The phrase "ignore the troll" which I saw twice last week just from Rimmer alone when I was browsing the different threads is a clear example of baiting behind the security of his ignore list. Others do the same thing too. Does this mean that repeatedly calling people "trolls" is less offensive than calling them once "liars" or snowflakes?

And yes, I know this is not Congress. It is a forum which started as one in which people were willing to have extensive discussions about historical events, and I expect a similar attitude when we discuss political ones. It is not unreasonable expectation to think that this forum is not twitter! But still, I have no problem with people who do not want to participate in such discussions as long as they let me have the conversations I have with the people who are willing to debate me without trying to intervene with silly comments and provocations which have zero value in the conversation that is going on. They moment these people try to play their silly games, I have no problem to return them the favor.
      Fine, whatever. I was just checking to see if you would consider modifying your approach, even temporarily, but so be it.

And the next time you get frustrated trying to modify the opinion of people for whom your posts all drip with scorn and hate and derision... just remember the moment one of them tried to reach out to you.
      It probably won't be happening again.

So, I guess it's time to resume the usual ranting and raving...

Meh, count me out, a few days of this crap is enough for me. Maybe I'll be back this summer, maybe.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

In a vain hope of returning to the subject, what major changes might we expect from the EPA under this new management?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          Fine, whatever. I was just checking to see if you would consider modifying your approach, even temporarily, but so be it.

And the next time you get frustrated trying to modify the opinion of people for whom your posts all drip with scorn and hate and derision... just remember the moment one of them tried to reach out to you.
          It probably won't be happening again.

So, I guess it's time to resume the usual ranting and raving...

Meh, count me out, a few days of this crap is enough for me. Maybe I'll be back this summer, maybe.
          I modify my approach based on how people ACT. And I have examples in this forum to show that I have no problem to have a polite debate or conversation with people who show a genuine desire to talk and explore our common ground and our disagreements instead of hiding behind excessive ignore lists, sniping, trolling or baiting...

Last example was this!

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...7&postcount=42

I agree that it is an open question regarding other types of funding. It will be a matter of how SCOTUS will apply the Equal Protection Clause. And I also agree that encouragement of illegal immigration should not be rewarded by the feds.
          By the way, thanks for the short and to the point posts which do not try to score cheap political points. This is quite rare here...
          I do not think that I and TacCovert4 belong to the same ideological side

I have even polite conversations or debates with people with whom I had fierce confrontations in the past. Ask Nichols to verify my words. In a thread in which he brought links with information to support his position, I appreciated his effort and I was very kind to him because he was also very kind to me. Incidentally in the same thread, I had a big confrontation with Salinator. when he decided to go after me without providing a single link to bring anything interesting into the discussion I had with Nichols. See the following link

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...embassy&page=5
          Last edited by pamak; 01 Apr 18, 19:04.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Or when I see people using their ignore list not because they want to avoid dealing with me or other people but because they want to have a parapet of safety behind which they regularly snipe the people who are supposedly on the ignore list. Rimmer is a classic example of this. He has almost everybody on the "left" on his ignore list and then instead of really ignoring the people on his list, he feels for some reason the need to publicly call these people "trolls" whenever some of his buddies have a conversation with some "leftist". The phrase "ignore the troll" which I saw twice last week just from Rimmer alone when I was browsing the different threads is a clear example of baiting behind the security of his ignore list.
            Good point. Most of them act like little cowards.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
              Good point. Most of them act like little cowards.
              With this contribution, let us return to the OP.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Climate-gate was just the tip of the iceberg. Over the years climate scientists have lied to the public repeatedly. That doesn't mean that there is absolutely no validity to global warming but it does mean that the wrong people are doing the research.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                  Climate-gate was just the tip of the iceberg. Over the years climate scientists have lied to the public repeatedly. That doesn't mean that there is absolutely no validity to global warming but it does mean that the wrong people are doing the research.
                  (My bold) From a strictly scientific view so far as I can see, global warming - as well as global cooling and climate change in general - have always been part of a natural cycle on this planet.
                  Fossil records and geological evidence, in general, do appear to support this. The argument has never really been about that.

The argument, such as it is, revolves around the question of human activity contributing to, or influencing, climate change patterns.
                  Some folks don't seem to acknowledge that distinction and this can cause misunderstandings, IMO.
                  "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Humans can and do alter "climate" through history. The Romans encouraged farming in North Africa and the loss of water caused made it dryer and warmer. The Sahara advanced towards the coast as a result. Cutting down the forest in Southeast Brazil took a lot of moisture out of the area and it dried up.

The Amazon basin was once changed by man. The soil was changed and some rivers diverted and catch basins created. The people also plated a lot of nut and fruit trees. The Southwest Plateau was desertified when Indians tried to farm the lands, build houses and grow maize. The loss of the Pinon trees caused soil erosion and there was nothing to hold water.

The list goes on. The problem is more of stopping development in deserts and maybe try to replant some areas that have not blown away.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      Humans can and do alter "climate" through history. The Romans encouraged farming in North Africa and the loss of water caused made it dryer and warmer. The Sahara advanced towards the coast as a result. Cutting down the forest in Southeast Brazil took a lot of moisture out of the area and it dried up.

The Amazon basin was once changed by man. The soil was changed and some rivers diverted and catch basins created. The people also plated a lot of nut and fruit trees. The Southwest Plateau was desertified when Indians tried to farm the lands, build houses and grow maize. The loss of the Pinon trees caused soil erosion and there was nothing to hold water.

The list goes on. The problem is more of stopping development in deserts and maybe try to replant some areas that have not blown away.

Pruitt
                      I agree and I've no doubt that human activity has, for a long time, had impacts on the environment and - to some extent - climate too.

I also think the last century or two - and especially in the period since WW2 - with steeper increases in industrial activity and an exponentially massive growth in human population, can only have magnified these effects.

It seems to me that we are just beginning to properly wake up to some of the consequences of all this.
                      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                        I agree and I've no doubt that human activity has, for a long time, had impacts on the environment and - to some extent - climate too.

I also think the last century or two - and especially in the period since WW2 - with steeper increases in industrial activity and an exponentially massive growth in human population, can only have magnified these effects.

It seems to me that we are just beginning to properly wake up to some of the consequences of all this.
                        But it's too late, since many nations are still developing industrially and populations are increasing exponentially.

If we were all at the same stage of industry, technology and science, we might have a chance, but it will be perhaps a century or more before the Third World even begins to catch up.

Russia, technologically on a rough par with us, remains to this day one of the worst polluters and ravagers of the earth than any other nation.

Meanwhile, my question remains unanswered: what might we expect from the newly reorganized EPA?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          But it's too late, since many nations are still developing industrially and populations are increasing exponentially.

If we were all at the same stage of industry, technology and science, we might have a chance, but it will be perhaps a century or more before the Third World even begins to catch up.

Russia, technologically on a rough par with us, remains to this day one of the worst polluters and ravagers of the earth than any other nation.

Meanwhile, my question remains unanswered: what might we expect from the newly reorganized EPA?
                          Bold mine...

But all such nations agree to limit emissions and science and technology can also develop exponentially, including the science and technology of clean energy...
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If it really is too late then I guess that's too bad.
                            As for the question, I've got no idea but my expectations are not high.

Comment

If it really is too late then I guess that's too bad.
                              As for the question, I've got no idea but my expectations are not high.
                              Mine either. Different name on the boss's door - same business. That's why I think it's too late - the EPA is too deeply entrenched to be truly "overhauled".

Comment

The problem is that you have states like China, who are creating massive pollution deserts. And the fact that you have the First World telling emerging nations that they can't have air conditioning, cars, and other First World toys because the planet can't take it.
                                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Working...
                                X