• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and here is the law

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/241

d) Protection of privacy of individuals who are research subjects
    (1)
    (A) If a person is engaged in biomedical, behavioral, clinical, or other research, in which identifiable, sensitive information is collected (including research on mental health and research on the use and effect of alcohol and other psychoactive drugs), the Secretary, in coordination with other agencies, as applicable—
    (i) shall issue to such person a certificate of confidentiality to protect the privacy of individuals who are the subjects of such research if the research is funded wholly or in part by the Federal Government;
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      Pamak you are making it personal with guys you disagree with. This is not allowed. Find another way, maybe baffle them with brilliance?

Pruitt
      WIH?????????????
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

and here is an example of personal information used in a study of ozone effects ( and funded by the EPA ) which cannot be revealed. On the other hand, the methods of the study are publicly available...

Bold mine

http://journal.chestnet.org/article/...463-X/fulltext

Ozone Exposure and Lung Function

Materials and Methods
        Study Population
        Subjects in this study were part of the Veterans Administration Normative Aging Study,26 a longitudinal study established in 1963, details of which have been published previously. Briefly, the study enrolled 2,280 men from the Greater Boston area, ages 21 to 80 years, who were determined to be free of known chronic medical conditions by an initial health screening. Participants visited the study center repeatedly to undergo physical examinations, including pulmonary function testing, and fill out questionnaires approximately every 3 years. We included the subset of 904 subjects whose lung function was measured between January 1995 and June 2005 and whose AHR was measured during the same visit or at a prior visit. This study was approved by the Institutional Review Boards of all participating institutions, and informed consent was obtained from all subjects
        and notice the end

This work was supported by the US Environmental Protection Agency grants R827353 and R832416 and by National Institute of Environmental Health Services grants ES015172-01 and ES0002. The VA Normative Aging Study is supported by the Cooperative Studies Program/Epidemiology Research and Information Center of the US Department of Veterans Affairs and is a component of the Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center, Boston, MA.

The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
        So, should somebody dismiss this study based on the fact that the identities of the persons cannot be revealed?
        Last edited by pamak; 31 Mar 18, 04:37.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Well, it'll probably be delivered before the Tesla you put on order is...
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            Pamak you are making it personal with guys you disagree with. This is not allowed. Find another way, maybe baffle them with brilliance?
            Yeah, that'd be a neat idea.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
              You "dazzle them with brilliance", but only if you fail to "baffle them with BS".
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                Yeah, that'd be a neat idea.
                I'd pay to see that.

I would give odds against it ever happening, too.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I would give odds against most of the recent posters recognizing brilliance even if it hits them like a ton of bricks. When they cannot even recognize common sense anything more than that is pure waste. But it is still entertaining ...

Comment

Common sense is not so common. Even among our esteemed posters. This s just an internet forum. We don't get extra pay for being right.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Seeing as how we get endless every time someone thinks we're the tiniest bit wrong, maybe we should.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Seeing as how we get endless every time someone thinks we're the tiniest bit wrong, maybe we should.
                        I tend to evaluate things differently. For example, my BS meter goes on red when I see posters who have a habit of participating in discussions without providing links and choose instead to express their opinion through memes, silly photos and one-line snarky comments.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                          I would give odds against most of the recent posters recognizing brilliance even if it hits them like a ton of bricks. When they cannot even recognize common sense anything more than that is pure waste. But it is still entertaining ...
                          I think it is a little too late for that sort of admission.

Most people here are very much aware that you hate us and only post here to annoy people.

Is it any wonder that your posts get so little attention, that being the case?
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            I think it is a little too late for that sort of admission.

Most people here are very much aware that you hate us and only post here to annoy people.

Is it any wonder that your posts get so little attention, that being the case?
                            In general people who want to annoy others post one-line snarky comments and silly memes. The fact that I consistently write long posts using primary sources and links shows that I am more interested in a serious discussion than anything else. Of course, when this effort is countered by long flaky "ignore lists" by people who habitually put on ignore 90% of the dissenters here (in other words from people who avoid debates because they are more interested in trolling ) or by silly memes, I will play their game equally well...Now ask a few posters here when was the last time they felt the need to counter an argument of the opposition by doing a research and by providing here a link with information that supported their counterargument...
                            Last edited by pamak; 31 Mar 18, 19:35.

Comment

In general people who want to annoy others post one-line snarky comments and silly memes.
                              It can also be taken as a gesture of exasperation.
                              Boring and repetitive is not made less so by links to boring and repetitive sites.

The fact that I consistently write long posts using primary sources and links shows that I am more interested in a serious discussion than anything else. Of course, when this effort is countered by long flaky "ignore lists" by people who habitually put on ignore 90% of the dissenters here (in other words from people who avoid debates because they are more interested in trolling ) or by silly memes, I will play their game equally well...Now ask a few posters here when was the last time they felt the need to counter an argument of the opposition by doing a research and by providing here a link with information that supported their counterargument...
                              Actually, the assertion that your posts are always long and sourced can easily be checked.
                              As can the general attitude expressed, which appears to be very downward where you are concerned. In all earnest; when I think of a poster that is consistently contemptuous of the people he is arguing with, you are at the top of the list... and I don't even think you are 100% aware that you are doing it.
                              But.... I have been wrong before.

I only have ONE name on my ignore list, and it ain't yours.

Yeah, I know, it is very frustrating when you make the effort, get the research done, and you don't even get an answer back.
                              It happened to me dozens of times over the years.
                              Then I got wise, and stopped trying so damned hard, and just had fun with it. I don't care if the opposition answers it or not anymore, I KNOW they saw it, and if they have no answer I assume "victory" for whatever pittance that is worth.

This isn't Congress and you ain't Speaker of the House, so why the hell are you trying so damn hard, anyway?
                              Relax, and have some fun.

BTW- I looked back and found a thread you and I went back & forth on about ten years ago, about Tanks in the ed Army. Good stuff.
                              Whatever happened to that guy?
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                                It can also be taken as a gesture of exasperation.
                                Boring and repetitive is not made less so by links to boring and repetitive sites.

Actually, the assertion that your posts are always long and sourced can easily be checked.
                                As can the general attitude expressed, which appears to be very downward where you are concerned. In all earnest; when I think of a poster that is consistently contemptuous of the people he is arguing with, you are at the top of the list... and I don't even think you are 100% aware that you are doing it.
                                But.... I have been wrong before.

I only have ONE name on my ignore list, and it ain't yours.

Yeah, I know, it is very frustrating when you make the effort, get the research done, and you don't even get an answer back.
                                It happened to me dozens of times over the years.
                                Then I got wise, and stopped trying so damned hard, and just had fun with it. I don't care if the opposition answers it or not anymore, I KNOW they saw it, and if they have no answer I assume "victory" for whatever pittance that is worth.

This isn't Congress and you ain't Speaker of the House, so why the hell are you trying so damn hard, anyway?
                                Relax, and have some fun.

BTW- I looked back and found a thread you and I went back & forth on about ten years ago, about Tanks in the ed Army. Good stuff.
                                Whatever happened to that guy?
                                Links to boring and receptive sites?

Just in this thread I posted links that I never posted before. If you find them boring, this has more to do with the fact that you are not interested in a serious conversation than the fact that I repeat posting the same links

And you have put me on the ignore list numerous times. It is just that you keep switching me on and off..
                                As for my frustration, I have zero frustration when people do not answer back. The frustration builds on when people try to answer my posts with silly memes and snarky comments.
                                Or when I see people using their ignore list not because they want to avoid dealing with me or other people but because they want to have a parapet of safety behind which they regularly snipe the people who are supposedly on the ignore list. Rimmer is a classic example of this. He has almost everybody on the "left" on his ignore list and then instead of really ignoring the people on his list, he feels for some reason the need to publicly call these people "trolls" whenever some of his buddies have a conversation with some "leftist". The phrase "ignore the troll" which I saw twice last week just from Rimmer alone when I was browsing the different threads is a clear example of baiting behind the security of his ignore list. Others do the same thing too. Does this mean that repeatedly calling people "trolls" is less offensive than calling them once "liars" or snowflakes?

And yes, I know this is not Congress. It is a forum which started as one in which people were willing to have extensive discussions about historical events, and I expect a similar attitude when we discuss political ones. It is not unreasonable expectation to think that this forum is not twitter! But still, I have no problem with people who do not want to participate in such discussions as long as they let me have the conversations I have with the people who are willing to debate me without trying to intervene with silly comments and provocations which have zero value in the conversation that is going on. They moment these people try to play their silly games, I have no problem to return them the favor.
                                Last edited by pamak; 31 Mar 18, 21:06.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X