2020 Census to have Citzenship Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pamak View Post
    I also do not see any problem with including such question in the Census as long as it is not an issue of self-incrimination as you pointed out. And yes, I am a permanent non-citizen resident.
    HOWEVER, I DO have some reservations if an administration plans to use such Census results to determine different types of federal funds appropriated to the States by trying to estimate the number of illegal residents.
    I can accept federal funds being distributed by the say "A list" of "persons present", so long as representation is defined to "persons who are or shall be eligible to vote (aka Citizens)". I don't think a sanctuary state should receive congressional representation for its activities disproportionate to one which is following the law.

As far as federal funds go, my thoughts are to restrain cuts to those cities and states who "Knowingly and Willfully" engage or encourage criminal activity in violation of the law. And Criminal Aliens need to be addressed, but I agree that the Census is not the correct methodology for doing same.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      I can accept federal funds being distributed by the say "A list" of "persons present", so long as representation is defined to "persons who are or shall be eligible to vote (aka Citizens)". I don't think a sanctuary state should receive congressional representation for its activities disproportionate to one which is following the law.

As far as federal funds go, my thoughts are to restrain cuts to those cities and states who "Knowingly and Willfully" engage or encourage criminal activity in violation of the law. And Criminal Aliens need to be addressed, but I agree that the Census is not the correct methodology for doing same.

Bold mine
      If I recall well, there is a SCOTUS decision which actually rejected this argument of excluding illegal residents for calculating received fed funds because even illegal residents have certain rights which generate additional expenses, such as, sending their kids to public schools or getting emergency healthcare. Are you aware of this SCOTUS decision? I do not have it available right now, but I can search for it if nobody can provide more details

Edited the original post because I bolded the wrong section
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Here is one case I found related to the rights that illegal aliens have in the US

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../202/case.html

U.S. Supreme Court

Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982)

Plyler v. Doe

No. 80-1538

Argued December 1, 1981

Decided June 15, 1982*

457 U.S. 202

APPEAL FROM THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR

THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

Syllabus

Held: A Texas statute which withholds from local school districts any state funds for the education of children who were not "legally admitted" into the United States, and which authorizes local school districts to deny enrollment to such children, violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
        Bold mine

Obviously, rights held by illegal aliens create additional financial needs for the states. Moreover, even if there are states which encourage illegal immigration, it does not change the fact that the illegal immigrants still have certain rights which must be protected. Withholding funds to punish "misbehaved states" cannot happen by violating the protection of illegal aliens' recognized rights.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

It seems that ruling would apply to funding for emergency rooms and schools. OTOH, it seems that other funding, such as energy assistance, housing, so on and so forth would not necessarily fall within the scope of that ruling. It would appear that a more concise policy must needs be written, and eventually a more specific ruling issued by SCOTUS with reference to such things. After all, there should not be a reward for knowingly and willfully encouraging criminal activity to occur.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I made very clear that it is not that people are colonists just because they "merely" came here. I also came her... It is the belief that these savage indigenous people were not worthy of sovereignty and would be better off under the Christian Europeans that makes a newcomer a colonist...

So they don't really have to be a "colonist" for you to consider them a "colonist".

Please identify that culture that did not assume it was superior to all other cultures.
            The Indian tribes looked down on the whites by the way. They would have happily dominated (or destroyed) the white settlers if they could have. They tried repeatedly. That makes them just like all other humans.

It may interest you to know that the indian tribes also treated each other as not being worthy of their own sovereignty.
            The Iroquois didn't dominate the other indian tribes because they were compassionate and loving, they dominated the surrounding tribes by being brutal and strong.

I doubt that there is a single nation in existence that didn't have its borders determined by war and conquest.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
              So they don't really have to be a "colonist" for you to consider them a "colonist".

Please identify that culture that did not assume it was superior to all other cultures.
              The Indian tribes looked down on the whites by the way. They would have happily dominated (or destroyed) the white settlers if they could have. They tried repeatedly. That makes them just like all other humans.

It may interest you to know that the indian tribes also treated each other as not being worthy of their own sovereignty.
              The Iroquois didn't dominate the other indian tribes because they were compassionate and loving, they dominated the surrounding tribes by being brutal and strong.

I doubt that there is a single nation in existence that didn't have its borders determined by war and conquest.
              I used to the word colonizers as a simple reference to anyone who wasn't a native american. The point being that all the history about native americans was written by the victors...those who destroyed or whose arrival led to the destruction of all that was native American.

Not that I disagree with you. It was just an interjection in the discussion.

However, I don't think this is comparable to the current situation. USA is drawing immigrants because it is the stronger culture, not because other stronger cultures sense a weakness to exploited and resources to be had.

I mean it's not like the settlers joined the Indian tribes, they simply displaced them.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Here is one case I found related to the rights that illegal aliens have in the US

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../202/case.html

Bold mine

Obviously, rights held by illegal aliens create additional financial needs for the states. Moreover, even if there are states which encourage illegal immigration, it does not change the fact that the illegal immigrants still have certain rights which must be protected. Withholding funds to punish "misbehaved states" cannot happen by violating the protection of illegal aliens' recognized rights.
                BFD... School districts still turn away lots of illegals for a whole raft of reasons, getting around that decision. The impose all sorts of barriers to discourage illegals from applying, or make it difficult to impossible for them to apply and get accepted.
                Age, residency, previous school records, medical or health issues, mental health issues, all can be used to deny an applicant.

http://neatoday.org/2016/04/22/undoc...ublic-schools/

For instance, in Arizona the Ajo school District in Southern Arizona had a huge issue with not so much illegal immigrants as Mexican nationals putting their kids in the schools. What the Mexican parents were doing was registering their kids and then legally crossing the border and having the kids bused to the schools in Ajo.

So, the school district clamped down on this by requiring proof of residency in the school district. No proof, no attendance.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/6...to-board-buses

So, illegals are denied public school access for all intents despite Plyler.

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                  I used to the word colonizers as a simple reference to anyone who wasn't a native american. The point being that all the history about native americans was written by the victors...those who destroyed or whose arrival led to the destruction of all that was native American.

However, I don't think this is comparable to the current situation. USA is drawing immigrants because it is the stronger culture, not because other stronger cultures sense a weakness to exploited and resources to be had.

I mean it's not like the settlers joined the Indian tribes, they simply displaced them.

I think you make a reasonable point. The Europeans were not supportive of indian culture or rights.
                  You are right about the victors writing history in this instance because the indians pretty much didn't keep such records.

I used LaSalle and MarQuette though because their purpose was different than the colonists so their perspective would have been different.
                  My overall point has been that the native americans were no different than the invading europeans. The Europeans were just more successful in taking the land. For a variety of reasons not worth discussing here.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

And, that would have happened even if the Europeans were "fair" to the various tribes. Over time, the Europeans would have been able to 'buy out" the Indians simply on the basis of greater wealth and productivity. They would have subsumed them. At least the more established tribes. The hunter-gatherer type tribes were simply doomed. They had no established claim to a territory and were nomads. Their reliance on things like Buffalo would have been destroyed simply through competition for the animal, as happened historically (eg., the Europeans would shoot the animals in huge numbers for skins or whatever leaving none for the Indians). Add in that as land got settled (by whomever) and fenced a nomadic lifestyle was doomed. Barbed wire doomed the Plains Indians.

Even if the Europeans were some sort of immigrants that came and were buying the land fairly from the Indians and settling with their permission, the Indians were doomed. Europeans vastly outnumbered them. Once they are established they simply purchase more land and then sell it to new European immigrants. One population displaces another. So? That's celebrated today when it's so-called "minorities" doing this to "Whites."

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      BFD... School districts still turn away lots of illegals for a whole raft of reasons, getting around that decision. The impose all sorts of barriers to discourage illegals from applying, or make it difficult to impossible for them to apply and get accepted.
                      Age, residency, previous school records, medical or health issues, mental health issues, all can be used to deny an applicant.

http://neatoday.org/2016/04/22/undoc...ublic-schools/

For instance, in Arizona the Ajo school District in Southern Arizona had a huge issue with not so much illegal immigrants as Mexican nationals putting their kids in the schools. What the Mexican parents were doing was registering their kids and then legally crossing the border and having the kids bused to the schools in Ajo.

So, the school district clamped down on this by requiring proof of residency in the school district. No proof, no attendance.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/6...to-board-buses

So, illegals are denied public school access for all intents despite Plyler.
                      I'm not sure how many Americans agree with the so-called "rights of illegals", nor am I clear on how those alleged "rights" were determined to exist in the first place.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I'm not sure how many Americans agree with the so-called "rights of illegals", nor am I clear on how those alleged "rights" were determined to exist in the first place.
                        I think if most Americans were given a true and reasonably accurate picture of illegal immigration they'd clamor for an end to it to the extent possible. Right now, the bulk of the MSM plays off anecdote and fiction as to the state of illegal immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          It seems that ruling would apply to funding for emergency rooms and schools. OTOH, it seems that other funding, such as energy assistance, housing, so on and so forth would not necessarily fall within the scope of that ruling. It would appear that a more concise policy must needs be written, and eventually a more specific ruling issued by SCOTUS with reference to such things. After all, there should not be a reward for knowingly and willfully encouraging criminal activity to occur.
                          I agree that it is an open question regarding other types of funding. It will be a matter of how SCOTUS will apply the Equal Protection Clause. And I also agree that encouragement of illegal immigration should not be rewarded by the feds.
                          By the way, thanks for the short and to the point posts which do not try to score cheap political points. This is quite rare here...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            And, that would have happened even if the Europeans were "fair" to the various tribes. Over time, the Europeans would have been able to 'buy out" the Indians simply on the basis of greater wealth and productivity. They would have subsumed them. At least the more established tribes. The hunter-gatherer type tribes were simply doomed. They had no established claim to a territory and were nomads. Their reliance on things like Buffalo would have been destroyed simply through competition for the animal, as happened historically (eg., the Europeans would shoot the animals in huge numbers for skins or whatever leaving none for the Indians). Add in that as land got settled (by whomever) and fenced a nomadic lifestyle was doomed. Barbed wire doomed the Plains Indians.

Even if the Europeans were some sort of immigrants that came and were buying the land fairly from the Indians and settling with their permission, the Indians were doomed. Europeans vastly outnumbered them. Once they are established they simply purchase more land and then sell it to new European immigrants. One population displaces another. So? That's celebrated today when it's so-called "minorities" doing this to "Whites."
                            That's not what happened in Africa or Asia though.

I think the story is so different in North and South America because disease basically wiped out the established populations and power structures. With both population and power vacuum the story was over for the natives.

To ever have had a chance to resist the change they would have had needed several centuries to rebuild all that was lost. Those centuries instead saw...well, the build up of colonial powers.

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                            I think you make a reasonable point. The Europeans were not supportive of indian culture or rights.
                            You are right about the victors writing history in this instance because the indians pretty much didn't keep such records.

I used LaSalle and MarQuette though because their purpose was different than the colonists so their perspective would have been different.
                            My overall point has been that the native americans were no different than the invading europeans. The Europeans were just more successful in taking the land. For a variety of reasons not worth discussing here.
                            The mesoamerican cultures kept records, but those were mostly destroyed or just forgotten.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                              I saw that same poll and voted twice.
                              You can only vote once...unless you changed your IP or changed browsers/cookies.

Comment

That's not what happened in Africa or Asia though.

I think the story is so different in North and South America because disease basically wiped out the established populations and power structures. With both population and power vacuum the story was over for the natives.[/QUOTE]

Spanish colonization was radically different from British and French colonization in North America.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X