Armed Teachers in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Teachers in the US

There's a training program in Missouri for teachers that want to prevent and defend against School Shooters by being armed they take a course then have to update their skills each year.
    The recent mass shooting will probably have more schools using this tactic to prevent and fight back against school shootings.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/24/teache...souri-schools/

A growing number of school districts in Texas have cleared staff to be armed and will pay the fees for concealed handgun licenses.

Weapons are more commonly i fingerprint-activated lockboxes, I understand.

Which staff have access is not identified, but the fact of armed staff is.

It's a smart move, as active shooters are looking for body count, not a fight. They will target schools which remain undefended.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      A growing number of school districts in Texas have cleared staff to be armed and will pay the fees for concealed handgun licenses.

Weapons are more commonly i fingerprint-activated lockboxes, I understand.

Which staff have access is not identified, but the fact of armed staff is.

It's a smart move, as active shooters are looking for body count, not a fight. They will target schools which remain undefended.
      Yep make it clear that the school is armed and that'll change a lot of their minds on shooting one up.

Comment

Putting a gun on most of the school teachers I have worked with is not a good idea. It would give easy access to certain students. Why try to smuggle a gun in when you can get it from the older Female Teachers? Too many schools also have Females in Administration.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Some not identified staff I can agree with, but teachers, awful idea.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Personally, I do not have a problem with teachers having guns as long as they are trained, and, of course as long as it is voluntary I am okay with the idea that a teacher will have a safe box with his/her personal gun somewhere inside the classroom which he can retrieve in case of emergency. I certainly would not like the idea of open carry in classrooms.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              Putting a gun on most of the school teachers I have worked with is not a good idea. It would give easy access to certain students. Why try to smuggle a gun in when you can get it from the older Female Teachers? Too many schools also have Females in Administration.

Pruitt
              Staff, not specifically teachers. And only 10% or so. It is the deterrent factor.

Fingerprint-controlled lockboxes are also a good system, combining security with access.

Active shooters look for soft targets where they can do their business uninterrupted. If one school has some armed staff, and another has none, they will go for the undefended kids.

SROs are usually not a deterrent because the shooters know that they normally have multiple campuses to cover and they are easily tracked by their marked units.

Firearms are the only defense. You can't lock the nutjobs out, and nothing else wil deter them.

Now, if every school had some armed staff the equation will change again, but so long as society herds together children and leaves them unguarded, those will be the target of choice.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                As long as it is volunteers who get psychological checked out for the job like they are doing in Missouri and the weapons are kept locked from anyone else but them it can work out well especially as a deterrent.
                Teachers have served in military combat throughout history I wouldn't underestimate their capabilities to take on gunmen even if they haven't been in the military or law enforcement by those who volunteer for the job.

Comment

Hmmm? What black teacher will want to be armed when the police shows up at his school during a shootout?

Listening to the debate and I am not convinced that arming teachers is the solution yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    Staff, not specifically teachers. And only 10% or so. It is the deterrent factor.

Fingerprint-controlled lockboxes are also a good system, combining security with access.

Active shooters look for soft targets where they can do their business uninterrupted. If one school has some armed staff, and another has none, they will go for the undefended kids.

SROs are usually not a deterrent because the shooters know that they normally have multiple campuses to cover and they are easily tracked by their marked units.

Firearms are the only defense. You can't lock the nutjobs out, and nothing else wil deter them.

Now, if every school had some armed staff the equation will change again, but so long as society herds together children and leaves them unguarded, those will be the target of choice.
                    For straight defense, you could issue a good pepper spray device with a range of say 20 or so feet. A shooter entering a classroom would be vulnerable to such a system. The compressed air / CO2 paintball gun with pepper balls would also be viable defensively given the short ranges of engagement.
                    While not optimal, these might be more palatable to many educators and are definitely better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      For straight defense, you could issue a good pepper spray device with a range of say 20 or so feet. A shooter entering a classroom would be vulnerable to such a system. The compressed air / CO2 paintball gun with pepper balls would also be viable defensively given the short ranges of engagement.
                      While not optimal, these might be more palatable to many educators and are definitely better than nothing.
                      Not a bad idea. As you say, it is better than nothing.

We also recommend security doors for classrooms. Sandy Hook, the teacher and children literally had no where to go and no way to keep him out.

In Virginia Tech one classroom was kept safe because the students created a human chain, lying down, that braced the door shut.

A multi-layered defense is the best approach.

Comment

Rush Limbaugh discussed a good plan on his show this week. You station a police officer or two at each of the schools in an office there, and you rotate the officers on a regular basis. It's done in minnesota and the cops are uniformed with their firearms showing. So far no shooters in those schools.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...es-in-schools/

"It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                          Rush Limbaugh discussed a good plan on his show this week. You station a police officer or two at each of the schools in an office there, and you rotate the officers on a regular basis. It's done in minnesota and the cops are uniformed with their firearms showing. So far no shooters in those schools.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...es-in-schools/

Ya go to said office, blow the LEO away and now you have a second gun. Good plan.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Ya go to said office, blow the LEO away and now you have a second gun. Good plan.
                            It's better than anything the left has come up with. You could just have two guards on different parts of campus.
                            "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              Hmmm? What black teacher will want to be armed when the police shows up at his school during a shootout?

Listening to the debate and I am not convinced that arming teachers is the solution yet.
                              I saw that one too.

She was like a daughter when she was growing up and this past year was selected as teacher of the year for the city of Enterprise AL. She is a gun owner.

Her comment from an other site.

In all of the tragedies we never hear that a teacher ran from his or her duty to protect our kids. Something has to be done. I don’t believe that banning guns is the answer, but anyone who is heck bent against stricter gun control that involves more extensive checks and longer wait times is part of the problem. And those who feel the need to encourage lax gun control because we may need to fight the government, y’all know you have a secret stash of untraceable guns already. Why do you need more?
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X