Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Baby Boom Generation (50s-60s-70s) and School Shootings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    Life sentence over death means that tax-payers are now having to fork over money to keep the prisoner alive, right? If he's dead, no more money needed, right?
    Places like MS Angola Prison are close to self supporting. Why is every thing about money?

    IMO death is the easy way out when compared to 40 to 60 years in jail. Not a comfortable Jail a bare and stark jail an island, a remote island like the French Devils Island, with some refinements

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Island
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • John, Angola Prison is in Louisiana. It is up the Mississippi River BEFORE you get to Mississippi. Think West Feliciana Parish, north of Baton Rouge. There is only one road in and the boundaries are pretty much Swamp. I don't even think it is protected by levees, but I can be wrong on this.

      Yes, the prison grows most of its own food. I think just about all Louisiana prisons have a farm attached. I remember going to visit Phelps Correctional Institute, North of DeQuincy, as a boy when I was in Junior Deputies. We ate Lunch there and were told all the food we ate was grown there. The milk was a bit rich, compared to the pasteurized stuff we drank at home.

      I played Football with a guy that joined the Sheriff's Office and was put on the farm to work with the "guests". He got tired of throwing hay bales and moved to Texas.

      Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

      Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

      by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        John, Angola Prison is in Louisiana. It is up the Mississippi River BEFORE you get to Mississippi. Think West Feliciana Parish, north of Baton Rouge. There is only one road in and the boundaries are pretty much Swamp. I don't even think it is protected by levees, but I can be wrong on this.

        Yes, the prison grows most of its own food. I think just about all Louisiana prisons have a farm attached. I remember going to visit Phelps Correctional Institute, North of DeQuincy, as a boy when I was in Junior Deputies. We ate Lunch there and were told all the food we ate was grown there. The milk was a bit rich, compared to the pasteurized stuff we drank at home.

        I played Football with a guy that joined the Sheriff's Office and was put on the farm to work with the "guests". He got tired of throwing hay bales and moved to Texas.

        Pruitt
        Your correct on the MS/LA locations, my mistake.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • Unlike some dems and GOP I have seen the inner cities. We have black and white politicians who talk a good game but they are no FDR. I know whats its like as I have worked for 2 years in a part of the USA that looks more like war torn Iraq when compared to what used to be the good ole US of A.

          I talked today with a 60 year old African American lady who said her neighborhood is infested with Puerto Rican and African American thugs who for example trade ebt for crack, harass women, use weapons instead of fists to settle fights. This African American lady noted that Bailey Avenue was better in the 1970s and music was better back in the day. She said the Italians used to run Buffalo, that was when Buffalo and other cities in the USA were safe, now its a disgrace what has happened to this country. Its a shame the US gov and police forces are not getting the job done in our country. Individual politicians and policemen care, but not enough is being done to make the country the good place it once was. That being said we can hope for the future, where there is a will there is a way.
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

          George S Patton

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            I know exactly of Till and the criminal KKK. I disagree with your approach though. The 1940s-1970s saw bigotry worldwide including in North America and in Ethiopia and other parts of Africa. During the 1940s-1970s, the USA was arguably the most humane country on Earth...even with the segregation. One can go to 1940s Ethiopia and see legalized slavery.
            What they did in Ethiopia in the post-WW2 period has absolutely no bearing on this conversation whatsoever. What does is the fact that millions of African-Americans were effectively shut out of all kinds of educational and employment opportunities, and that in several states, their exclusion was mandated by law. Add to that the fact that it was de facto, if not de jure, legal to murder a Negro, and it all adds up to a significant share of the US population did not get to enjoy some kind of non-violent "era of good feeling." Their children were abused. Their men were lynched. Their churches were bombed. Those were facts in far too many places during this "golden age" of post WW2 US.

            And therein lies the point. OttoHarkman asked in an earlier thread if the violence we're seeing today has in fact always existed, only expressed differently, to whit I responded decidedly in the affirmative. This notion of a totally benign and altruistic history is nothing more than fantasy, a rose-tinted version of a past that never actually existed in reality.

            Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            The biggest issue in 2018 USA is jobs...If people dont have a home or something to own or a good family in this country, the chances of them turning to crime goes up. Going back to the 1940s though, the divorce rate was much lower compared to today. The middle class blacks and middle class whites were far stronger and more dignified in the 1940s probably compared to any other time in US history.
            You, from Upstate New York, should know better. You should know how corrupt politicians, ruinous taxes, and shady unions, all conspired to drive business out of New York. The great desert that extends from Buffalo to Troy wasn't some kind of accident, nor was it the work of evil capitalists: it was the result of one idiotic policy piled atop another, year after year, starting in Albany and your local city hall, until every productive business imaginable felt no other choice but to flee. If I'm wrong, then perhaps you can explain why the City of Schenectady -- a place that over the last twenty-five years has come to resemble Mogadishu -- still assess nearly $19,000/yr on a 60'x60' lot containing an abandoned 2,300 sq ft single-family house. How can a town that's lost something like 50% of its population over the last five decades, a city that's down to a single high school, still ring up those kinds of taxes? Where do they get that kind of audacity? And why is it the same story in Utica, in Syracuse, in Rome, in Plattsburgh, in Rotterdam, in Cobleskill, in Fonda, in Rensselaer? How have you happened to miss that action -- since the 1970s?

            By the way, any of you fellows from Ohio and Pennsylvania, feel free to chime in, 'cause I know that your Rust Belt spiraled down the toilet too.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

            Comment


            • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              What they did in Ethiopia in the post-WW2 period has absolutely no bearing on this conversation whatsoever. What does is the fact that millions of African-Americans were effectively shut out of all kinds of educational and employment opportunities, and that in several states, their exclusion was mandated by law. Add to that the fact that it was de facto, if not de jure, legal to murder a Negro, and it all adds up to a significant share of the US population did not get to enjoy some kind of non-violent "era of good feeling." Their children were abused. Their men were lynched. Their churches were bombed. Those were facts in far too many places during this "golden age" of post WW2 US.

              And therein lies the point. OttoHarkman asked in an earlier thread if the violence we're seeing today has in fact always existed, only expressed differently, to whit I responded decidedly in the affirmative. This notion of a totally benign and altruistic history is nothing more than fantasy, a rose-tinted version of a past that never actually existed in reality.



              You, from Upstate New York, should know better. You should know how corrupt politicians, ruinous taxes, and shady unions, all conspired to drive business out of New York. The great desert that extends from Buffalo to Troy wasn't some kind of accident, nor was it the work of evil capitalists: it was the result of one idiotic policy piled atop another, year after year, starting in Albany and your local city hall, until every productive business imaginable felt no other choice but to flee. If I'm wrong, then perhaps you can explain why the City of Schenectady -- a place that over the last twenty-five years has come to resemble Mogadishu -- still assess nearly $19,000/yr on a 60'x60' lot containing an abandoned 2,300 sq ft single-family house. How can a town that's lost something like 50% of its population over the last five decades, a city that's down to a single high school, still ring up those kinds of taxes? Where do they get that kind of audacity? And why is it the same story in Utica, in Syracuse, in Rome, in Plattsburgh, in Rotterdam, in Cobleskill, in Fonda, in Rensselaer? How have you happened to miss that action -- since the 1970s?

              By the way, any of you fellows from Ohio and Pennsylvania, feel free to chime in, 'cause I know that your Rust Belt spiraled down the toilet too.

              The USA of the 1940s has to be compared to other countries in the world. Arguably the USA was the most humane country in the world in the 1940s. The very fact is the divorce rate among blacks and whites was far lower in the 1940s compared to today, even with the segregation many blacks had dignity and a high paying job in the 1940s.

              Unlike fake phony dems and gop folk in Buffalo, I see the inner cities, I talk with older African Americans who tell me the old days were better then what the dump of a country is today

              Unions are great, anti Americans oppose unions. Yes like in any group or business some union people are bad, but Unions are needed to fight back agaisnt Conservative greedy politicians who are trying to destroy our country.

              Buffalo and other major cities used to be boomtowns, now usury anti American credit card collection companies lead the way in Buffalo. Buffalo used to have 50,000 good factory jobs, all middle class Buffalonians support what Im saying. Maybe get off your ass and look up some real history good friend.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

              George S Patton

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                TUnions are great, anti Americans oppose unions. Yes like in any group or business some union people are bad, but Unions are needed to fight back agaisnt Conservative greedy politicians who are trying to destroy our country.
                They had a union where I last worked. I refused to join. The local president wouldn't answer my questions on Beck v. Communications Workers of America or what the $40 a payday was supposed to be buying me.
                Being in a Right to Work state, I didn't have to pay the onerous alternative dues either.

                Over the years I confronted some of the higher ups when they came to visit and recruit. It got where none of the union people would talk to me about anything to do with the union or joining. They knew better.

                As I told people, at $40 a payday it was worthless. Better I stick that money in the bank or invest it. If something did come up with management and I was called on the carpet, I'd rather hire a pack of sharks in three-piece suits and go to court over it if they were in the wrong. I'd have a far greater chance of success than with the union rep or whatever. Most of the management knew it too.

                Of course it didn't help that one union local president stole like $28,000 in money for her own use and didn't even get prosecuted for it. She was allowed to retire instead. The next guy used the position to get vacations to national union meetings in Las Vegas, Hawaii, etc... Yea, my union dues at waste. Like hell I was going to pay those crooks a wooden nickel to do nothing for me.

                I'm not anti-American. I am anti-union for the most part. There are times and places where one will work, but in today's America, 95% of the time unions are worthless.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  They had a union where I last worked. I refused to join. The local president wouldn't answer my questions on Beck v. Communications Workers of America or what the $40 a payday was supposed to be buying me.
                  Being in a Right to Work state, I didn't have to pay the onerous alternative dues either.

                  Over the years I confronted some of the higher ups when they came to visit and recruit. It got where none of the union people would talk to me about anything to do with the union or joining. They knew better.

                  As I told people, at $40 a payday it was worthless. Better I stick that money in the bank or invest it. If something did come up with management and I was called on the carpet, I'd rather hire a pack of sharks in three-piece suits and go to court over it if they were in the wrong. I'd have a far greater chance of success than with the union rep or whatever. Most of the management knew it too.

                  Of course it didn't help that one union local president stole like $28,000 in money for her own use and didn't even get prosecuted for it. She was allowed to retire instead. The next guy used the position to get vacations to national union meetings in Las Vegas, Hawaii, etc... Yea, my union dues at waste. Like hell I was going to pay those crooks a wooden nickel to do nothing for me.

                  I'm not anti-American. I am anti-union for the most part. There are times and places where one will work, but in today's America, 95% of the time unions are worthless.
                  It sounds like you had a bad deal. I know union people whom pay pennies for their Union dues. You bring up that Union lady, she reminds of the many Credit card collection people in Buffalo, these people are a threat to our country, they care more about themselves then anyone around them...they are a minority but they must be dealt with otherwise we will turn into a more despotic country..where landlords control things and the middle class falls.

                  Also realize much of America is a disgrace today. The jobs of today are not the same as the jobs of the past. I agree Unions could do much better these days, back in the day the Unions provided our ancestors a life worth living. And older Americans I talk with like my friends dad who has almost 30 years at the local Ford plant is saying younger Americans need to make demands to their Unions. The major point is though unions are needed or else employers would walk all over employees, one needs to have one arguing for insurance, pensions and a good safe work environment.


                  As the great MLK Jr said, one needs to have a stake in society, in America today its tough for a young man to make it. Steel jobs need to come back. Note all the steel around you, the big garbage dumps are from republic steel here in Buffalo, and steel is spotted in street signs and all over the place. What the country needs to do is stop outsourcing work, and bring good jobs back to the homeland. There is certainly hope though, more and more Americans are waking up and meeting the challenges head on.
                  Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                  Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                  George S Patton

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    Al Gore's wife Tipper blamed Ozzy Osbourne. Her remedy was to place stickers on records.





                    While AR-15s were not available before the 1960s, Thompson sub-machine guns did exist. When they were first introduced to the market, they were quite expensive ($200 in 1920s money, or ~$2,800 today.) The 1934 Gun Control Act placed another $200 tax on the purchases of automatic weapons.

                    Come to think of it, motorized interstate bank robbery a la Bonnie & Clyde and John Dillinger, bootlegging, syndicated transnational organized crime, and kidnapping were unheard of before the 1920s and '30s, too. I'm guessing that the combination of new technologies and evolving social mores and popular trends converged to engender new classes of crime. Maybe we're seeing something similar today.
                    Apparently, they are starting to do that again. They are blaming violent movies and video games as a factor in school shootings.
                    Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

                    Comment


                    • Folks note the work being done here, yes the 1940s USA was a dignified country, 2018 USA is not a dignified country. We have leadership problems today. But in the 1940s the US was led by great people the greatest being FDR,

                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                      George S Patton

                      Comment


                      • This is what much of the country has become,




                        Folks used to make great money laying railroad track. Heres an idea, build new types of railroads, that will create good jobs.
                        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                        George S Patton

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          ----

                          I meant to respond to your earlier post,

                          Bailey Ave back in the day in the 1930s,



                          http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/11392

                          Testimony from another older American showing how times have changed and for the worse,

                          spiderman on December 30, 2008 at 8:47 pm

                          i lived across the street from the Bailey showin the early 60ís. saw the first beatle movie there and got my first kiss there. this building was one huge place . there were many bussinesís there . next door was Nickies restaurant. on the 2nd floor to the right was RED CROWN bowling lanes THEY HAD 12 LANES , AND WAS ALWAYS BUSY .. further down toward genesee st was AST cleaners . and on the corner of BAILEY & GENNESEE WAS THE LEADER DRUGSTORE. WE USE TO GO HERE AND BUY 6 CANDY BARS FOR A QUARTER . THEN HIT THE SHOW FOR A QUARTER ALSO .. FIFTY CENTS IN THE 60/S AND WE WE wERE SET FOR THE DAY. I ALSO USE TO CLIMB ON TO THE ROOF AND THROW SNOWBALLS AT UNSUSPECTING PASSERBYíS . (THEY COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHERE THEY WERE COMING FROM . AS WE GOT A LITTLE MORE OLDER WE WOULD DISTRACT CARL THE MANAGER , BY TOSSING ROCKS AT THE SIDE DOOR CREATING NOISE FOR THE THEATRE PATRONS . WHEN CARL WENT TO CHECK OUT THE SITUATION . WE WOULD SNEAK IN THE FRONT DOORS AND CATCH WHAT WE COULD OF THE MOVIE. I CAN ALSO REMEMBER SEEING A SIGN ON THE DOORS OF THE SHOW TELLING PEOPLE TO RESIST CABLE TV . WE DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT IT WAS BACK THEN!! . MAN !! HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED . . ANY HOW . I HAD A GREAT TIME GROWING UP IN THIS SHOW AND NEIGHBORHOOD . AND WILL ALWAYS CHERISH THESE MEMORIES


                          http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/11392

                          Bailey Ave today

                          Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 27 Feb 18, 22:47.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                          George S Patton

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                            Folks note the work being done here, yes the 1940s USA was a dignified country, 2018 USA is not a dignified country. We have leadership problems today. But in the 1940s the US was led by great people the greatest being FDR,

                            I will not even go to the social issues in the 1940s...

                            In the 1940s, US had "dignified" jobs simply because it was the only kid in the block. The infrastructure of every other competitor had received massive blows.
                            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              I'm not anti-American. I am anti-union for the most part. There are times and places where one will work, but in today's America, 95% of the time unions are worthless.
                              Absolutely.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                                It sounds like you had a bad deal. I know union people whom pay pennies for their Union dues. You bring up that Union lady, she reminds of the many Credit card collection people in Buffalo, these people are a threat to our country, they care more about themselves then anyone around them...they are a minority but they must be dealt with otherwise we will turn into a more despotic country..where landlords control things and the middle class falls.

                                Also realize much of America is a disgrace today. The jobs of today are not the same as the jobs of the past. I agree Unions could do much better these days, back in the day the Unions provided our ancestors a life worth living. And older Americans I talk with like my friends dad who has almost 30 years at the local Ford plant is saying younger Americans need to make demands to their Unions. The major point is though unions are needed or else employers would walk all over employees, one needs to have one arguing for insurance, pensions and a good safe work environment.


                                ...
                                I agree that unions play an important role in the negotiations. The argument that we should abolish an INSTITUTION based on cases of corruption is bogus. If there is corruption, you change the leadership. Notice that the critics of unions never try to argue that we should abolish big corporations because of corruption in the boards of directors.
                                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X