Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
    --------------
    Beating isn't the point, its discipline that is the point. Discipline teaches respect if not fear of consequences of unacceptable behavior. That is the problem with todays society is there is no parenting and the schools are too petrified of law suits to discipline a child. It aint perfect but its better than anything else I've seen lately.
    Nostalgia is fun when you are sitting around whining with similarly aged friends about how much better things used to be. Injected into a serious analysis of pretty much anything (except maybe music ) it is toxic.

I think we can generally agree that Baby Boomers were brought up with 'discipline' of various sorts. Parents disciplined their children and schools disciplined their students. A clear understanding of action & consequence. Presumably this should have produced a less criminal generation than the 'coddled' children of subsequent generations.

Yet it did not. Look at the murder rate in the US. It starts a steep rise about the time the first Boomers hit their late teens & stays there for almost 40 years - when the tail end of the Boomer cohort hit middle age. The poorly disciplined children & grandchildren of those Boomers aren't just a bit less murderous, they are a LOT less murderous.

Perhaps the supposed benefits of 'discipline' aren't as great as the nostalgia lovers would have us believe.
    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
      Nostalgia is fun when you are sitting around whining with similarly aged friends about how much better things used to be. Injected into a serious analysis of pretty much anything (except maybe music ) it is toxic.

I think we can generally agree that Baby Boomers were brought up with 'discipline' of various sorts. Parents disciplined their children and schools disciplined their students. A clear understanding of action & consequence. Presumably this should have produced a less criminal generation than the 'coddled' children of subsequent generations.

Yet it did not. Look at the murder rate in the US. It starts a steep rise about the time the first Boomers hit their late teens & stays there for almost 40 years - when the tail end of the Boomer cohort hit middle age. The poorly disciplined children & grandchildren of those Boomers aren't just a bit less murderous, they are a LOT less murderous.

Perhaps the supposed benefits of 'discipline' aren't as great as the nostalgia lovers would have us believe.
      Stick with nations you understand.

Previous generations weren't coddled. The change in murder rates (the later drop is purely cosmetic number games) ties in with the rise in the drug culture, where the bulk of our murders remain concentrated.That was fostered by the leftist repudiation of discipline, self-control, and personal responsibility.

Remove four counties from the US murder rate, and it drops incredibly far.

Discipline is everything. In my career I watched generations grow up and become clients of ours. Those kids from old-school households generally moved on to productive lives. The kids from lax and absentee parents hit seventeen and get shipped off to a life in and out of prison.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Stonewall, you've never heard of Emmitt Till? And this being Black History Month? Tsk tsk.
        I know exactly of Till and the criminal KKK. I disagree with your approach though. The 1940s-1970s saw bigotry worldwide including in North America and in Ethiopia and other parts of Africa. During the 1940s-1970s, the USA was arguably the most humane country on Earth...even with the segregation. One can go to 1940s Ethiopia and see legalized slavery.

The biggest issue in 2018 USA is jobs...If people dont have a home or something to own or a good family in this country, the chances of them turning to crime goes up. Going back to the 1940s though, the divorce rate was much lower compared to today. The middle class blacks and middle class whites were far stronger and more dignified in the 1940s probably compared to any other time in US history.
        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Look at Bailey avenue in Buffalo. Crime all over, blacks I know are afraid to walk the streets of Bailey avenue by themselves because of thugs. Bailey avenue a is now filled with white and black drug addicts, homeless, dilapidated houses, streets filled with potholes. Liquor stores ran by Arabs and Indians, torn down bowling and community centers in an area once that boomed with Motown type music and saw prosperous whites and blacks. That is just one of many many terrible areas in the USA. There is no doubt the 1940s was a better time for the American family when compared to today. The hope is the American spirit will prevail over the thugs in the government and on the streets.

Bailey Ave back in the day,

[/url]

Bailey ave today,

George S Patton

Comment

Reminds me of some places in North Lake Charles. I imagine a lot of older neighborhoods can look like this. When I was in High School Central Lake Charles was mostly White with older buildings. My future ex-wife lived in North Lake Charles and then Central LC. They moved to a mostly Black neighborhood in East LC, then they moved across the River to a Westlake suburb. Most of the White families moved away when their neighborhoods were chosen to integrate formerly Black High Schools. My ex's family sent their kids to Catholic schools so it didn't matter so much. Both my sisters in law quit school to get married like my ex.

Many of the old buildings are now gone in North Lake Charles.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
              Look at Bailey avenue in Buffalo. Crime all over, blacks I know are afraid to walk the streets of Bailey avenue by themselves because of thugs. Bailey avenue a is now filled with white and black drug addicts, homeless, dilapidated houses, streets filled with potholes. Liquor stores ran by Arabs and Indians, torn down bowling and community centers in an area once that boomed with Motown type music and saw prosperous whites and blacks. That is just one of many many terrible areas in the USA. There is no doubt the 1940s was a better time for the American family when compared to today. The hope is the American spirit will prevail over the thugs in the government and on the streets.

Bailey Ave back in the day,

[/url]

Bailey ave today,

One of your more intelligent photo comparisons. From the inside of a bar to a street scene. Yep can surly tell the difference there.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

No...the rational explanation is that as time passed, the laws got laxer and laxer and more fixated on the "rights" of the perpetrators. A complete study of society will show you major changes during the period in question, none of them for the better.

But I fully agree that all crimes will stop when we eliminate those nasty Baby Boomers and put us Old Farts in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  One of your more intelligent photo comparisons. From the inside of a bar to a street scene. Yep can surly tell the difference there.

If you cant see that the USA is not what it used to be, its not my problem its yours friend. Do a google search and compare 1940s Buffalo to the struggling city that is Buffalo today.

You think the inside of these homes are good?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bail...nnh8hcgtP9NVM:

They are not, they in in bad shape.

You cant see that the USA is in many places in shambles today, your in Germany where it seems the middle class is stronger. You grew up in a USA that offered a much better chance for the middle class, it was much easier for your generation. My generation is tasked with bringing back the American spirit.

George S Patton

Comment

Crimes an issue in the inner cities. If there were better jobs in the country today we would not be seeing this type of crime in run down neighborhoods. Well we would not have so many run down neighborhoods as we see in the east and west side of Buffalo, all over Detroit and Oakland and other major US cities.

George S Patton

Comment

WOW what a ___! Do you think Buffalo is the only city so affected? My home town is little different going from a population of 60,000 to less than 30,000. Still indoor outdoor comparison is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        WOW what a ___! Do you think Buffalo is the only city so affected? My home town is little different going from a population of 60,000 to less than 30,000. Still indoor outdoor comparison is laughable.
                        Give me a break John.
                        Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 25 Feb 18, 10:32.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Stick with nations you understand.

Previous generations weren't coddled. The change in murder rates (the later drop is purely cosmetic number games) ties in with the rise in the drug culture, where the bulk of our murders remain concentrated.That was fostered by the leftist repudiation of discipline, self-control, and personal responsibility.

Remove four counties from the US murder rate, and it drops incredibly far.

Discipline is everything. In my career I watched generations grow up and become clients of ours. Those kids from old-school households generally moved on to productive lives. The kids from lax and absentee parents hit seventeen and get shipped off to a life in and out of prison.
                          Remove those counties and we're probably less violent than all of Europe now that you mention it.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            Remove those counties and we're probably less violent than all of Europe now that you mention it.

What a strange notion. Do we Europeans likewise get to clean our statistics?

Which four counties are those btw?
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

This is not how neighborhoods in the USA are suppose to be,

Can anyone here imagine living in that type of setting^ like it is in many inner cities across the country..potholes all over the roads...houses(many have two families living in one home just imagine that) being so close to one and other. People roaming and yelling in the streets late in the night, homeless rummaging through trash, muggings occurring. In the 1940 this type of behavior did not occur. In 1940s the same inner city communities that are struggling today, were thriving.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                                You better chop FL off as well in you fantasy.

In the European Union, annual firearm homicides total

2011: 1,223
                                2000/12: 13,200

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/european-union

MO almost beats the whole EU

Missouri Mortality Data Deaths Rate** U.S. Deaths U.S. Rate***
                                Firearm Deaths 1,094 18.1 36,252 11.1

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...i/missouri.htm

Considering the seriousness of the subject I won't laugh at you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X