The Baby Boom Generation (50s-60s-70s) and School Shootings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Depends on how you define "drug." In the first decade of the 20th century drunkenness was so common that an alliance of East Coast progressives, Southern evangelicals, and sufferagettes came together to advance the cause of temperance. Carrie Nation spoke for thousands when she recounted how her husband regularly came home drunk and beat her senseless. With startling speed the XVIII Amendment was ratified, and the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcohol was Prohibited, that's how fed up the American people were with drunkenness.

Suffice to say, that level of alcohol consumption is no longer the norm. Might that count as an improvement?
    I would define the drug problem as the side effects caused by the behavioral controlling drugs nearly every one of these mass killers were on. And, I use killers given that Andrea Yates did not use a gun to kill her five young children. She drowned them in the bathtub one at a time.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

the 1940s-1970s saw a prosperous USA. During that time American culture was far better then it is today.

The negative effect of Social media and the rise of white thugs and black thugs have harmed the country. In the 1970s the USA saw great music and good middle class jobs. The country today is threatened by white and black thugs but the hope is the American spirit will prevail.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

So how on earth did they manage to kill Emmit Till in the pre Facebook era?
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So how on earth did they manage to kill Emmit Till in the pre Facebook era?
          What is this, what are you rambling on about? Roll your eyes at someone else.

The USA today is disgrace..there are black thugs and white thugs. In the 1940s-1970s the divorce rate was much lower, the middle class was stronger. Its not just our country, In the middle east Jewish and Muslim thugs are ruining things for people, what you wont call a spade a spade?
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            What is this, what are you rambling on about? Roll your eyes at someone else.

The USA today is disgrace..there are black thugs and white thugs. In the 1940s-1970s the divorce rate was much lower, the middle class was stronger. Its not just our country, In the middle east Jewish and Muslim thugs are ruining things for people, what you wont call a spade a spade?
            You cannot go back home again time to keep moving on.

Comment

Stonewall, you've never heard of Emmitt Till? And this being Black History Month? Tsk tsk.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Pretty much. I anticipate by my retirement we'll be making routine traffic stops with rifles or sub-guns.
                No doubt. I look back at my career and the changes I have seen are astounding.

I also wonder "Why the hell did I volunteer for that stuff?"
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

(Severe) lack of social cohesion combined with (extreme) individualism creates a favourable environment for lone wolves.

In our neighbourhood, when a kid grows up and shows signs of odd behaviour (stealing, bullying etc) teachers, parents, police and local social bureaus will notice and take action. There is a shared responsibilty.
                  It may not always suffice, but the means and willingness to do something about it are, to a limited extent, there.

In the larger cities, the means may still be available (or may actually already have been overburdened), but the willingness may be lacking; the people having been numbed by the umpteenth case of social problems.
                  So police may show up for the sixteenth time at an incident, but nothing is done about the root cause of the problem. The parent isn't able to deal with it, and there is no social environment around the kid that will catch up and correct behaviour or help the parent in correcting behaviour.

So what happens is that this kind of lone wolf behaviour is getting blamed on everything (institutions, governments etc) whereas the actual problem lies in the disappearance of social responsibility that is or used to be part of forming a functioning society.

Apart from that, whether you like it or not, the abundance of and ease with which guns can be obtained, does help in making it easier for lone wolves to execute what they are fantasizing about. The psychological threshold for a socially limited 18-year old for having to find a criminal network to obtain some serious gunware is, I think, enormous.
                  After all, how many school shootings have taken place in (western) Europe? And surely, in Europe there will be identical kids somewhere with the same base behaviour and thinking and fantasies. Yet, there are far fewer of these types of incidents.

Arming teachers? Go ahead.
                  I can imagine that with the teachers' non-existant experience in dealing with cases like these, deranged kids will simply consider that an extra challenge, easily overcome by adapting tactics.
                  "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Come to think of it, my generation never had school shootings. Guns aren't the problem - it's the homicidal baby-boomers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Come to think of it, my generation never had school shootings. Guns aren't the problem - it's the homicidal baby-boomers!
                      It's tough to get a high body count with a muzzle-loader...
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        After the school tower in Austin have we had any more Boomers do a killing?
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Stonewall, you've never heard of Emmitt Till? And this being Black History Month? Tsk tsk.
                          Not until I Googled the name. Got to love the advanced state down there.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            Ha!
                            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                              the 1940s-1970s saw a prosperous USA. During that time American culture was far better then it is today.

The negative effect of Social media and the rise of white thugs and black thugs have harmed the country. In the 1970s the USA saw great music and good middle class jobs. The country today is threatened by white and black thugs but the hope is the American spirit will prevail.
                              Sorry, but the 60's and the 70's were the period in which black power thugs like the Black Panthers rose to prominence, and so did white thugs like the Weathermen.

"American spirit" can't prevail because of the government and the special interest groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                                now that thar is just plain funny.............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X