Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bwaha
    replied
    You know that's not too bad from my pov, and I live in a rural location that has insane commuter traffic that literally destroys the road. From 1500 to 1800 the road is so packed with commuters zipping by so packed and so fast that getting out of the driveway is really difficult. We're talking about hundreds of cars per hour.

It used to be a quiet back road when only the locals knew about it...

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    This would disproportionately hit rural and low population states really hard. One on the best things about the US is that the population is mobile. Toll roads and high fuel prices would make mobility far more difficult.

As odd as it sounds, in Arizona people often commute 30 to 75 miles one way to work. That's the rough equivalent of driving from the northern suburbs of Chicago to the south side. A toll one way could amount to an hour's pay or more for many people. That might force them to live and play near where they work rather than have the flexibility to go where they'd like.

It would also raise the cost of goods as trucking would become more expensive, and I doubt current takes on commercial vehicles would go away to make the cost remain constant.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    I'm a big fan of toll roads... for the same reason I'm a big opponent of net neutrality.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    started a topic Pay by the Mile, Not by the Gallon

Pay by the Mile, Not by the Gallon

It's gaining some traction and those whom don't mind more guv'mint intrusions might think it's a splendid idea. Definitely worth talking about;
    To Save Our Infrastructure, Make Every Road a Toll Road
    https://www.wired.com/story/gas-tax-vmt-toll-road/

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X