Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay by the Mile, Not by the Gallon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Hand held nav devices were designed for pedestrians! We get a problem round where I live with truck drivers using car sat nav devices because they're cheaper and then getting routed down very narrow and unsuitable roads and sometimes getting stuck. On a trip to France some years ago my nav device packed up a few miles after leaving the tunnel and I couldn't find anywhere that sold maps until I got to Arras. I had to navigate from the names of WW1 battle areas and road signs and village names. I always carry maps now.

    The first sat nav device I used was in a hire car back in the 90s and it became totally confused in Washington DC
    Our Nuvee was designed for automotive use and we bought the UK navigation chip. It still took us up a very narrow road, up a very steep hill in Bath. When we got to the top of the hill, there was a trash truck blocking the road. So we had to back down the hill...

    Then there was the roundabout adventure it took us on at Heathrow...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

    Comment


    • #17
      For one thing, this would not be done by the toll booth method. Instead, all vehicles would be mandated to be equipped with a billing computer. It would perform like a Smart Meter on your house to charge for energy use. Not only would it track how many miles you are driving, it could be programmed to charge according to the time of the day and the route your are traveling. That way, they can charge you more as they do on the DC toll roads, up to $30 and more, during the weekday rush hour.
      https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/12/...s-66-climb-36/

      When that gets mandated, My vehicle will be mostly sitting idle in the driveway being used only when it is not possible to travel by bicycle with the trailer to do necessary shopping or other things nearby.


      After a can run. Plastic bottles are proposed to have a ten cent return added to them soon.

      “Breaking News,”

      “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

      Comment


      • #18
        This would also be devastating to most business as on line shopping will become commonplace while people stay home to shop.

        With drones being capable of delivery in many urban areas, the parcel delivery companies could bypass much of the road tax their fleet of delivery trucks would be charged.

        Even if they are charged, parcel delivery would be far more efficient tax wise then individuals going out to shop. I could see something like the neighborhood milk truck returning as one could have their grocery needs ordered ahead of time and delivered on a regular basis. (That would be similar to the pull ahead of time ordering at Sams Club or Costco.)

        Of course, the tax would be the quick demise of the Soccer Mon and so many other popular after school activities involving daily transportation of kids to events.
        “Breaking News,”

        “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
          With drones being capable of delivery in many urban areas, the parcel delivery companies could bypass much of the road tax their fleet of delivery trucks would be charged.
          Obviously, they will next tax airspace, and probably oxygen after that
          Wisdom is personal

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Include bicyclists in that tax farm. They use the roads as well...
            Agreed.......

            Actually, they should be forced to register and insure regardless of the OP.

            Equal rights on the road is a........two way street.

            Pay up, or get the hell out of the way.

            Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

            BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

            BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
              Agreed.......

              Actually, they should be forced to register and insure regardless of the OP.

              Equal rights on the road is a........two way street.

              Pay up, or get the hell out of the way.

              Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
              So, when do we start taxing the feet? After all, one has to use the sidewalks or the side of the road.
              “Breaking News,”

              “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                So, when do we start taxing the feet? After all, one has to use the sidewalks or the side of the road.
                Sorry Ron, but pedestrians don't share THE ROAD.

                And we dont drive on sidewalks.

                Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Lol. You think there are sidewalks everywhere? I see people walking on the ROAD everyday.
                  "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    First, we need a full accounting of where all of the road taxes and designated funds have actually been spent.

                    Colorado has recently declared a mini-crisis, revealing that virtually nothing has actually been spent on roads; however, they haven't been able to say why or where the appropriated monies actually went.

                    Next, there needs to be serious research on creating better lasting roads to begin with. Today's roads can't withstand the usage of the heavily laden trucks using them.

                    Throwing more money at the problem isn't the solution.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                      Sorry Ron, but pedestrians don't share THE ROAD.

                      And we dont drive on sidewalks.

                      Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                      Don't you ever walk? If you do, don't you use the sidewalk if available, or do you just walk through other people's property instead of along the side of the road?
                      “Breaking News,”

                      “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        When the interstate highway system was built, those roads were built to last. Now, after 60 years, the first ones are worn out but the new roads are now falling apart in less then 10 years.

                        What went wrong?
                        “Breaking News,”

                        “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                          When the interstate highway system was built, those roads were built to last. Now, after 60 years, the first ones are worn out but the new roads are now falling apart in less then 10 years.

                          What went wrong?
                          Arizona has pretty good roads on the whole. The areas I've noted the most problems with streets are in cities that tend to be Progressive as they spend all their transportation money on public transit nobody uses, bike lanes and paths, light fair... err.. rail... and pedestrian crosswalk lights.

                          Tucson, the "Berkeley" of Arizona has terrible surface streets. They're also clogged with unsynchronized traffic lights, and all have bike lanes that take up otherwise useful space for cars. They have these pedestrian crosswalk light systems that bring traffic to a standstill, and a light fail system (aka Trolley) that goes from nowhere to nothing but cost hundreds of millions to install. Basically, Tucson is anti-car but there's no substitute for using a car to get around so the politicians doing what they're doing are pushing their insanity on the public rather than doing what works.

                          The interstate system here is in good shape and is even expanding some on the state level.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            Lol. You think there are sidewalks everywhere? I see people walking on the ROAD everyday.
                            And they should get the **** out of the way.....

                            Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                            BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                            BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              Arizona has pretty good roads on the whole. The areas I've noted the most problems with streets are in cities that tend to be Progressive as they spend all their transportation money on public transit nobody uses, bike lanes and paths, light fair... err.. rail... and pedestrian crosswalk lights.

                              Tucson, the "Berkeley" of Arizona has terrible surface streets. They're also clogged with unsynchronized traffic lights, and all have bike lanes that take up otherwise useful space for cars. They have these pedestrian crosswalk light systems that bring traffic to a standstill, and a light fail system (aka Trolley) that goes from nowhere to nothing but cost hundreds of millions to install. Basically, Tucson is anti-car but there's no substitute for using a car to get around so the politicians doing what they're doing are pushing their insanity on the public rather than doing what works.

                              The interstate system here is in good shape and is even expanding some on the state level.
                              A situation too common in many states; the use of transportation funds to finance "public transit" boondoggles.
                              Throwing good money into bad systems/"solutions" would seem to be the first priority for correction.
                              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                                A situation too common in many states; the use of transportation funds to finance "public transit" boondoggles.
                                Throwing good money into bad systems/"solutions" would seem to be the first priority for correction.
                                It makes perfect sense to politicians and bureaucrats. It gives them more control, more budget, more people they're "managing," and they can claim it's for "The people" and that they're helping "The poor."

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X