Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI failed to follow protocols that could have prevented Florida school shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI failed to follow protocols that could have prevented Florida school shooting

Maybe if the FBI hadn't been so preoccupied trying to overturn the 2016 election, they wouldn't have fumbled this so badly...
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation acknowledged on Friday that some “protocols were not followed” after it obtained a tip in January that Nikolas Cruz, the suspect in the Florida school attack, had the potential of “conducting a school shooting.”

“We are still investigating the facts,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in a statement. “I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public.”

The FBI said a caller had provided the bureau with “information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts” on Jan. 5.

But because of a lapse in procedure, the bureau said, the information was “not provided” to its regional field office in Miami and “no further investigation was conducted at that time.”

The announcement prompted a wave of backlash by public officials, with Gov. Rick Scott of Florida issuing a call for Wray to step down.

“The FBI’s failure to take action against this killer is unacceptable,” Scott said in a statement, adding: “The FBI Director needs to resign.”

[...]
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-errors-415664
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Not that I'm fronting for the Bureau or anything, but wouldn't the local police department have been the more appropriate repository for this kind of report, not the FBI?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

More and more lately we hear this constant litany from the FBI - they knew about it beforehand but did nothing.

We're not getting our money's worth from the Feeble, Bumpling and Incompetent.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Not that I'm fronting for the Bureau or anything, but wouldn't the local police department have been the more appropriate repository for this kind of report, not the FBI?
        Makes sense. But then again, who is better equipped, or mandated to act on this info?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The tip came from Jackson MS.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The Famous But Incompetent have larger issues to worry about than school shootings. Such as working to impact elections, attacking the duly elected representatives of the people, and bringing pressure to bear on political groups who do not contribute to the right people.

It is long overdue for housecleaning in the FBI and DoJ. We need wholesale dismissals starting at the upper echelons.

Either we have a central investigative body, or we have a political police owned wholly or in part by a single political party. It is time to choose which. J Edgar's corrupt legacy must end.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              The Famous But Incompetent have larger issues to worry about than school shootings. Such as working to impact elections, attacking the duly elected representatives of the people, and bringing pressure to bear on political groups who do not contribute to the right people.

It is long overdue for housecleaning in the FBI and DoJ. We need wholesale dismissals starting at the upper echelons.

Either we have a central investigative body, or we have a political police owned wholly or in part by a single political party. It is time to choose which. J Edgar's corrupt legacy must end.
              The senior leadership of the FBI has been changed.

The FBI screwed the pooch in this case, but all I see in this thread is overreaction based on prejudice against the FBI and DOJ, both of which are now run by Trump appointees.

That the FBI failed here is tragic. And I have no doubt that those responsible will be punished/fired/censored. The issue is too important not to have that happen.

But that does not mean that the FBI is either incompetent or should be abolished.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

At least the local PD should have been alerted!

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                  The FBI screwed the pooch in this case, but all I see in this thread is overreaction based on prejudice against the FBI and DOJ,
                  I don't think anyone is overreacting, the FBI deserves every bit of criticism said about them. How the DOJ fit into this, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    The tip came from Jackson MS.
                    They learned about this perp via social media?
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      Precisely. If they had no intention of looking into it, they should have at least alerted the local sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                        By who?

A person in Jackson MS notified the FBI of Cruz's YouTube comments about becoming a professional school shooter. His YouTube ID was 'Nikolas Cruz.' The Jackson FBI didn't follow it up... at all...
                        The FBI said a caller had provided the bureau with “information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts” on Jan. 5.

But because of a lapse in procedure, the bureau said, the information was “not provided” to its regional field office in Miami and “no further investigation was conducted at that time.”

They were all probably out hunting Russian trolls...

Comment

They learned about this perp via social media?
                          The YouTube video was a tip via social media from someone in Jackson MS.

What we learned today was that a friend of the murder called the FBI hotline to report him on January the 5th. This was a separate incident from the YouTube video.
                          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                            Precisely. If they had no intention of looking into it, they should have at least alerted the local sheriff.
                            That would have been the "local sherrif" in Jackson, Mississippi.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              Maybe if the FBI hadn't been so preoccupied trying to overturn the 2016 election, they wouldn't have fumbled this so badly...
                              The Federal Bureau of Investigation acknowledged on Friday that some “protocols were not followed” after it obtained a tip in January that Nikolas Cruz, the suspect in the Florida school attack, had the potential of “conducting a school shooting.”

“We are still investigating the facts,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in a statement. “I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public.”

The announcement prompted a wave of backlash by public officials, with Gov. Rick Scott of Florida issuing a call for Wray to step down.

“The FBI’s failure to take action against this killer is unacceptable,” Scott said in a statement, adding: “The FBI Director needs to resign.”

[...]
                              https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-errors-415664
                              This post is so bad it defies science.

Blaming the FBI on this shooting is stupid.

People are dead, and all some people care about is political gain?

We really need to ban politics here a ACG.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X