Gun Laws and Moral Cowardice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
    I agree that we have a love of guns. Our culture is very different from European culture. In some ways better other ways worse.
    All we can do is deal with the situation that we have and the laws that we have.

Pretty much. Culturally we are far more diverse than most European countries, and have been that way for most of our history. There are situations that arise where different cultures clash, or where the worst parts of a culture are distilled due to unique circumstances. I think Europe is seeing first hand what happens when you have to blend opposing cultures, it's not particularly pretty.

Another thing that one could do a study of would be genetics. Take those who emigrated, and those who remained, especially in Europe, and see if there are any marker differences. Considering that to come to America for many would be an adventure and would involve some level of stress, violence, or hardship, I hypothesize that compared to their European counterparts, Americans as a whole might be more predisposed to the hands on solution to a problem.

I fully agree that the mentally ill should not have guns, the problem is that we canít stop that until they are legally determined to be mentally ill.

I would fully support a method that allows us to address that specific problem, but none that have been proposed work from a constitutional perspective.
    I would fully support it as well. I will say that on the LE side we've been working on what we can. I actually worked on something with my LT this week, reviewing application of some laws that allow us to temporarily (very short term) seize weapons when we deal with someone mentally ill and commit them. At least in my state we do have the ability to execute a temporary seizure until the hearing if we have cause to reasonably believe that the person is a danger to life or public catastrophe. It's not much, but within what we have to work with it's about as much as we can do.

I would like to see a more robust mental health system, and a better framework to make competency determinations. We routinely commit people who are flat out dangerous, only to see them walk out of the hospital before we even get out. Mental health is a joke, and all you need to do is tell the doctor that you're not crazy and he'll let you walk out.....no matter what that affadavit says about his condition or what he's done.

I do wonder in this situation, how many times out of those 39 prior calls to his residence, was the subject committed and released by doctors who will never be named or liable for their unwillingness to make a full assessment.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      I would fully support it as well. I will say that on the LE side we've been working on what we can. I actually worked on something with my LT this week, reviewing application of some laws that allow us to temporarily (very short term) seize weapons when we deal with someone mentally ill and commit them. At least in my state we do have the ability to execute a temporary seizure until the hearing if we have cause to reasonably believe that the person is a danger to life or public catastrophe. It's not much, but within what we have to work with it's about as much as we can do.

I would like to see a more robust mental health system, and a better framework to make competency determinations. We routinely commit people who are flat out dangerous, only to see them walk out of the hospital before we even get out. Mental health is a joke, and all you need to do is tell the doctor that you're not crazy and he'll let you walk out.....no matter what that affadavit says about his condition or what he's done.

I do wonder in this situation, how many times out of those 39 prior calls to his residence, was the subject committed and released by doctors who will never be named or liable for their unwillingness to make a full assessment.
      I've experienced living with my dad with full on senile dementia. The last time he had to go to the hospital I raised holy hell about his possession of firearms with his doctors and got it stopped. Well, he still has them but without a firing pin they are just inert hunks of steel. The Sheriffs showed up afterwards and I showed them the firing pins so they wouldn't have to seize them. Had a frank chat with them and they were visibly pleased that I solved the problem without them having to deal with a seriously mentally impaired old man...

Yeah, life sucks sometimes but you have to roll with it.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        I've experienced living with my dad with full on senile dementia. The last time he had to go to the hospital I raised holy hell about his possession of firearms with his doctors and got it stopped. Well, he still has them but without a firing pin they are just inert hunks of steel. The Sheriffs showed up afterwards and I showed them the firing pins so they wouldn't have to seize them. Had a frank chat with them and they were visibly pleased that I solved the problem without them having to deal with a seriously mentally impaired old man...

Yeah, life sucks sometimes but you have to roll with it.
        In those cases I highly encourage families to do exactly what you did. I can't permanently seize them without a hearing, and in many cases of dementia it's a matter of maintaining their dignity as long as it lasts. I'd rather family members simply make them disappear, or do things like remove firing pins, bolts, etc to disable them.

It's one element of keeping the mentally ill away from weapons that we don't consider very much. As a large society, we must by necessity focus on the law and laws. But as a society often made up of families, the family can take some responsibility for saying that a brother/sister/son/daughter is mentally ill and shouldn't have weapons and keep weapons away from them. Either from fatigue or just a lack of spine, some families want to make LE deal with their mentally ill member completely and simply refuse to do anything.....sad really.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          In those cases I highly encourage families to do exactly what you did. I can't permanently seize them without a hearing, and in many cases of dementia it's a matter of maintaining their dignity as long as it lasts. I'd rather family members simply make them disappear, or do things like remove firing pins, bolts, etc to disable them.

It's one element of keeping the mentally ill away from weapons that we don't consider very much. As a large society, we must by necessity focus on the law and laws. But as a society often made up of families, the family can take some responsibility for saying that a brother/sister/son/daughter is mentally ill and shouldn't have weapons and keep weapons away from them. Either from fatigue or just a lack of spine, some families want to make LE deal with their mentally ill member completely and simply refuse to do anything.....sad really.
          It was simply a matter of necessity, He's delusional, confuses night with day for example. I have to say that Hospice have been really great. They've stepped up and really helped out here...

https://www.nhpco.org/about/hospice-care
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            Massena also uses the term clip to describe a magazine.
            Where did I say that?

Comment

• Text deleted.

You have been warned to address the post, and not the poster.

Have a nice vacation.

BW
              Last edited by Bad Wolf; 19 Feb 18, 20:29.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Text deleted.

You have been warned previously not to engage in personal tit-for-tat.

Have a nice vacation.

BW
                Last edited by Bad Wolf; 19 Feb 18, 14:52.

Comment

• You have been warned not to engage in personal tit-for-tat.

You also know better than discuss Staff actions in public.

Have a nice vacation

BW
                  Last edited by Bad Wolf; 19 Feb 18, 14:55.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Twenty two posts deleted for name-calling, personal commentary, and childish tit-for-tat exchanges.

Three members taking a vacation.

Vacation slots are still available for those that want to test my resolve.

BW

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X