X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    And how would you do this ?

All of them ? Also from the criminals ?

Would you issue a proclamation ordening all criminals to bring in their weapons ?
    Did you read the rest of my post, or even that sentence?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

There have been school shootings since the 1800s.

Columbine was not the first; it was just the first to garner attention in quite a while.

Part of the problem is that it makes the news. Far more teens commit suicide every year, but they don't go beyond local news.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Part of the problem is that it makes the news.
        If ignorance was bliss, you would be one happy 'gentleman.'

The main problem is that weapons are sold or given to people who have mental problems, as is the case here, and as it was at Sandy Creek.
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Acting weird and having guns is not a crime, but making threats is.
          This guy had red flags all over the place.
          Nikolas Cruz on a September 2017 video-
          "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."

That was made known to the FBI. I guess they were too busy with other things.
          {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
            I think that's a real problem all across the western World but it doesn't explain the sheer number of school shootings in the USA.
            I also think it would be great to get rid of all the guns in civilian hands in the USA (yes, all of them) but I'm not American and so it's not for me to tell you guys what to do and anyway, the genie is out of the bottle on that one; it just isn't going to happen. Therefore all the noise about it is a waste of time.

Lastly I would like to offer my condolences to anyone touched by this tragedy.
            The fact that we see so many school shootings (at least relatively) is something I wish the authorities would examine.
            Do the attackers go after schools because they are easy (i.e. gun free zones) or because they still have some deep resentments over their time at school. I do not know, but if we are going to do something, I think this is an area that must be looked at.

Banning guns probably wouldn't help much. We have already banned heroin, cocaine and a host of other drugs and yet they are everywhere.
            If we can't stop the importation of drugs, I doubt we will ever be able to confiscate the hundreds of millions of guns in private hands.

I also think that banning guns is a poor way to address the problem. As I said, we have hundreds of millions of guns in this country. There has been a huge increase in private gun ownership over the past couple decades, and yet our murder rate continues to drop. So it should be pretty obvious that guns don't cause crime.
            This is to say nothing of punishing innocent people by confiscating their possessions because someone else committed a crime. We don't ban alcohol or cars even though both cause more deaths than hand guns.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

And how many illegal firearms do you have?

Still requires a background check. Who labels who as mentally ill? YOU?

Educate yourself on Sandy Hook before mouthing off.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
              If ignorance was bliss, you would be one happy 'gentleman.'

The main problem is that weapons are sold or given to people who have mental problems, as is the case here, and as it was at Sandy Creek.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Exactly!

The parents should be liable and held financially responsible. That should get parents to become a little better at parenting.

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
                Acting weird and having guns is not a crime, but making threats is.
                This guy had red flags all over the place.
                Nikolas Cruz on a September 2017 video-
                "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."

That was made known to the FBI. I guess they were too busy with other things.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  And how many illegal firearms do you have?

Still requires a background check. Who labels who as mentally ill? YOU?

Educate yourself on Sandy Hook before mouthing off.
                  Take your own advice about 'mouthing off' as you do it so often.

And I have no illegal firearms.
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                    Did you read the rest of my post, or even that sentence?
                    You said : get rid of all the guns in civilian hands .

Yes or no ?

I ask you simply : how do you do this ? Especially with the criminals .

The only thing you will be able to do ,is to deprive the innocent people of guns ,and thus of the possibility to protect them against criminals .

If there was a law in Florida forbidding civilians to have a gun, would the shooting not happen ? Would the murderer say : I will not buy a gun,because it is forbidden ?

As criminals always will have guns, innocent people also must have guns .

There is a simple way to decrease the number of shootings, but no one in the US or in Europe has the guts to make it possible . Excepting Trump, but he has not the power .

Comment

Wow, talk about manic highs. Calm down now.

My worst jump story:
                      No lie.

~
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

For all those on this forum that have denigrated US students, teachers, and schools you might want to take a look at what is being said about those in the school who helped save lives.

Two teachers were murdered while protecting their students and many students helped others during the mess.

One janitor saved a lot of students from running to the shooter instead of away from it.

The current attitude of some on this forum against schools, teachers, and students is as disgusting as it is inaccurate and wrongheaded. I won't name those who are in that category, but that would be easy to do.

Those of you who take that stance are both ignorant and stupid and undoubtedly suffer from keyboard cowardice.

Comment

As with most liberals they want the innocent to be deprived of self-protection.

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                          You said : get rid of all the guns in civilian hands .

Yes or no ?

I ask you simply : how do you do this ? Especially with the criminals .

The only thing you will be able to do ,is to deprive the innocent people of guns ,and thus of the possibility to protect them against criminals .

If there was a law in Florida forbidding civilians to have a gun, would the shooting not happen ? Would the murderer say : I will not buy a gun,because it is forbidden ?

As criminals always will have guns, innocent people also must have guns .

There is a simple way to decrease the number of shootings, but no one in the US or in Europe has the guts to make it possible . Excepting Trump, but he has not the power .
                          My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Well.....you couldn't be bothered to get Sandy Hook right before using it as an example....showing the new normal for you in logic and reason.

And Lanza murdered his mother in order to acquire the weapon used at Sandy Hook. Last I checked, Murder and Larceny of a Firearm are both crimes and therefore prohibited.

But by all means, let's just take rights from law abiding citizens for 'reasons'. If they ever do start forming task forces to go door to door and seize all firearms, I'll make sure to put in a personal request to go to your house....
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

All the "little"boys and their toys. Grow up damn it. Terrorism and the WALL are not the problem in the US.

TacC, your dancing. Problem is still the gun. What else could be used? two or three knifes?
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Just as with every other mass shooting, people knew, nothing was done about it,.

Florida shooting: FBI and teachers 'warned' about Nikolas Cruz
                                The FBI was warned about the teenager who allegedly carried out a mass shooting at his former school in Florida, the BBC understands.
                                Nikolas Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, reportedly left a comment on a YouTube video last year stating: "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."
                                A user alerted authorities to the post.
                                Teachers were also warned about Mr Cruz, who was not allowed on campus with a backpack, US media report.
                                Florida shooting: Live updates
                                Seventeen people were killed and many more were injured in the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Several people are in a critical condition.
                                It is the deadliest shooting at a US school since 2012.
                                After seeing a comment on a YouTube post last year by Mr Cruz, 19, user Ben Bennight contacted the FBI with his concerns. He said he spoke to representatives there for about 20 minutes.
                                Mr Bennight said that the FBI had contacted him again following the school shooting in Parkland.
                                The FBI has not yet commented on the reports.
                                http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43071710
                                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                                Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X