This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bow View Post
    Hell!! you guys (US) dont have to worry about shooting ISIS or the Taleban your to busy shooting each other.......for a so called civilized country you sure can make a mess of things......Sad!!!! efn Sad!!!....
    We have our own culture and you are a xenophobe for critiquing it.
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      We no longer take the needs of boys seriously in public schools. When our education system's teachers are 85% + females, there's a problem. When the curricula is geared to what might be called a nerd / female liberal arts one there's a problem.

The result is that many boys in the school system now feel marginalized and that they're not getting anything useful out being there. This and a feeling of general worthlessness is leading to them lashing out.
      I think that's a real problem all across the western World but it doesn't explain the sheer number of school shootings in the USA.
      I also think it would be great to get rid of all the guns in civilian hands in the USA (yes, all of them) but I'm not American and so it's not for me to tell you guys what to do and anyway, the genie is out of the bottle on that one; it just isn't going to happen. Therefore all the noise about it is a waste of time.

Lastly I would like to offer my condolences to anyone touched by this tragedy.
      Last edited by E.D. Morel; 15 Feb 18, 03:49.
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Uh, we do. Quick poll, I've got none. How many other members have them?

I could make some but what's the point? I dislike semi-autos. I like old bolt actions.

MOA.
        Yes, your so typicality.

I had semi-auto back in the 60s

If you could remember, most all members that are gun owners here at ACG have a semi-auto pistol and many semi-auto rifle.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

Comment

In 2015 there were 772 drug overdose deaths among people aged 15 to 19.

In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes. Distraction played a role in nearly six out of 10 teen crashes making the smart phone more deadly than guns. 60 percent of teen drivers killed in a crash were not wearing a safety belt. Speeding is involved in 30 percent of fatal crashes involving teen drivers.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among persons aged 10-14, the second among persons aged 15-34 years. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.

The question becomes why are people so focused on guns which are constitutionally protected (in theory) from government control than all the other preventable causes of death in teenagers. I think it is pretty clear that it is because many people think guns are unnecessary, owned primarily by "deplorables", a problem for which there is a easy solution and gun violence is sensational.

All of these teenage problems have one thing in common and that is bad parenting. What we need is to licence parenting not guns These school shooting are tragic but fall under the cost of freedom. Considering the recent revelations on the FBI's and NSA's abuse of surveillance how much more freedom are people willing to exchange for security.
            With some, such as , retroactive birth control would be better.

How can you related teen deaths in vehicle accidents to bad parenting? Bonkers

How can you related the 17 dead in FL to bad parenting, did none of these children have good parents?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
              Population. More people = more rolls of the dice for mental issues. And population and population density are skyrocketing so lots of rolls on the ol' percentile.

Media. Large social network allows for germination of radical ideology, angst, and copycat psychology.

Culture. We live in an age where the education system tries to pre cynicize our young people whereas older educational practice presented a more idealized vision of America.

Music. Much of today's music conveys a negative message. High school kids didn't have access to music that reinforced negative emotion like we do today. Until probably the 60s pop songs tended to be overwhelmingly positive.

Family dynamic. Fewer parents at home.

Among other things.
              All a bunch of baloney.

Music, the rest of the World has the same...mostly junk.

Social Media...the same one World.

Population density... The US has a low population density well except in the heads perhaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Now here you might be on to something REAL.

Some highlights of the report are:
              • Sixty-six percent of households in 2012 were family
              households, down from 81 percent in 1970.
              • Between 1970 and 2012, the share of households
              that were married couples with children under
              18 halved from 40 percent to 20 percent.
              • The proportion of one-person households increased
              by 10 percentage points between 1970 and 2012,
              from 17 percent to 27 percent.
              • Between 1970 and 2012, the average number of
              people per household declined from 3.1 to 2.6.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-570.pdf

You mentioned culture and that imo is the biggest problem. A culture where guns are adored and violence is considered manly.

When I was a teen I was a loner and had guns. I liked guns, still do but always respected guns. Most of my friends, that had guns were the same way. Nobody talked about shooting others or going to school to settle differences.

Something has changed and not for the better. Guns are part of the problem but not the core problem. IFa total gun ban would stop the mass killings I would be for it. But it wouldn't. As stated, I had guns, friends had guns back when I was a teen. We didn't have mass shootings. What has changed since then?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                We no longer take the needs of boys seriously in public schools. When our education system's teachers are 85% + females, there's a problem. When the curricula is geared to what might be called a nerd / female liberal arts one there's a problem.

The result is that many boys in the school system now feel marginalized and that they're not getting anything useful out being there. This and a feeling of general worthlessness is leading to them lashing out.
                Another load of...

From 1950-63 I had four male teachers. The first one in the 6th grade. The rest in different shop classes and PE. So no big difference from 60 years ago.

Comment

Oh and I very sure your not.

Comment

In addition as a constitutional monarchy the government of Britain does not require the protection of an armed citizenry as does a republic.
                    What a brain fart!

Who is the King of France? What type of government does France have? Same questions for Ireland.
                    Last edited by Half Pint John; 15 Feb 18, 05:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      Psychotropic drugs. http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...ugs-1002085657

I've seen the effects of withdrawal on my poor old dad. He goes ape **** crazy over how many cups of coffee I've had. Serious Ape **** Crazy. Really. Wonder why I took the firing pins out of his guns???
                      Your wealthy, so you claim. Why isn't he getting professional care? Can't you afford it?

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                        I also think it would be great to get rid of all the guns in civilian hands in the USA (yes, all of them)
                        And how would you do this ?

All of them ? Also from the criminals ?

Would you issue a proclamation ordening all criminals to bring in their weapons ?

The question is : why are there now that much shootings in schools,much more than in the past, while in the past there were no stringent anti-gun laws ?

And why are the media focussing on shootings in schools and ignoring the daily shootings in the cities where everyday people are killed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          All a bunch of baloney.

Music, the rest of the World has the same...mostly junk.

Social Media...the same one World.

Population density... The US has a low population density well except in the heads perhaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Now here you might be on to something REAL.

Some highlights of the report are:
                          • Sixty-six percent of households in 2012 were family
                          households, down from 81 percent in 1970.
                          • Between 1970 and 2012, the share of households
                          that were married couples with children under
                          18 halved from 40 percent to 20 percent.
                          • The proportion of one-person households increased
                          by 10 percentage points between 1970 and 2012,
                          from 17 percent to 27 percent.
                          • Between 1970 and 2012, the average number of
                          people per household declined from 3.1 to 2.6.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-570.pdf

You mentioned culture and that imo is the biggest problem. A culture where guns are adored and violence is considered manly.

When I was a teen I was a loner and had guns. I liked guns, still do but always respected guns. Most of my friends, that had guns were the same way. Nobody talked about shooting others or going to school to settle differences.

Something has changed and not for the better. Guns are part of the problem but not the core problem. IFa total gun ban would stop the mass killings I would be for it. But it wouldn't. As stated, I had guns, friends had guns back when I was a teen. We didn't have mass shootings. What has changed since then?
                          What has changed ? Abdication of parents, of schools, of churches children left to fend for themselves,extenuating of crimes and of criminals . The whole education system in the US has collapsed,and Europe is following .

Responsibles ? The revolutionaries of 1968 and their liberal accomplices . When it is forbidden to forbidden, the result is anarchy .

Law and order have gone, one sees the results .

Comment

And what about the terrorist link ? The murderer followed messages from Syrian resistance groups on social media .

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

That on short term at least banning them outright is not a panacea is certainly true. On long term (meaning several decades) it might lead to a change in the culture of the gun worship and violence. Then again it might not.
                              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                                We have had the 2nd Amendment for a very long time, these school shootings are a rather new phenomenon, since Columbine.
                                So what changed?
                                Liberalism being promoted in the public schools.

Back in the 60s, it was not uncommon for hunting rifles and shotguns to be in a student's car during hunting season. There were no mass shootings at any of those usually rural high schools.

The pledge was recited every morning as you stood at attention facing the flag.

The big 2,000+ high schools had an ARMED security personnel, usually a retired cop, working for them.

The worst trouble that might occur could be a fist fight with possibly a knife involved. Such students would be expelled and possibly end up in a juvenile detention center.

Bad behavior was not tolerated. Even gum chewing could get you into trouble resulting in you being detained for an extra hour after class.

Then;

Along came the Liberals with policies of excusing the bad behavior. Then, came the bans on notifying the parents if their kid did something wrong followed by teachers being banned from discipline of the unruly and school officials being discouraged to expulsion of the truly deranged with the predictable results.

Out went the dress codes, in came the cell phones and other distractions.

All references to God and country were banned next.

Pink Floyd "We don't need no education," became a popular hit.

Unions protected the bad teachers while discouraging the teaching of the good ones.

No medications of any kind were allowed in the school. Yet, In came the powerful behavior controlling drugs as mandated by school officials. Those drugs could have mind damaging side effects such as thoughts of suicide and violent outbursts.

Condoms became available on demand. Birth control and abortions were offered to the girls where the parents were never told.

Any wonder why this society is now reaping the benefits of 50+ years of liberalism in the failing public schools?

The violence knows no age group as evidenced by a shooting that took place in the Beecher School System several years ago by a six year old boy that had raised himself in some of the most horrible home life condition one could ever imagine. A lifestyle resulting from Johnson's "War on Poverty," and a major failure of the liberal court system to contain people that succumbed to a lifestyle only the Devil would embrace. A "Lord of the Flies" scenario for real.
                                http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...32100-idx.html
                                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X