X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    I guess I was wrong...
    data?
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      How Congress and Trump stymied Obama's mental-health gun-control rule

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-...192935462.html
      Obama needed to be stymied on EVERYTHING, HPJ, the guy was a whuzz and HIPPA Laws are NOT preventing Loonies from getting Firearms, thanks to you and all your Liberal Friends.
      Last edited by Trung Si; 15 Feb 18, 22:08.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
        Obama needed to be stymied on EVERYTHING, HPJ, the guy was a wuzz and HIPPA Laws are NOT preventing Loonies from getting Firearms, thanks to you and all your Liberal Friends.
        Exactly.

The Bill of Rights in inalienable.

Let the Feds decide who get their rights and who doesn't because of an arbitrary classification and the Bill of Rights is finished.

It is a Bill of Rights, not a List of Award-able Privileges.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena
          More from the goose-steppers.

Perhaps this will help you:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
          What in gods name does this have to do with the mass shooting in Florida?

Get a room, you are obsessed with Trump!
          Stay on topic.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            data?
            Data? Itís a friggen documentary!
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Data? Itís a friggen documentary!
              No one ever claimed that violent crime doesn't exist in other countries. What has been said is that America is the worst developed country in terms of mass violence.

The documentary does not compare violent crime to the US so there's no data presented to refute anything previously stated.

In other words, your documentary is irrelevant to the discussion.
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                Actually when it comes to violence in general, it is at an all time low. You have to be careful about letting yourself be affected by the media sensationalist machine. We have more shootings NUMERICALLY than in ages past but PER CAPITA (the true indicator of trends) the violence in our society has been declining. More high schoolers are killed by car accidents and even cancer. School shootings are high profile in the media and definitely something needing to be addressed but the reality of life is that the drive to school is more dangerous than the threat of a gunman.

And actually compared to other countries our per capita violence differs by a mere fraction. It has already been noted that the odds of being the victim of a violent death in America isn't even a full percentage point higher than it is in the UK. When it comes to quality of life the UK is really really really safe while America is merely really really safe.

The great temptations among those who fear gun violence are to look at numbers over percentages, study hype over history, and refrain from in depth case by case analysis. And that can interfere with finding a working solution.

Here are the truths:

Violent crime is declining.

America is only marginally more violent than her peers and even then only in very specific trouble spots (many of which have gun control)

A vast majority of people will never see gun crime.

That said here are some more truths:

Mass shootings among teens, while still extremely rare, still occur and at an increased level than 50 years ago.

Which presents the interesting quandary of one graph going down while the other goes up. You should still be far more afraid of your teenager's commute to McDonalds than any gunmen but a trend is identified and needs to be addressed.

More truths:

Social trends involve multiple x factors. There is no silver bullet for solving them. Gun control came to Scotland and they merely switched to stabbing each other. Nemo me impune lacessit.

Weapons are tools and not motives.

To truly combat violence, you need to combat the cause and not the tool.

I listed some possible factors to be addressed on page 2.
                So a homicide rate of 4.8 per 100000 when compared a murder rate of 0.9 works out as less than a 1% difference?.

Aye ok.....
                Last edited by Paddybhoy; 15 Feb 18, 23:31.

Comment

What in gods name does this have to do with the mass shooting in Florida?

Get a room, you are obsessed with Trump!
                  Stay on topic.

Give him some credit for being consistent.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    Let's just turn schools into day prisons why don't we...?

Think of it as a class on how to enter a government building or get on an airplane...

Many schools are already doing this and the ones who are not...should seriously consider it.
                    On top of this, they should also secure all doors and give each student a key card to enter the school.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• I am a gun owner, I live in a gun culture. Most of the people I know own guns. New Brunswick is a great hunting spot, for example the annual moose draw always creates a buzz here. I am in awe of the hunting and shooting skills of many people I know, I believe them to be the best outdoors-men on the planet Earth. They compare guns, they (and I) compete for who is the best shot when we go pheasant hunting (I lose).NONE OF THEM, NONE OF THEM support the sale of automatic weopens or semi-automatic weopens.

There are more guns per person in the United States than Canada but only because those that own guns have a lot of them. There are more people that own guns per capita in Canada than the United States, because of people like me that only own 1 gun. United States has had 18 school shootings this year. Canada has had 19 school shootings, BUT THAT IS IN IT'S ENTIRE HISTORY SINCE 1867 AND CANADA IS HIGH COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES. Something is seriously astray, and the first step ought to be banning the ownership of automatic and semiautomatic wepeons.

Comment

No one ever claimed that violent crime doesn't exist in other countries. What has been said is that America is the worst developed country in terms of mass violence.
                        A statement which would be wrong anyway. Unless by "developed" you mean "carefully cherry picked selection of western European countries that can support confirmation bias".

Which would be racist.

Its true America is marginally more violent than, say, France. But as has been stated before, when dealing with fractions of percentage points in difference, it doesn't take a big nudge to bump the numbers.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                          I am a gun owner, I live in a gun culture. Most of the people I know own guns. New Brunswick is a great hunting spot, for example the annual moose draw always creates a buzz here. I am in awe of the hunting and shooting skills of many people I know, I believe them to be the best outdoors-men on the planet Earth. They compare guns, they (and I) compete for who is the best shot when we go pheasant hunting (I lose).NONE OF THEM, NONE OF THEM support the sale of automatic weopens or semi-automatic weopens.

There are more guns per person in the United States than Canada but only because those that own guns have a lot of them. There are more people that own guns per capita in Canada than the United States, because of people like me that only own 1 gun. United States has had 18 school shootings this year. Canada has had 19 school shootings, BUT THAT IS IN IT'S ENTIRE HISTORY SINCE 1867 AND CANADA IS HIGH COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES. Something is seriously astray, and the first step ought to be banning the ownership of automatic and semiautomatic wepeons.
                          It isn't the availability of guns causing the problem, it's a combination of culture and social mores that is.

Comment

It isn't the availability of guns causing the problem, it's a combination of culture and social mores that is.
                            I'm not calling for limiting gun availability, except for the banning of automatic or semi-automatic rifles..

Parkland school shooting: AR-15
                            Texas church shooting: AR-15
                            Las Vegas shooting: AR-15
                            Orlando nightclub shooting: AR-15
                            Sandy Hook shooting: AR-15

Comment

If there is a problem with culture and social mores them all the more reason not to trust the population with AR-15's

Comment

You're more likely to be killed in a car wreck than you are by a Muslim. But conservatives don't care about putting things in an accurate context until the 2ndA is threatened then all of a sudden we recognize the low likelihood of such dangers.
                                Actually, you are more likely to be killed by an abortion than a car wreck, terrorist or a gun but liberals don't care about putting things in an accurate context.
                                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X