Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports teams Logo changes: Is Weaponised Political Correctness a good thing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sports teams Logo changes: Is Weaponised Political Correctness a good thing?

    Sports teams Logo changes: Is Weaponised Political Correctness a good thing?

    I’ve tentatively agreed to participate in and possibly head a side in a local discussion/debate being organised later this year on the proposition that ‘Weaponised Political Correctness is of good long-term benefit to Society’.

    I might get to choose which side to head.
    My heart is with the affirmative but my head is, on balance probably with the negative.
    I don’t have a ‘gut feeling’ about this issue as such and anyway, was taught never to trust or act on them if I ever had them!

    I loved political correctness when it started up properly in the 1970’s because I considered it just politeness and good manners and way of getting racist, sexist and oafish dolts to keep quite.
    However there is little doubt it has become highly weaponised in the last 25 years.
    To society’s benefit?

    I’m still gathering and sifting ideas information and approaches at present.

    Anyway I’m looking for extreme examples of dare I say it ‘Political Correctness gone mad’ to use the cliché.

    The recent announcement by the venerable Cleveland Indians baseball team that they are changing their iconic uniform logo due to objections raised by Native Americans (Arrrgh Native American!!! its political correctness gone made ARRRGH) raises my interest.

    I’m wondering if our US posters (of whatever political persuasion) think this is just a storm in a teacup or an example of an increasingly strident and uncompromising phenomenon, whereby an ever tightening Political Correctness finds its way into almost every level of public discussion or issue?

    Looking forward to your input.

    Regards lodestar

  • #2
    I think that they should have held a plebiscite with their ticket holders over an entire season. Every ticket sold counts as one vote. The ticket holder gets to write "keep" or "change" on each game stub and deposits it.

    This way, only paying customers get a vote. If the fans are not happy, then listen to the paying fans. Everyone else can keep their opinions to themselves.
    ScenShare Guidelines:

    1) Enjoy creating it
    2) Enjoy playing it
    3) Enjoy sharing it
    4) Enjoy helping others create them

    The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

    FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      If political correctness was about restoring manners, something sorely lacking in modern society, then it would be a good thing. Unfortunately the people that have deployed it as a weapon are neither polite nor conscientious.

      Globalists have hijacked it to some extent to sow anarchy which they profit from, George Soros being example number one.

      Marxists hijacked political correctness when they found out that the workers were doing better off without them and identity politics was better than workers parties anyway.

      Basically any group that can't articulate an argument has hijacked it to eliminate debate.

      Politeness has always been a characteristic associated with the upper class. With the democratization of education and the rise of the middle class politeness and other habits of the gentle class became wide spread. It isn't surprising that the politically correct crowd should rebel against that tradition and adopt a type of rudeness as their persona. For most of the rebellious types manners are not cool and unfortunately if you think by any means necessary is justified you are unlikely to be conscientious as well.

      Political correctness as it exist is damaging society in many ways because it prevents examination of the failures of the progressives. Take just one example, head start was a dismal failure because as it turns out what happens at home is more important than what happens at school. Progressives however have double down on racism as the primary cause of inner city failure. It is an unavoidable truism that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Programs like head start are important and if they were run by conservatives with the kind of conscientiousness conservatives are by nature inclined toward it would have been a success, no political correctness needed.
      We hunt the hunters

      Comment


      • #4
        Political correctness is a means of deliberately diluting the precision of the English language and reducing the average intelligence level to that of a bowl of jello.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          The way I look at it is this. What would the response be if the team was called the Cleveland Jews or Cleveland blacks?

          I imagine there would be even more outrage than what we're seeing from Native Americans, due only to difference in population size.

          Mascots are typically animals, how did native americans ever get put in the same group as bears, hawks, etc. A race of people aren't appropriate mascots for a sports team. I think the level of disrespect that presents should be obvious. Especially when discussing a group of people who were almost wiped out by white Europeans and now they're brought down to parading around as their mascots?

          It's just modern day subversion and we see this a lot throughout society and our media.

          I don't see this as political correctness, rather common sense respect for our fellow Americans as opposed to degrading them on a national level.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            The way I look at it is this. What would the response be if the team was called the Cleveland Jews or Cleveland blacks?

            I imagine there would be even more outrage than what we're seeing from Native Americans, due only to difference in population size.

            Mascots are typically animals, how did native americans ever get put in the same group as bears, hawks, etc. A race of people aren't appropriate mascots for a sports team. I think the level of disrespect that presents should be obvious. Especially when discussing a group of people who were almost wiped out by white Europeans and now they're brought down to parading around as their mascots?

            It's just modern day subversion and we see this a lot throughout society and our media.

            I don't see this as political correctness, rather common sense respect for our fellow Americans as opposed to degrading them on a national level.
            As with the Vikings, the Indian motif was intended as a nod to the warrior spirit of these groups, not their ethnicity. This was seen as a desirable trait in sporting endeavors.
            Today, idiots on the Left with political correctness have skewed what was a positive message into one that they want to be negative simply as another attempt to shutdown any speech they deem wrong.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
              Take just one example, head start was a dismal failure because as it turns out what happens at home is more important than what happens at school. Progressives however have double down on racism as the primary cause of inner city failure. It is an unavoidable truism that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Programs like head start are important and if they were run by conservatives with the kind of conscientiousness conservatives are by nature inclined toward it would have been a success, no political correctness needed.
              How did inner cities come to be in the first place?
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

              The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                As with the Vikings, the Indian motif was intended as a nod to the warrior spirit of these groups, not their ethnicity. This was seen as a desirable trait in sporting endeavors.
                Today, idiots on the Left with political correctness have skewed what was a positive message into one that they want to be negative simply as another attempt to shutdown any speech they deem wrong.
                But it's the native americans who are coming out and saying that they don't like it. Are you telling them how to feel?
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

                The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                  But it's the native americans who are coming out and saying that they don't like it. Are you telling them how to feel?
                  So what? Most Native Americans, and I've met and known far more than you have, don't give a hoot in hell about this stuff. It's the relative handful that went to college and got indoctrinated that do.
                  It's the same sort of thing as having Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say something and the MSM repeats it as a claim that they speak for all Blacks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The constant Cult of Victimology...
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                      The way I look at it is this. What would the response be if the team was called the Cleveland Jews or Cleveland blacks?

                      I imagine there would be even more outrage than what we're seeing from Native Americans, due only to difference in population size.

                      Mascots are typically animals, how did native americans ever get put in the same group as bears, hawks, etc. A race of people aren't appropriate mascots for a sports team. I think the level of disrespect that presents should be obvious. Especially when discussing a group of people who were almost wiped out by white Europeans and now they're brought down to parading around as their mascots?

                      It's just modern day subversion and we see this a lot throughout society and our media.

                      I don't see this as political correctness, rather common sense respect for our fellow Americans as opposed to degrading them on a national level.
                      Europeans are white, it's the native race of the continent, so no need to pre-face European with white.

                      That said.

                      As for using the red race I don't see the problem, why native Americans get put in the same group as those animals is not because they are viewed to be animals but because they would give each other those names to describe someones character / trait, say strong as a bear, eyes of a hawk etc. It's only offensive to ignorant people, of which we have plenty, or by those who simply chose to take offense when none was either given or intended.

                      By the way, most of the times it's not native Americans that get offended (or any other minority group), but stupid leftist white people who simply chose to take some misguided offense on behalf of some minority group. They always do stupid things like that, virtue signaling. They have nothing better to do with their time than to create conflicts and start champion some "cause", they love to create problems. It's the entire purpose of their existence. That's all they have.

                      If I was say a native American and had glasses with thick lenses and someone called me hawk eye, then yeah, maybe I would take a little bit offense, or maybe just laugh and say that was funny man.
                      Last edited by walle; 30 Jan 18, 12:55.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                        I

                        Politeness has always been a characteristic associated with the upper class. With the democratization of education and the rise of the middle class politeness and other habits of the gentle class became wide spread.
                        That's a strange statement, perhaps you meant etiquette? When it comes to upper class there's another word but I can't remember it at all...
                        Wisdom is personal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          So what? Most Native Americans, and I've met and known far more than you have, don't give a hoot in hell about this stuff. It's the relative handful that went to college and got indoctrinated that do.
                          It's the same sort of thing as having Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say something and the MSM repeats it as a claim that they speak for all Blacks.
                          So you constantly sit back and complain about how the media depicts whites, but when it comes to groups of Native Americans voicing their displeasure, it's "so what". We all know what that reeks of.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            So you constantly sit back and complain about how the media depicts whites, but when it comes to groups of Native Americans voicing their displeasure, it's "so what". We all know what that reeks of.
                            Most natives don't get over it you don't speak for them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by walle View Post
                              Europeans are white, it's the native race of the continent, so no need to pre-face European with white.

                              That said.

                              As for using the red race I don't see the problem, why native Americans get put in the same group as those animals is not because they are viewed to be animals but because they would give each other those names to describe someones character / trait, say strong as a bear, eyes of a hawk etc. It's only offensive to ignorant people, of which we have plenty, or by those who simply chose to take offense when none was either given or intended.

                              By the way, most of the times it's not native Americans that get offended (or any other minority group), but stupid leftist white people who simply chose to take some misguided offense on behalf of some minority group. They always do stupid things like that, virtue signaling. They have nothing better to do with their time than to create conflicts and start champion some "cause", they love to create problems. It's the entire purpose of their existence. That's all they have.

                              If I was say a native American and had glasses with thick lenses and someone called me hawk eye, then yeah, maybe I would take a little bit offense, or maybe just laugh and say that was funny man.
                              I think native americans are capable of speaking for their selves and they don't like the logo.

                              http://clevelandaim.us/site/tags/campaigns
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

                              The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X