SS United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Personal insults instead of substance? Not what I expected from you, but standards are slipping everywhere, so why should you be different.
    That wasn't a personal insult, you lost track of the subject:

Irrelevant, period. You're the one wandering around the naval landscape tossing out examples. Back then, asbestos was the most common, specified, insulation for steam plants.

The question here is what to do with the America, and the answer is it cannot be scrapped until current eco laws are complied with.
    In your zeal to label my post as irrelevant, you decided to talk about a ship that is completely irrelevant to the thread.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
      Is she worth saving or should she be scrapped for her metal?

Problem with scrapping is that it costs more to scrap than the scrap is worth. That is why India does such a thriving business (no nasty OSHA or Enviromental regulations or expensive labor).

SSUS was always a White Whale and is not really historically valuable enough to keep.

Tuebor

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        That wasn't a personal insult, you lost track of the subject:

In your zeal to label my post as irrelevant, you decided to talk about a ship that is completely irrelevant to the thread.
        Still at it, while I'm trying to enjoy the discussion?

Begone, Troll.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
          Problem with scrapping is that it costs more to scrap than the scrap is worth. That is why India does such a thriving business (no nasty OSHA or Enviromental regulations or expensive labor).

SSUS was always a White Whale and is not really historically valuable enough to keep.

Tuebor
          Well...the alternative remaining is to just let is rust away at its current mooring, unlikely to be popular with the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            The conversion cost would be tremendous. Asbestos removal and hazardous waste clean up would run into the tens of millions alone. Scrapping is a better alternative. Maybe sinking her as an artificial reef somewhere.
            From what I read on Wiki and elsewhere all asbestos was removed by the mid 1990's. Currently its preservation group is spending $60k/month in maintenance costs, and they continue to get six figure contributions!!!!!

Tuebor

Comment

From what I read on Wiki and elsewhere all asbestos was removed by the mid 1990's. Currently its preservation group is spending $60k/month in maintenance costs, and they continue to get six figure contributions!!!!!

Tuebor
              Yes, as previously posted, so...what is to be done with it? To cheap to worth scraping, not worth reconditioning/re-purposing, not reef-worthy, so what?

Comment

Tuebor

Comment

Still at it, while I'm trying to enjoy the discussion?

Begone, Troll.
                  Enjoy the discussion by talking about the America?

That really sounds like trolling........
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Tuebor
                    There's a market for the scrap if t's good steel. We just took down the Bay Bridge and there were so many companies bidding madly to get the contract to take apart the bridge for the steel. They don't make steel nowadays like they used to. Most steel for building comes from China now. They new Bay Bridge was built with Chinese steel and the bridge has been having structural issues since the day they cut the ribbon.

Last edited by Persephone; 30 Jan 18, 07:35.
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

There's a market for the scrap if t's good steel. We just took down the Bay Bridge and there were so many companies bidding madly to get the contract to take apart the bridge for the steel. They don't make steel nowadays like they used to. Most steel for building comes from China now. They new Bay Bridge was built with Chinese steel and the bridge has been having structural issues since the day they cut the ribbon.
                      Quality control has always been their weakness.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Were they actually desperate for the steel, currently at a major low on the market, or were they after the lucrative contract and the opportunity for more such in the future?

Scrap steel is around $90/ton right now in my area, but I can remember just
                        few years ago when it was $210/ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Quality control has always been their weakness.
                          Yeah...they must have learned their quality control from the Russians.

Comment

What kind of problems? Is the steel radioactive? Maybe it's just poorly produced and rolled resulting in heavy scaling and rust. Korean steel is no better.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              What kind of problems? Is the steel radioactive? Maybe it's just poorly produced and rolled resulting in heavy scaling and rust. Korean steel is no better.

SAN FRANCISCO Nearly four years after opening to motorists, the final structural repair work on the Bay Bridge is complete, Caltrans engineers said, but questions about subpar steel and ongoing corrosion issues remain.
                              https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/...-subpar-steel/
                              "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X