SS United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS United States

Is she worth saving or should she be scrapped for her metal?

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Depends on what utility remains in her. Could she be moored permanently as a hotel or a convention center?

If not, scrap her. People today don't care about the past, anyway, so why keep anything?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The conversion cost would be tremendous. Asbestos removal and hazardous waste clean up would run into the tens of millions alone. Scrapping is a better alternative. Maybe sinking her as an artificial reef somewhere.

Comment

Agreed. Fascinating piece of history, but it's not really feasible to save all of them. Save her bell, or wheel, or something and build an exhibit about her innovations and contributions. Then scrap her.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

They scrapped the Enterprise in 1958......
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            And are scrapping another one right now...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              The conversion cost would be tremendous. Asbestos removal and hazardous waste clean up would run into the tens of millions alone. Scrapping is a better alternative. Maybe sinking her as an artificial reef somewhere.
              Can't sink her until all of the environmental contaminates such as asbestos are out.

Comment

Different times, different politics, different eco regulations - none at all - and different society entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Different times, different politics, different eco regulations - none at all - and different society entirely.
                  I was speaking from a purely historical perspective.
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I was speaking from a purely historical perspective.
                    I fully realize that, but you might as well have mentioned the TITANIC in terms of actual relevancy.

Comment

I fully realize that, but you might as well have mentioned the TITANIC in terms of actual relevancy.
                      SS United States; Historical Luxury Line built for the United States Lines. Largest ocean liner built in the US

CV -6 USS Enterprise; Most decorated ship from WW II. Built for the US Navy, built in the US.

The Titanic was not built in the US nor was it used by the US. The historical significance that it holds is that it was sunk by an iceberg. The two US ships were not sunk.......the Titanic actually holds no relevancy to this discussion.

Comment

Can't sink her until all of the environmental contaminates such as asbestos are out.
                        I think they already stripped out all the contaminates

Comment

SS United States; Historical Luxury Line built for the United States Lines. Largest ocean liner built in the US

CV -6 USS Enterprise; Most decorated ship from WW II. Built for the US Navy, built in the US.

The Titanic was not built in the US nor was it used by the US. The historical significance that it holds is that it was sunk by an iceberg. The two US ships were not sunk.......the Titanic actually holds no relevancy to this discussion.
                          Irrelevant, period. You're the one wandering around the naval landscape tossing out examples. Back then, asbestos was the most common, specified, insulation for steam plants.

The question here is what to do with the America, and the answer is it cannot be scrapped until current eco laws are complied with.

It took years, and a lot of money, to get the Oriskany to the point where it could legally be sunk as a reef, and that was some years ago.

Meanwhile, back at the pier, the America will soon become an eco eyesore contaminating the moorage where it is anchored, and something will have to be done with it.

Personally, I would just tow it off beyond the legal limit and let it sink, like the Russians do.

Comment

Scrap it. Not worth keeping.

Who is responsible for this wreck?
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Irrelevant, period. You're the one wandering around the naval landscape tossing out examples. Back then, asbestos was the most common, specified, insulation for steam plants.
                              You're missing the whole point, your reply is irrelevant to what I am saying.

We scrapped the Enterprise, there is now reason to not scrap the liner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X