Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New California

New California Declares Independence From Rest Of State
    SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.

To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.
    “Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.

The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/...rest-of-state/

I wish them luck.

Comment

It used to be just the northern end, now its all over the state!

The people supporting this should prepare for "swatting" (this is the state where milk plants have been raided by Cops with SMGs) and seemingly random crimes and harassment being directed against them.

And there will also be a lot of States with a Me TOO! movement based on this one.
      Best of all, it is perfectly legal.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Good that sensible Californians want to cut them loose from the corpse that is the liberals there.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Op-Ed Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?
          Guess which state has the highest poverty rate in the country? Not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia, but California, where nearly one out of five residents is poor. That’s according to the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income.

Given robust job growth and the prosperity generated by several industries, it’s worth asking why California has fallen behind, especially when the state’s per-capita GDP increased approximately twice as much as the U.S. average over the five years ending in 2016 (12.5%, compared with 6.27%).

It’s not as though California policymakers have neglected to wage war on poverty. Sacramento and local governments have spent massive amounts in the cause. Several state and municipal benefit programs overlap with one another; in some cases, individuals with incomes 200% above the poverty line receive benefits. California state and local governments spent nearly $958 billion from 1992 through 2015 on public welfare programs, including cash-assistance payments, vendor payments and “other public welfare,” according to the Census Bureau. California, with 12% of the American population, is home today to about one in three of the nation’s welfare recipients.

The generous spending, then, has not only failed to decrease poverty; it actually seems to have made it worse.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, some states — principally Wisconsin, Michigan, and Virginia — initiated welfare reform, as did the federal government under President Clinton and a Republican Congress. Tied together by a common thread of strong work requirements, these overhauls were a big success: Welfare rolls plummeted and millions of former aid recipients entered the labor force.

The state and local bureaucracies that implement California’s antipoverty programs, however, resisted pro-work reforms. In fact, California recipients of state aid receive a disproportionately large share of it in no-strings-attached cash disbursements. It’s as though welfare reform passed California by, leaving a dependency trap in place. Immigrants are falling into it: 55% of immigrant families in the state get some kind of means-tested benefits, compared with just 30% of natives.

Self-interest in the social-services community may be at fault. As economist William A. Niskanen explained back in 1971, public agencies seek to maximize their budgets, through which they acquire increased power, status, comfort and security. To keep growing its budget, and hence its power, a welfare bureaucracy has an incentive to expand its “customer” base. With 883,000 full-time-equivalent state and local employees in 2014, California has an enormous bureaucracy. Many work in social services, and many would lose their jobs if the typical welfare client were to move off the welfare rolls.
          http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...114-story.html

Comment

Speaking of "shithole" locations;
            Poop map shows scale of San Francisco's human tragedy
            It's common knowledge that San Francisco has a serious homelessness problem. Estimates of the size of the city's streetbound population vary between 6,000 and 10,000, depending on the source. But that population, largely confined to a few nonresidential downtown neighborhoods, can too easily become invisible to most residents.

One thing isn't invisible, however: the problem of human poop on sidewalks. Since the city slashed funding for Parks and Recreation in 2009, there's a distinct shortage of working public bathrooms. And that led to a spike in reports of public pooping to the city's 311 help line.

http://mashable.com/2014/11/21/publi.../#eB83v8QZ6OqM

Comment

It would get worse for the coastal range as all the water and power generation in the state would be in the New California... All the coast would have is the cities full of Progressives.

Comment

California's becoming exactly the kind of basket case envisioned in an Ayn Rand novel. Everybody screams "I need, I need, I need," and before too long, they're paralyzed. My employer has an office in Southern California, and we've encountered all kinds of problems with California officialdom, a lot of it patently unreasonable. Yes, there's a lot of parties out there looking to do business, and that's good, but the regulatory environment is stifling. Just as people and companies moved to California looking to do business, if they're going to be squeezed, then they can leave just as easily as they arrived. If this trend continues, the only thing going for the Golden State will be her Pacific coastline. Apart from that, California will become known as a place to stay away from, and she'll have no one to blame but herself.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  It would get worse for the coastal range as all the water and power generation in the state would be in the New California... All the coast would have is the cities full of Progressives.
                  They'll be fine if the soylent green it up.
                  The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I plan on selling my house when my folks depart and then leaving this insane state. Try getting a permit to log redwood trees. I had a neighbor who told me that I can't harvest the trees on my land because he likes the view... I then told him to help out with the property taxes...

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Everybody who talks about how much California makes in GDP and pays in taxes. I wonder how much that is if you remove the "Entertainment" Industry and associated multi-millionaires from the equation.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        Everybody who talks about how much California makes in GDP and pays in taxes. I wonder how much that is if you remove the "Entertainment" Industry and associated multi-millionaires from the equation.
                        The "Entertainment" industry gets special tax breaks. https://www.thenation.com/article/en...horing-musici/
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

California's most productive industry is Technology, Farming and yep Hollywood (entertainment). Farming areas which is most of the state don't vote Liberal and cant stand left wingers. Unfortunetly most of the people are in cities, LA and SF do vote that way. I live here and that's a fact.

Comment

Northern California has want'ed to separate for many decades. Sooner or later they will. The North is a different world form the Southern Cali loonie bin.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It kind of reminds me of the no go zones in Europe, there is a lot of denial in the progressive areas of California.

Decaying infrastructure is the key to envisioning the future of the coastal cities in California. The hostility towards the "dirty" aspects of maintaining a modern society speaks to how progressives hate what Clinton termed the "deplorables". As a civil engineer I have experienced this first hand. Engineers not involved in the "high tech" industries are not only looked down on as second class but their is a bit of open hostility toward anyone who makes a living building roads and water projects. The elitist attitude of California's progressives is symptom of an educational system that no longer inspires a sense of the practical. By focusing on the history of racial and sexual discrimination, environmental activism, participation instead of outcome, the educational system has produced generations of individuals with no concept of how a society meets it's fundamental necessities such as food, water, energy, transportation and housing. There are now three generations of citizens that are incapable of thinking in terms of cost benefits.

The cost benefit issue is not restricted to California, it permeates society as a whole. It is the free stuff syndrome. The costs of maintaining a modern society are not just how they are financed but who is willing to take the blame for unpopular decisions. There are unpleasant realities that are necessary to calculate when doing cost benefit analysis. Almost everything we do requires some sort of monetization such as the need to place a value on human life in order to do statistical comparisons. In some ways empathy has become murderous by not allowing us to calculate cost effective alternatives. Make no mistake about it environmental regulations cost lives by diverting funds away from health and safety investments that are deemed damaging to the environment. The environmental regulation are not restricted to our relationship with nature but include what are called social impacts such as accessibility, noise, community cohesion, and poorly thought out safety improvements. Efficiency as well as merit have become concepts that the poorly trained consider repugnant.

How much of our troubles are due to Marxist ideology and postmodernism is debatable but the prevalence of these concepts among those responsible for studying societal issues is not. History certainly tells us that the slow march through the institutions is not necessary for the decay of practical values and an embracing of the welfare state but the phenomenon has certainly not been helpful. In many ways the sociologist and planners in modern society are reminiscent of the church officials who prefered dogma over the interests of the citizens. Utopia and heaven are indistinguishable in the modern post Christian psyche.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X