The World Is Reacting to Trump's Words—Not His Actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World Is Reacting to Trump's Words—Not His Actions

From the National Interest - yes boys and girls, words count!

But, on matters of substance, and particularly with respect to the U.S. global military posture, Donald Trump hasn’t changed that much.

So, why all the fuss? Because Trump is different. Words matter, and Trump’s Twitter rants and ill-considered off-hand comments have not made us, or the world, safer.

Unsurprisingly, U.S. allies in Europe and Asia have questioned, and at times openly defied, Washington’s dictates. “We’re beginning to see countries take matters into their own hands,” observes Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations. “They’re hedging against America’s unreliability.”
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...-actions-24012
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

“They’re hedging against America’s unreliability.”
    Trump's unreliability.

Seen over a period of decades the US is still pretty reliable, and the particular president of little consequence in regard to foreign policy.

But with a Trump in a decision making position, few are going to commit to anything of importance for the next 3 years or so, since there's a fairly big chance the next US president will revoke Trump policies much like Trump is overturning those of Obama.

They will not offend an old ally without cause either, so you can expect a lot of meaningless talk, but little action.

Which is actually a positive, no action is good news in foreign affairs

Also I suspect they are reacting to his personality, not his words as such, he says one thing today, something entirely different in the morning, and most of it unintelligible, few conclusions to draw from that in regard to policy.

The text of the article btw, somewhat contradicts the title.

On closer inspection, these assessments seem overwrought. President Trump has not abandoned U.S. allies in Europe and Asia. On the contrary, he allowed Montenegro’s admission to NATO to go forward, the first new member in ten years. Last month, he backed the sale of weapons to Ukraine’s government as it struggles to put down a Russia-backed insurgency. He increased the number of U.S. troops in Europe. None of these decisions advance U.S. security—arguably, they undermine it—so it is hardly consistent with what most Americans think of when they hear “America First.” What’s more, these actions provide little evidence that Donald Trump is overly solicitous of Vladimir Putin, or particularly mindful of Russia’s geopolitical insecurities.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 11 Jan 18, 08:55.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

'em.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Wait...who actually cares?
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Well since Trump is the subject of by far most of the posts made by US Americans here, I'm tempted to conclude you all do
          Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
            Wait...who actually cares?
            Show of hands... Who gives a rat's @$$ about what the world thinks?

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
              Well since Trump is the subject of by far most of the posts made by US Americans here, I'm tempted to conclude you all do
              We care about him.

You, not so much.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Trump's unreliability.

Seen over a period of decades the US is still pretty reliable, and the particular president of little consequence in regard to foreign policy.

But with a Trump in a decision making position, few are going to commit to anything of importance for the next 3 years or so, since there's a fairly big chance the next US president will revoke Trump policies much like Trump is overturning those of Obama.

They will not offend an old ally without cause either, so you can expect a lot of meaningless talk, but little action.

Which is actually a positive, no action is good news in foreign affairs

Also I suspect they are reacting to his personality, not his words as such, he says one thing today, something entirely different in the morning, and most of it unintelligible, few conclusions to draw from that in regard to policy.

The text of the article btw, somewhat contradicts the title.
                I do not see the article contradicting itself. The whole point of the article is that words, at least in the case of the Donald, speak louder than actions; I tend to agree simply because the man cannot manage to shut up or to stay away from his Twitter account.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Indeed, I am already seeing some of the true believers peeling themselves away from the koolaid pitcher.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Are you suggesting that the Donald is spending too much playing golf or doing "executive time?"

TRUMP GOLF COUNT: 88*

Cost to Taxpayer: At least $46,361,640**

*Visits to golf clubs since inauguration, with evidence of playing golf on at least 43 visits. See our FAQ for answers to frequently asked questions and our complete data table for a list of Trump's outings. You can also view our breakdown of the total costs.

**Wait a minute! Why is the cost lower now?
                      http://trumpgolfcount.com/

“Executive Time”: White House Rebrands the Hours Trump Spends on ...
                      https://www.vanityfair.com/news/.../...e-executive-ti...
                      3 days ago - After reviewing copies of the president's private schedule, Jonathan Swan of Axios reported Sunday that Trump's official day typically doesn't begin until 11 A.M. and ends relatively early, around 6 P.M., to accommodate “Executive Time.” (“Executive Time,” he explained, is allegedly time Trump spends in ...

Twitter reacts to Trump 'Executive Time' - CNN Video - CNN.com
                      Video for trump executive time▶ 2:03
                      http://www.cnn.com/videos/.../trump-...s-pkg-erin.cnn
                      3 days ago
                      Axios reports that President Donald Trump is spending an increasing amount of his time in the White House ...

Donald Trump is addicted to cable TV! Which is fine! - CNNPolitics
                      http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/08/politi...sis/index.html
                      2 days ago - Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is spending an increasing amount of his hours in the White House watching TV and tweeting, according to Axios, periods referred to on the official schedule by the delicious euphemism "Executive Time." ... And why can't it be a part of Trump's job ...

Why 'executive time' is a particularly bleak scoop about President Trump
                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../w...-bleak-scoop-a...
                      3 days ago - That chunk of his day, generally between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., is dubbed “executive time," a phrase that is bound to become the butt of plenty of jokes. Trump then has other periods of “executive time” sprinkled in throughout his official work schedule, which is usually between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Nice work if ...

'Executive time': Trump mocked for taking it easy – but so did other ...
                      https://www.theguardian.com › US News › Donald Trump
                      2 days ago - The recent report that Donald Trump spends much of his day on “executive time” – ie watching television and tweeting – has been taken as the latest indication of Trump's unusual presidency. The news, first reported by Axios, chimes with reports from the New York Times last year that Trump watched cable ...

'Executive Time'? - Huffington Post
                      https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../d..._5a54812fe4b00...
                      2 days ago - Trump's private schedule, which was obtained by Axios, showed “executive time” listed from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m., when he was “in his residence, watching TV, making phone calls and tweeting.” He also had “executive time” periods scheduled throughout each day. Axios reported that on one particular day, ...

Trump's days are now tailored around 'executive time' | Daily Mail Online
                      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tive-time.html
                      3 days ago - President Trump is spending an increasing amount of his day on social media and watching television, which his schedule has dubbed officially as 'executive time' .

Donald Trump's morning routine includes "executive time" — Quartz
                      https://qz.com/1174538/donald-trumps...xecutive-time/
                      3 days ago - The morning routines of the most powerful and accomplished people are commonly scrutinized and emulated in the hope of replicating their productivity. For those who struggle to get started in the morning, studying their schedules tends to generate shame. So it is particularly refreshing to learn that the ...

Trump gets lots of “Executive Time” in the mornings: First meeting is ...
                      https://slate.com/.../trump-gets-lot...rst-meeting-is...
                      4 days ago - President Donald Trump's work days are starting a lot later these days than they did when he first moved in to the White House, according to Axios' Jonathan Swan. The president is demanding more “Executive Time” on his schedule, “which almost always means TV and Twitter time alone in the residence.”

Comment

No, I'm suggesting he's getting a lot of stuff done you aren't hearing about that's really picking up the economy and doing what he promised.

On the other hand, his detractors are ignoring that and focused on his Twitter ramblings.

Results speak volumes while his detractors are just turning up the volume of their speech without results.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                          Are you suggesting that the Donald is spending too much playing golf or doing "executive time?"

http://trumpgolfcount.com/

You guys seem surprisingly focused on golf yet didn't mind Obama teeing off at the golf course.....

Consistency, please. It's either okay for both or wrong for both.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            No, I'm suggesting he's getting a lot of stuff done you aren't hearing about that's really picking up the economy and doing what he promised.

On the other hand, his detractors are ignoring that and focused on his Twitter ramblings.

Results speak volumes while his detractors are just turning up the volume of their speech without results.
                            Okay, let's look at that:

Recent GDP growth not quite as strong as it appears

While the U.S. GDP has grown at 3% for the past two quarters, increasing inventory and better trade have helped. Also, when viewed on a year-to-year basis, growth is 2.3%.

Job gains running at a lower rate than Obama’s

Even before the negative impact of the hurricanes, Trump’s job gains are running at a lower level than Obama’s. However, that isn’t too surprising since unemployment is so low.Job gains running at a lower rate than Obama’s

Even before the negative impact of the hurricanes, Trump’s job gains are running at a lower level than Obama’s. However, that isn’t too surprising since unemployment is so low.
                            That is from that left wing rag Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo.../#13b0a1775e85

Don't get me wrong, the market is indeed running hot and the Donald has certainly taken the credit for that. However, here are two questions:

1 - What happens when the market inevitably cools down?
                            2 - Now that that Wall Street is sitting fat in tax breaks how is that shortfall in revenue going to be made up?

By the by, when you have Rand Paul asking where the money is coming from you cannot lay that one at the feet of the liberals and the progressives.

Rand Paul: 'We don't have money to spend' for Trump's border wall
                            Rand Paul: 'We don't have money to spend' for Trump's border wall ...
                            thehill.com/.../368354-rand-paul-we-dont-have-money-to-spend-for-trumps-border-...
                            23 hours ago - I’m still a believer that we don’t have money to spend. ... A report last week detailed Trump’s plan to ask Congress for $18 billion to fund a wall along the border. ... The Trump administration is seeking $33 billion in total to increase southern border security, with the remaining ...
                            Would you care to address Rand Paul's question?

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                              From the National Interest - yes boys and girls, words count!

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...-actions-24012
                              The world has always reacted to rhetoric more than actions, so why is Trump any different? Only because the Girlie-Dems don't know what to do with him, and neither does a world that has come to expect whiny, apologetic American presidents and just had eight years of the biggest little whiner and apologizer in the Oval Office in our history, our very own closet Muslim. Guess they got complacent.

Trump is used to hardcore business deals that net millions of not billions, and rule one is to keep your opponent off balance...a verbal rope-a-dope, and it's working.

Ever notice that Putin talks after the fact, and not before? By the time other nations get around to badmouthing Putin, it's all over anyway.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X