• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    He ****ed up and the outcome was good.

Got to retire with full pay and benefits? Hell of a punishment.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    What hills?
    How would Amos know.....he never attended TBS.

The only hills I saw in the training areas were all the piles of stuff lost by the Officer Candidates. I guess their packs were too heavy to carry a full load.
    There are some hills there but the pain in the butt ones are on the OCS side....

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    What hills? The only hills I saw in the training areas were all the piles of stuff lost by the Officer Candidates. I guess their packs were too heavy to carry a full load.

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    Schuttlebutt at System Command was that he was Commandant for two reasons; to get the F-35 moving along and to break tradition of Infantry holding the spot.

An interesting side note, Amos set this policy:

“A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago – there’s no such thing as a former Marine.
    You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico.
    There’s no such thing as a former Marine.”

http://usmclife.com/2017/07/marine-always-marine/

Interesting because he never went to TBS......"the hills of Quantico"

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Within the Corps there is a bit of a different grammatical setup with reference to certain things:

I'm not an Ex-Marine, I'm a Former Marine by virtue of an Honorable Discharge. Medically Discharged Marines are also former Marines. This is denoting that I am not subject to involuntary recall to service like a reservist would be, but I remain a part of the brotherhood. Retired Marines, depending on individual taste, will answer for Retired or Former. In essence being a "Former" anything within the Corps is the dignity equivalent of retiring from something prior to what would have actually been retirement age. I'm a Former Redpatcher or Former Marine, depending on whether I'm talking to a Marine or a Civilian respectively.
    Schuttlebutt at System Command was that he was Commandant for two reasons; to get the F-35 moving along and to break tradition of Infantry holding the spot.

An interesting side note, Amos set this policy:

“A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago – there’s no such thing as a former Marine.
    You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico.
    There’s no such thing as a former Marine.”

http://usmclife.com/2017/07/marine-always-marine/

Interesting because he never went to TBS......"the hills of Quantico"

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Killing an enemy and urinating on them is not an issue. The issue is recording the activity and circulating the recording. Why Commanders let soldiers bring media phones on patrol escapes me. The Duty NCO is supposed to check all his men before leaving the base. It sounds like someone did not do their job. The First Sergeant should have had a letter of reprimand minimum placed in his jacket. So should the Officer in Charge. Feces should roll uphill as well as downhill.

Pruitt
    There is a positive side to allowing them to take media phones. They can use it to contact the rear if comms are down. They can use it to take pictures for intel purposes and multiple other activities. Company Level Intelligence Cells (CLIC) have been using the Marines data collected from their cell phones for at least 10 years now.

The Marines SNCO should have immediately forced them to dig fighting holes as a punishment.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Eh, if you get kicked out on your ass, you're and Ex.
    What if it happens more than once? Are you a dos equis?

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Eh, if you get kicked out on your ass, you're and Ex.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Within the Corps there is a bit of a different grammatical setup with reference to certain things:

I'm not an Ex-Marine, I'm a Former Marine by virtue of an Honorable Discharge. Medically Discharged Marines are also former Marines. This is denoting that I am not subject to involuntary recall to service like a reservist would be, but I remain a part of the brotherhood. Retired Marines, depending on individual taste, will answer for Retired or Former. In essence being a "Former" anything within the Corps is the dignity equivalent of retiring from something prior to what would have actually been retirement age. I'm a Former Redpatcher or Former Marine, depending on whether I'm talking to a Marine or a Civilian respectively.

Marines who get discharged dishonorably or under other than honorable conditions are Ex-Marines. Ex denoting that the Corps has divorced itself from them. It also means that they should not consider themselves allowed to use the title Marine in any reference to themselves.

Yes the Corps is in many ways a cult. Think of being "Ex" something in the Corps as being Excommunicated from that something. Being Former something in the Corps is voluntarily and honorably leaving that thing where fellow Marines would have liked to have you had you chose to continue.
    I deleted that post because there seems to be no clear grammatical rule for "ex-" vs "former."

Regarding Marines, I thought it was...

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor
    I take that back. In this case, ex-commandant is grammatically wrong.

"Former" applies to all past incumbents.

"Ex-" applies to the immediate past incumbent.

Gen. Dunford is the Ex-Commandant. Gen. Amos is a former Commandant.

Marines who get discharged dishonorably or under other than honorable conditions are Ex-Marines. Ex denoting that the Corps has divorced itself from them. It also means that they should not consider themselves allowed to use the title Marine in any reference to themselves.

Yes the Corps is in many ways a cult. Think of being "Ex" something in the Corps as being Excommunicated from that something. Being Former something in the Corps is voluntarily and honorably leaving that thing where fellow Marines would have liked to have you had you chose to continue.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Not to mention that the one doing the correcting was undoubtedly retired when the commandant in question was in the billet. Amos was a disgrace as a commandant, was despised by the Marines, and weakened and politicized the Corps. A LOT of 'wartime' Marines who were asked to reenlist chose to leave due to the culture he was developing.

It's no surprise that he was flexing muscles where he shouldn't for the purpose of furthering a political agenda of his.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    Headline or not, it is incorrect.
    When you quote something, you're supposed to quote it as written. Spelling and grammatical errors can be noted with "sic."

Poor choice of form isn't a grammatical error.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    "Ex-Marine Commandant" is the actual headline.

The body of the article says "former commandant of the Marine Corps"...
    A military appeals court has sharply rebuked the former commandant of the Marine Corps, saying now-retired Gen. James Amos committed “an unusually flagrant example” of unlawful command influence in an infamous 2011 Taliban corpse desecration case.
    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...and-influence/

Navy Times apparently uses the same format.

It might have something to do with the difference between headlines and articles.
    Headline or not, it is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Killing an enemy and urinating on them is not an issue. The issue is recording the activity and circulating the recording. Why Commanders let soldiers bring media phones on patrol escapes me. The Duty NCO is supposed to check all his men before leaving the base. It sounds like someone did not do their job. The First Sergeant should have had a letter of reprimand minimum placed in his jacket. So should the Officer in Charge. Feces should roll uphill as well as downhill.

Pruitt
    But it seldom does.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    A military appeals court has sharply rebuked the former commandant of the Marine Corps, saying now-retired Gen. James Amos committed “an unusually flagrant example” of unlawful command influence in an infamous 2011 Taliban corpse desecration case.
    Reading that suggests that unlawful command influence is rife and this case was simply a more extreme version of a common practice.

I never understood the hoopla in the first place. It's OK to kill the enemy, but pissing on the body is an atrocity?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X