Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Marine commandant guilty of unlawful command influence

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ex-Marine commandant guilty of unlawful command influence

    This is very interesting, I wonder if Mr. Dowd will do the same regarding the Trump investigation......

    John Dowd, who is representing President Trump in the Russia election interference investigation, was the attorney for Capt. James V. Clement, who was being tried at Quantico on charges of failing to supervised the snipers.

    Mr. Dowd, apprised that Gen. Amos and his staff were interfering, began demanding documents and access to the commandant as a witness.

    Suddenly, the Corps dropped the criminal case in September 2013.

    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...and-influence/

  • #2
    It should read 'Former Marine Commandant.' Shouldn't you know better?
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Massena View Post
      It should read 'Former Marine Commandant.' Shouldn't you know better?
      That was obviously a direct cut & paste from the article's title.

      Shouldn't you know better?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Massena View Post
        It should read 'Former Marine Commandant.' Shouldn't you know better?
        "Ex-Marine Commandant" is the actual headline.



        The body of the article says "former commandant of the Marine Corps"...
        A military appeals court has sharply rebuked the former commandant of the Marine Corps, saying now-retired Gen. James Amos committed “an unusually flagrant example” of unlawful command influence in an infamous 2011 Taliban corpse desecration case.
        https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...and-influence/

        Navy Times apparently uses the same format.



        It might have something to do with the difference between headlines and articles.
        Attached Files
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #5
          It could have also said "$hitty Commandant" and been correct. Amos was a joke as Commandant, and the Corps suffered for it repeatedly. I was never happier than when I got my discharge and I didn't have to serve another day working in the same organization as that man.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

          Comment


          • #6
            He ****ed up and the outcome was good.

            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

            ~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

            Comment


            • #7
              A military appeals court has sharply rebuked the former commandant of the Marine Corps, saying now-retired Gen. James Amos committed “an unusually flagrant example” of unlawful command influence in an infamous 2011 Taliban corpse desecration case.
              Reading that suggests that unlawful command influence is rife and this case was simply a more extreme version of a common practice.

              I never understood the hoopla in the first place. It's OK to kill the enemy, but pissing on the body is an atrocity?
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Killing an enemy and urinating on them is not an issue. The issue is recording the activity and circulating the recording. Why Commanders let soldiers bring media phones on patrol escapes me. The Duty NCO is supposed to check all his men before leaving the base. It sounds like someone did not do their job. The First Sergeant should have had a letter of reprimand minimum placed in his jacket. So should the Officer in Charge. Feces should roll uphill as well as downhill.

                Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  Killing an enemy and urinating on them is not an issue. The issue is recording the activity and circulating the recording. Why Commanders let soldiers bring media phones on patrol escapes me. The Duty NCO is supposed to check all his men before leaving the base. It sounds like someone did not do their job. The First Sergeant should have had a letter of reprimand minimum placed in his jacket. So should the Officer in Charge. Feces should roll uphill as well as downhill.

                  Pruitt
                  But it seldom does.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    "Ex-Marine Commandant" is the actual headline.



                    The body of the article says "former commandant of the Marine Corps"...
                    A military appeals court has sharply rebuked the former commandant of the Marine Corps, saying now-retired Gen. James Amos committed “an unusually flagrant example” of unlawful command influence in an infamous 2011 Taliban corpse desecration case.
                    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...and-influence/

                    Navy Times apparently uses the same format.



                    It might have something to do with the difference between headlines and articles.
                    Headline or not, it is incorrect.
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Massena View Post
                      Headline or not, it is incorrect.
                      When you quote something, you're supposed to quote it as written. Spelling and grammatical errors can be noted with "sic."

                      Poor choice of form isn't a grammatical error.
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not to mention that the one doing the correcting was undoubtedly retired when the commandant in question was in the billet. Amos was a disgrace as a commandant, was despised by the Marines, and weakened and politicized the Corps. A LOT of 'wartime' Marines who were asked to reenlist chose to leave due to the culture he was developing.

                        It's no surprise that he was flexing muscles where he shouldn't for the purpose of furthering a political agenda of his.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Doctor
                          I take that back. In this case, ex-commandant is grammatically wrong.

                          "Former" applies to all past incumbents.

                          "Ex-" applies to the immediate past incumbent.

                          Gen. Dunford is the Ex-Commandant. Gen. Amos is a former Commandant.
                          Within the Corps there is a bit of a different grammatical setup with reference to certain things:

                          I'm not an Ex-Marine, I'm a Former Marine by virtue of an Honorable Discharge. Medically Discharged Marines are also former Marines. This is denoting that I am not subject to involuntary recall to service like a reservist would be, but I remain a part of the brotherhood. Retired Marines, depending on individual taste, will answer for Retired or Former. In essence being a "Former" anything within the Corps is the dignity equivalent of retiring from something prior to what would have actually been retirement age. I'm a Former Redpatcher or Former Marine, depending on whether I'm talking to a Marine or a Civilian respectively.

                          Marines who get discharged dishonorably or under other than honorable conditions are Ex-Marines. Ex denoting that the Corps has divorced itself from them. It also means that they should not consider themselves allowed to use the title Marine in any reference to themselves.

                          Yes the Corps is in many ways a cult. Think of being "Ex" something in the Corps as being Excommunicated from that something. Being Former something in the Corps is voluntarily and honorably leaving that thing where fellow Marines would have liked to have you had you chose to continue.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            Within the Corps there is a bit of a different grammatical setup with reference to certain things:

                            I'm not an Ex-Marine, I'm a Former Marine by virtue of an Honorable Discharge. Medically Discharged Marines are also former Marines. This is denoting that I am not subject to involuntary recall to service like a reservist would be, but I remain a part of the brotherhood. Retired Marines, depending on individual taste, will answer for Retired or Former. In essence being a "Former" anything within the Corps is the dignity equivalent of retiring from something prior to what would have actually been retirement age. I'm a Former Redpatcher or Former Marine, depending on whether I'm talking to a Marine or a Civilian respectively.

                            Marines who get discharged dishonorably or under other than honorable conditions are Ex-Marines. Ex denoting that the Corps has divorced itself from them. It also means that they should not consider themselves allowed to use the title Marine in any reference to themselves.

                            Yes the Corps is in many ways a cult. Think of being "Ex" something in the Corps as being Excommunicated from that something. Being Former something in the Corps is voluntarily and honorably leaving that thing where fellow Marines would have liked to have you had you chose to continue.
                            I deleted that post because there seems to be no clear grammatical rule for "ex-" vs "former."

                            Regarding Marines, I thought it was...


                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Eh, if you get kicked out on your ass, you're and Ex.
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X