• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    What the hell are you babbling about?
    let see you attack me I correct you

you continue to argue and were wrong

sums it up

at no point did I reference your post about coal why you thought that without me quoting you iis beyond me

btw this stuff is in your wheel house I figured you should of known most of it already and been explaining it to the rest of us as you usually do

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
      let see you attack me I correct you

you continue to argue and were wrong

sums it up

at no point did I reference your post about coal why you thought that without me quoting you iis beyond me

btw this stuff is in your wheel house I figured you should of known most of it already and been explaining it to the rest of us as you usually do
      You have crafted one post in this thread which had even a slight resemblance to a coherent statement and it was factually wrong:
      Was not this power plant slated as a go under Obama initially but due to Earthquake in Japan got put on the back burner.

if so I can understand the dynamics of this one.
      Vogtle 3 & 4 were green-lighted in 2012, after the "Earthquake in Japan." It was "put on the back burner" due to cost overruns and construction delays. So you don't "understand the dynamics of this one;" and, if those were the dynamics, this story would make less sense than reality.

The Politifact article you linked to, but either didn't read or comprehend, clearly states this.

Rather than babbling about an earthquake and then incoherently babbling about attacks on Obama and personal attacks after your "point" was demolished, you could have just read the articles linked in the first post.
      Last edited by The Doctor; 27 Dec 17, 08:26.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Obama's problem was he simply didn't understand that without sweeping aside the mass of federal regulations standing in the way the plant wasn't going to get built. It would be regulated to death in a bureaucratic strangle of red tape.

Trump understands this and got things rolling again by removing the roadblocks.

So, while Obama was well intentioned, his amateur standing and ignorance of bureaucracy and how it works left him hobbled. Trump simply has applied a chainsaw to the red tape. I hope he keeps doing so.
        Unlike almost every other energy issue, Obama wasn't the problem here. Energy economics are the main problem, with Three Mile Island in a distant second place.

Nuclear power plants have always been expensive to build and the operators take on extensive liabilities and litigation risk. Three Mile Island and its aftermath killed the willingness of utility companies to risk their investors' money on the construction and operation of nuclear power plants in the US. While totally irrelevant, Chernobyl and Fukushima sapped public support for nuclear power even more than TMI.

Clearing up red tape and streamlining the regulatory process would help. But, ultimately, the safe construction and operation of nuclear power plants requires a very robust and stable regulatory environment.

However, the biggest problem is in having confidence that nuclear power plants can be constructed and operated in a manner which gives the investors a decent shot at making money. And that requires some level of subsidizing.

Without subsidies, no one would build anything but natural gas combined cycle power plants, because that's the only type that has a positive discounted net present value in our current electricity market. And natural gas only has a positive NPV because gas prices are low.

Nuclear power is the key to the future. Vogtle 3 & 4 are essential to demonstrating that we haven't thrown away the key.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

You have crafted one post in this thread which had even a slight resemblance to a coherent statement and it was factually wrong:

Vogtle 3 & 4 were green-lighted in 2012, after the "Earthquake in Japan." It was "put on the back burner" due to cost overruns and construction delays. So you don't "understand the dynamics of this one;" and, if those were the dynamics, this story would make less sense than reality.

The Politifact article you linked to, but either didn't read or comprehend, clearly states this.

Rather than babbling about an earthquake and then incoherently babbling about attacks on Obama and personal attacks after your "point" was demolished, you could have just read the articles linked in the first post.

um no you said Obama had nothing to do with nuke power I linked article to show you wrong

I also pointed to the earthquake probally playing a role matter of fact go check your post about the earthquake. So Doc admit you wrongfully attacked me and let it go your not always right

so your the one accusing me of say x when I did not

Fukushima sapped public support for nuclear power even more than TMI.
          taken from your post

Comment

um no you said Obama had nothing to do with nuke power I linked article to show you wrong

I also pointed to the earthquake probally playing a role matter of fact go check your post about the earthquake. So Doc admit you wrongfully attacked me and let it go your not always right

so your the one accusing me of say x when I did not

taken from your post
            Learn how to read.
            Was not this power plant slated as a go under Obama initially but due to Earthquake in Japan got put on the back burner.

No.

If those were the dynamics, it would make less sense than teality.
            well after the earthquake the political landscape changed and people were afraid of nuke power plants for awhile.

you know that 24/7 coverage of disasters usually makes it seem everything is worse than it is
            Try reading the article linked in the first post in the thread rather thsn babbling.
            Obama had nothing to do with this.
            dam your better than personal attacks and usually can take serious questioning what changed.

oh and the guy who posted those link stated I was somewhat correct in my recollection.

No.

If those were the dynamics, it would make less sense than teality.
            well after the earthquake the political landscape changed and people were afraid of nuke power plants for awhile.

you know that 24/7 coverage of disasters usually makes it seem everything is worse than it is
            Try reading the article linked in the first post in the thread rather thsn babbling.
            Obama had nothing to do with this.
            dam your better than personal attacks and usually can take serious questioning what changed.

oh and the guy who posted those link stated I was somewhat correct in my recollection.
            Rather than babbling about earthquakes, just read the fracking OP and linked articles.

From the article...
            But in a sign of how nuclear power's appeal has waned since then, no new civilian nuclear power plant has been licensed and built in America since 1978. Accidents, aging infrastructure, opposition from environmentalists and bureaucratic obstacles have dulled the technology's once-bright promise.

On Thursday that may have changed, though, when the five members of the Georgia Public Service Commission voted unanimously to approve the permitting and final construction of the Vogtle 3 and 4 reactors in Burke County.

The owner, Georgia Power, announced moments later it would complete the plant, with a tinge of reluctance. Under stipulations demanded by regulators, it must deliver rebates of $75 to each of its nearly two and a half million customers in 2018 because of cost overruns and delays.

[...]

Despite the panel's unanimous vote, commissioners had their own reservations.

For the last decade, there have been budget overruns and busted schedules, "and it is an inherently risky project," Chairman Stan Wise told reporters after the votes had been cast.

The risk stems in part from the just=passed tax bill, which did not include an extension of nuclear power tax credits that would have made construction more economically feasible. Regulators announced the go-ahead anyway based on a promise from Republican Congressional leaders.

"They assured me that it would be an item that Congress would take up early in January," Wise said.

[...]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ry-freeze.html

This has nothing to do with earthquakes or anything Obama or Trump did.
            "This" isn't nuclear power.

"This" is the decision to restart construction on the Vogtle 3 & 4 reactors.

"This" has nothing to do with earthquakes, Trump or Obama.
            Last edited by The Doctor; 27 Dec 17, 13:44.

Comment

Learn how to read.

"This" isn't nuclear power.

"This" is the decision to restart construction on the Vogtle 3 & 4 reactors.

"This" has nothing to do with earthquakes, Trump or Obama.
              um no since you specifically stated public pr turned against it after the earthquake.

so it sounds like we both need to learn how to read

and the orginal article did say it all about trump ok not all but you should know what I mean

Comment

um no since you specifically stated public pr turned against it after the earthquake.

so it sounds like we both need to learn how to read
                I just quoted the actual posts. Is that you won't read them? Or is it that you can't read them?

Rather than lying about what I posted and then babbling nonsense, quote my post and express an argument against it in something resembling English.

Do you know how to quote posts? You just click the QUOTE button at the bottom of the post.

Originally posted by craven
                and the orginal article did say it all about trump ok not all but you should know what I mean
                Learn how to read. Trump isn't even mentioned in the original article...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ry-freeze.html

And barely mentioned in the Huffington Post editorial...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b076eaaae27158
                Last edited by The Doctor; 28 Dec 17, 10:43.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Klaudia Tanner
                  by casanova
                  During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                  Yesterday, 23:56
                • Karri
                  Doom Patrol
                  by Karri
                  Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                  Yesterday, 23:55
                • Nikki
                  Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                  by Nikki
                  Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                  Yesterday, 23:03
                Working...
                X