Georgia nuclear power plant construction resumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia nuclear power plant construction resumes

After a hiatus of nearly a decade, languishing amid a hostile Obama administration, the first new nuclear power plant in the US is back on track to completion:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ry-freeze.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b076eaaae27158

The good news just keeps pouring in.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'm not so keen on nuclear power, maybe thorium, that however is a side issue. The question is why the scientific elites have not embraced extensive research into "safe" nuclear technology. I also have to wonder why they environmental leftists are not daily protesting France's nuclear program. Cognitive dissonance?
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        I'm not so keen on nuclear power, maybe thorium, that however is a side issue. The question is why the scientific elites have not embraced extensive research into "safe" nuclear technology. I also have to wonder why they environmental leftists are not daily protesting France's nuclear program. Cognitive dissonance?
        I would say that given the left's hatred for clean energy, there is little interest in research that won't be allowed to be employed.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Screw the left, they are out of power for now lets enjoy some freedom for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
            Screw the left, they are out of power for now lets enjoy some freedom for a change.

Comment

Here's to freedom
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                I'm a big fan of it. Done properly it's safe-- Far safer than coal or solar for example. Three Mile Island was a worst case scenario for US nuclear power. A partial meltdown, and the operators did everything wrong, even making the accident worse. No one died. No one was injured. No one is expected to even get cancer as a result of it. The safeguards worked. Sure the clean up and such afterwards was expensive, but when is that not the case. Look at the BP oil rig explosion...

The only reason-- Let me repeat that-- ONLY reason nuclear is on the out is the Leftist / environmentalist and MSM's fear mongering coupled with the public's general lack of knowledge of things nuclear.
                Nuclear is safe when done properly. The waste can be recycled if it was allowed to. What can't be recycled can be safely stored in long term storage like Yucca Mountain. The reason that hasn't happened is more fear mongering by idiots who can't even spell "nuclear" and think E=MC^2 is a formula for apple strudel.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  I'm a big fan of it. Done properly it's safe-- Far safer than coal or solar for example. Three Mile Island was a worst case scenario for US nuclear power. A partial meltdown, and the operators did everything wrong, even making the accident worse. No one died. No one was injured. No one is expected to even get cancer as a result of it. The safeguards worked. Sure the clean up and such afterwards was expensive, but when is that not the case. Look at the BP oil rig explosion...

The only reason-- Let me repeat that-- ONLY reason nuclear is on the out is the Leftist / environmentalist and MSM's fear mongering coupled with the public's general lack of knowledge of things nuclear.
                  Nuclear is safe when done properly. The waste can be recycled if it was allowed to. What can't be recycled can be safely stored in long term storage like Yucca Mountain. The reason that hasn't happened is more fear mongering by idiots who can't even spell "nuclear" and think E=MC^2 is a formula for apple strudel.
                  I agree. Modern nuclear planets are a true 'clean energy' system. They should have killed ever coal-fired plant in the USA by now.

But instead, the lefties have waged a highly successful campaign of killing nuclear power. As you noted, Three Mile hurt no one, and modern plants have much safer systems.

As just another example, the for decades USN has operated a number of mobile plants (seaborne) without ever losing control.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    As just another example, the for decades USN has operated a number of mobile plants (seaborne) without ever losing control.
                    That you know of... Being a Navy nuke I can tell some tales, some of which you probably don't want to know about...

Comment

That you know of... Being a Navy nuke I can tell some tales, some of which you probably don't want to know about...
                      When I was in the Regular Army we occasionally provided convoy security for nukes.

They never told us what we were guarding, but our best guess was artillery rounds because the containers were the size and shape of the cases used for tank engines. We never knew if we were guarding a real nuke or just a case of the same weight.

Except once. We got to the destination and were unloading the guns and waiting to be relieved when a bunch of nuke people can running over and dragged the case out of the box truck and opened it up right in front of everyone.

Frank E, the somewhat literal-minded A-gunner on my gun jeep noted that nukes looked a lot like a big engine...

The case containing the actual nuclear payload was located strapped to a flatbed trailer in a motor pool, mistaken for a replacement tank engine that was expected...

Stuff happens.

Comment

When I was on the Enterprise and they loaded nukes you could punch in the 30 MC and listen in on the loading in DC Central. You knew how many real ones were on board when you did...

Comment

40 years ago I did a cost comparison between coal and nuclear. Turned out coal was cheaper. That of course did not include environmental cost.

People I trust tell me that the lack of research over the following years on new designs that could have reduced not only costs but waste is criminal.

Like everything else the devil is in the details. On a purely selfish note I would rather live next to nuclear plant than a wind farm.

In any case the elites failure to invest in infrastructure of all kinds is what I find criminal. If you live on the coasts and have a good paying job that doesn't require infrastructure, have little reason to care about energy costs because it is a small item in the household budget, then you are unlikely to care about foundational social issues.

Most of the people that have done well over the last decades are totally expendable. The real value of tech is highly debatable. For ever job tech has made unnecessary it has created the need for a tech expert. That is not to say that tech does not have quality of life benefits but rather the practical benefits are often exaggerated. The most important contributor to quality of life is cheap energy anyway.

Most of the financial sector jobs and in education not to mention bureaucrats are parasitic. Success has made us blind to the true value of things. This blindness contributes to many social ills. When radical ideas go unpunished by reality for extended periods of time the narcissistic will come to dominate the political landscape.
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

The sad thing is, if we had lots of big nuke plants we'd have dirt cheap energy and could move to using hydrogen as a portable fuel in vehicles running on fuel cells. That would solve the whole "carbon - Gorebal Warming" issue for the US.
                            Yet, the Left and environmental nutters won't accept that in the nth degree because it means using nuclear power (OMG!).

Comment

The sad thing is, if we had lots of big nuke plants we'd have dirt cheap energy and could move to using hydrogen as a portable fuel in vehicles running on fuel cells. That would solve the whole "carbon - Gorebal Warming" issue for the US.
                              Yet, the Left and environmental nutters won't accept that in the nth degree because it means using nuclear power (OMG!).
                              Well our intellectuals have decided that you are an idiot because you don't have a PHD, your conservative leanings are racist which makes you unfit for polite company, you are a misogynist because you don't believe that gender is a social construct so you should lose suffrage, in general your opinions are beneath contempt because you are deplorable.

That said I have long held the same idea of nuclear to hydrogen to take advantage of existing infrastructure.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X