Commissioner Suggests U.N. Send Troops To Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioner Suggests U.N. Send Troops To Fight

I wonder how he came up with this idea....

Some politicians in the past have recommended deploying the National Guard to help Chicago quell gun violence, but Cook County Commissioner Richard Boykin went even further on Thursday, suggesting the United Nations perhaps send in peacekeepers in the face of what he called a “quiet genocide.”

Boykin was traveling to New York to meet with Oscar Fernandez-Taranco of Argentina, the U.N. Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Support, to seek international help with “horrific levels of shootings” and other violent crime in West Side and South Side communities.

“I’m hoping to appeal to the U.N. to actually come to Chicago and meet with victims of violence, and maybe even possibly help out in terms of peacekeeping efforts, because I think it’s so critical for us to make sure that these neighborhoods are safe,” Boykin said at O’Hare International Airport on Thursday.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/12/...-gun-violence/
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Wonder why the Cook Co commissioner would appeal to the UN, when there's no legal mechanism for communications on the subject of "peacekeeping" operations between Cook Co and the UN -- but there does exist a long-standing legal mechanism for the State of Illinois to request military assistance from the US Government. Come to think of it, I'm sure that Cook Co can request military assistance form the State of Illinois. In other words, the Cook Co commissioner is simply grandstanding. As far too many of his species are, this politician is also a camera wh*re.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      ...Wonder why the Cook Co commissioner would appeal to the UN...
      Grandstanding for the media.

Comment

That would last until the bodies of the UN peacekeepers started stacking up...

Comment

There would be blue Kevlar showing up in pawn shops all the way to Nebraska.

Standing more officers on street corners does not reduce crime; at best it moves it to different corners.

Every police planner has learned the hard way that saturation tactics only work in the saturated neighborhood, and all it does is move the crime to unsaturated areas.

You want to actually reduce crime, repair the education system, create sustainable private sector jobs, and restore hope and confidence.

And then wait a few years, because real change, lasting change, takes time.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Just how are UN Troops supposed to stop the locals from shooting each other? Will they be given ammo for their weapons?

We already have the Irish trying to keep order and they are not doing well. (Check out the Chicago PD)

The Arkansas 39th Inf Bde was sent into New Orleans after Katrina. The locals were shooting at them until the Arkies shot back! I bet there are lots of Illinois Guard units from down state that would love to shoot some of these locals.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The Cook County Commissioner is out of his mind. Further, he has no authority, under the Constitution, to ask for foreign military assistance.

This guy is an idiot.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                The Cook County Commissioner is out of his mind. Further, he has no authority, under the Constitution, to ask for foreign military assistance.

This guy is an idiot.
                An elected idiot and we've no shortage of those these past few decades ...
                TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Didn't these same knuckleheads say "no thanks" to the Illinois National Guard a couple of weeks ago?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Didn't these same knuckleheads say "no thanks" to the Illinois National Guard a couple of weeks ago?
                    IIRC, it was because the Guard wasn't willing to employ lethal force, just pair up Guardsmen with CPD officers as helpers.

That's a program with not much utility, really.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Wonder why the Cook Co commissioner would appeal to the UN, when there's no legal mechanism for communications on the subject of "peacekeeping" operations between Cook Co and the UN -- but there does exist a long-standing legal mechanism for the State of Illinois to request military assistance from the US Government. Come to think of it, I'm sure that Cook Co can request military assistance form the State of Illinois. In other words, the Cook Co commissioner is simply grandstanding. As far too many of his species are, this politician is also a camera wh*re.
                      The idiot has probably watched too many re-runs of the Blues Brothers.

"It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                      "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                      — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        IIRC, it was because the Guard wasn't willing to employ lethal force, just pair up Guardsmen with CPD officers as helpers.

That's a program with not much utility, really.
                        If Cook County or the City of Chicago declared a "State of Emergency" or a "State of Insurrection," how would the State of Illinois respond? I know how the Federal Government responds to states' declarations of emergency/insurrection, but what's a state's legal obligations when a county or a city issue such declarations?

Comment

If Cook County or the City of Chicago declared a "State of Emergency" or a "State of Insurrection," how would the State of Illinois respond? I know how the Federal Government responds to states' declarations of emergency/insurrection, but what's a state's legal obligations when a county or a city issue such declarations?
                          Wouldn’t the Governor call out the national guard? I’m not sure of their legal obligation to, but it would be bizarre if they didn’t.

Having said that, Chicago doesn’t need para-military or peace keeping forces. It needs an effective police department. Decades of mismanagement and poor policy choices by the city’s politicians have created this mess. Only they can clean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Work_permit View Post
                            Wouldn’t the Governor call out the national guard? I’m not sure of their legal obligation to, but it would be bizarre if they didn’t.
                            I couldn't agree more -- but then again, stranger things have happened.

Originally posted by Work_permit View Post
                            Having said that, Chicago doesn’t need para-military or peace keeping forces. It needs an effective police department. Decades of mismanagement and poor policy choices by the city’s politicians have created this mess. Only they can clean it.
                            Chicago's political class and her police dept are certainly high in the running for worst in the country, no doubt about it, but they're not the cause of Chicago's present troubles, merely another symptom. The cause is the very thing that's made Chicago an attractive location for nearly three centuries: Chicago lies at the intersection of the great north-south water routes and the great east-west land routes that span the whole of the Continental US. Narcotics, though illegal, are as much a bulk good as grain or coal or Chinese manufactured shoes, and hence are transported much the same way. The drug gangs are in the midst of a turf war, and they're fighting for arguably the most valuable real estate in the country, at least with respect to their trade. As long as there remains demand for their product, the gangs will continue to fight over trade routes. That being the case, CPD cannot, unilaterally, take on the gangs and win. Either the demand for illegal drugs will be eradicated, or a far heavier approach will be needed to render Chicago livable. As things stand now, however, Chicago is on its way to becoming Mexico.

Comment

Maybe they could trot out precedent and cite the 1894 general strike in Chicago...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X