No announcement yet.

The Language Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A number of years ago, due to a ruling out of Ohio, we had to drop the term 'rape' from all police reports, to include changing the rape exam to the SANE process because the judge ruled (or upheld a ruling, I don't recall now) that the use of the term 'rape' suggested an assumption of guilt.

We now refer to it as the R-word, and it has joined the Q-word and the P-word in the forbidden lexicon.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

We do actually have language police here in quebec.
      see the office of the french language or
      http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/accueil.aspx
      or for those of you that do not speak french
      Quebec citizens who believe their right as consumers "to be informed and served in French"[12] is not being respected can file a complaint to the OQLF which is responsible for processing these complaints. As per Section 168 of the Charter, the complaint must be written and contain the identity of the complainant.[13] The Office does however ensure privacy of information as per the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information. The OQLF does not have the power to send an agent unless it has received a complaint or a vote by the members of the OQLF.

what this means is that you must( if you are a business) greet your customers in french first , or be open to fines or more
      Last edited by bill shack; 16 Dec 17, 14:44. Reason: not finished

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
        -----------------
        I suggest you re-read what I wrote in which nowhere do I support President Trumps "Political Correctness" in fact if you had bothered to read all 3 sentences I wrote you would have read, Sad to see the right adopt this stupidity. Does the term Reading Comprehension ring a bell? Hmmm
        Now go hide and pretend you haven't seen this rebuttal.
        It's easy to misconstrue deflection as support.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutger View Post
          I can't wait for the usual replies from the usual people.
          Why? Is the subject beyond your own ability to formulate a response? Everyone should have an opinion about freedom of speech.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            A number of years ago, due to a ruling out of Ohio, we had to drop the term 'rape' from all police reports, to include changing the rape exam to the SANE process because the judge ruled (or upheld a ruling, I don't recall now) that the use of the term 'rape' suggested an assumption of guilt.

We now refer to it as the R-word, and it has joined the Q-word and the P-word in the forbidden lexicon.
            Then that judge will have to remove the word "defendant" from all court documents, as it clearly implies an unproven criminal act.

Hard to imagine, but some of these wingnuts think waaay too much.

Comment

Here is the CDC's statement:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...cid=spartandhp
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                Let's be precise, that's not the CDC's statement, but an article that uses some of the CDC's statement that also quoted Sebelius. I haven't bothered to look, but I'm sure you could find the CDC's actual press release on their website.

I don't like fed .gov overreach in any form, but there is no issue with directing a federal agency to comply with policy-that's just the way things work. There's no general prohibition that I can see, only in use of certain words when representing the agency. If the bureaucratic class wasn't politicized and slow rolling the policy objectives of their political bosses, it wouldn't be an issue. Too bad we can't fire these alleged civil "servants" who use their positions for political gain. But we've accepted that for far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
                  Let's be precise, that's not the CDC's statement, but an article that uses some of the CDC's statement that also quoted Sebelius. I haven't bothered to look, but I'm sure you could find the CDC's actual press release on their website.

I don't like fed .gov overreach in any form, but there is no issue with directing a federal agency to comply with policy-that's just the way things work. There's no general prohibition that I can see, only in use of certain words when representing the agency. If the bureaucratic class wasn't politicized and slow rolling the policy objectives of their political bosses, it wouldn't be an issue. Too bad we can't fire these alleged civil "servants" who use their positions for political gain. But we've accepted that for far too long.
                  Actually it is because they have a really strong union.

A more interesting question would be how many major commercial entities have policies which dictate who can say what in which public forum.

It would be interesting to see what administration did not set formal guidelines on what can and cannot be said in public forums. I know the US Army had such guidelines in the 1980s.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    From your link:

The seven words that sparked outrage are "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based and "science-based." CBS News has learned that budget analysts at the CDC were told to consider avoiding those words in order to get the broadest congressional support for funding. That advice came from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald quickly refuted reports that the CDC was banned from using those terms, tweeting out, "I assure you there are no banned words."

Okay...so there are no banned words, they were told to consider avoiding those words for funding.... The Snowflakes are melting for no reason.

So how to make this into something that it is not:

But Kathleen Sebelius, who was head of HHS from 2009 to 2014, has her doubts.

"I don't know how you talk about maternal and child health without using the word 'fetus,'" Sebelius said.

So now she is claiming that 'fetus' is directly related to a mother and child....don't the pro-abortion people claim that the 'fetus' is not human?

Typical TDS........
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Oh yeah?

Please watch this:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                        We do actually have language police here in quebec.
                        see the office of the french language or
                        http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/accueil.aspx
                        or for those of you that do not speak french
                        Quebec citizens who believe their right as consumers "to be informed and served in French"[12] is not being respected can file a complaint to the OQLF which is responsible for processing these complaints. As per Section 168 of the Charter, the complaint must be written and contain the identity of the complainant.[13] The Office does however ensure privacy of information as per the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information. The OQLF does not have the power to send an agent unless it has received a complaint or a vote by the members of the OQLF.
                        So, what happens when the OQLF has to send an agent? Does he take away your cell phone? Your right to speak in public? Your degree in Comparative Anthropology? Does he whack your pee-pee? or what?
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Yep, ...

... "rape' went the way of "sexual assault with bodily harm (or level 2)" or "aggravated sexual assault (or level 3)" depending on severity, many years ago. To stretch PC some more, we lost the use of "Police Force"; too threatening; "Police Department"; too bureaucratic; welcome to "Police Service"!
                          "I am Groot"
                          - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                            ... "rape' went the way of "sexual assault with bodily harm (or level 2)" or "aggravated sexual assault (or level 3)" depending on severity, many years ago. To stretch PC some more, we lost the use of "Police Force"; too threatening; "Police Department"; too bureaucratic; welcome to "Police Service"!
                            We aren't there yet, but give us time...

Our SWAT team transitioned to a Tactical Team to an Entry Team to a Warrant Service Team.

Same gear, same training, same mission.

When I was running it I wrote a memo suggested that it be re-titled the Fluffy Bunny Squad and rabbit ears be added to the helmets.

The Chief did not take it well at all; thank goodness for Chapter 124.

Comment

Actually it is because they have a really strong union.

A more interesting question would be how many major commercial entities have policies which dictate who can say what in which public forum.

It would be interesting to see what administration did not set formal guidelines on what can and cannot be said in public forums. I know the US Army had such guidelines in the 1980s.
                              They still do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X