Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flynn's Lawyers notify president’s legal team they will no longer work with them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flynn's Lawyers notify president’s legal team they will no longer work with them

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/u...T.nav=top-news

Lawyers for Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, notified the president’s legal team in recent days that they could no longer discuss the special counsel’s investigation, according to four people involved in the case — an indication that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with prosecutors or negotiating a deal.

Mr. Flynn’s lawyers had been sharing information with Mr. Trump’s lawyers about the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is examining whether anyone around Mr. Trump was involved in Russian efforts to undermine Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

That agreement has been terminated, the four people said. Defense lawyers frequently share information during investigations, but they must stop when doing so would pose a conflict of interest. It is unethical for lawyers to work together when one client is cooperating with prosecutors and another is still under investigation.
    Flynn's lawyers have either made a deal or in the process of trying to work out a deal with Mr Mueller's prosecutor team. Those who know Mr Mueller say that he's not going to cut a deal unless the person can bring in someone more important than they are......

The caveat.

The notification alone does not prove that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with Mr. Mueller. Some lawyers withdraw from information-sharing arrangements as soon as they begin negotiating with prosecutors. And such negotiations sometimes fall apart.
    The leverage is Flynn's son:

Mr. Flynn is regarded as loyal to Mr. Trump, but he has in recent weeks expressed serious concerns to friends that prosecutors will bring charges against his son, Michael Flynn Jr., who served as his father’s chief of staff and was a part of several financial deals involving the elder Mr. Flynn that Mr. Mueller is scrutinizing.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

So the lawyer is a coward who puts his personal interests before his oath and his obligation to his client. Nothing new in that - that's par for the majority of lawyers.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      So the lawyer is a coward who puts his personal interests before his oath and his obligation to his client. Nothing new in that - that's par for the majority of lawyers.
      No, that is not what the article stated at all. Not even close.

Try again.
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Flynn Jnr is yet another example of a person who no competent administration would touch with a very long barge pole. One or more of those people are going cause serious headaches.
        Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I would go so far as stating that Flynn Sr is guilty of sedition against the United States.

He is also a liar, which is why he was fired in the first place as NSA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            I would go so far as stating that Flynn Sr is guilty of sedition against the United States.

He is also a liar, which is why he was fired in the first place as NSA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
            Cant wait for you guys to completely get so unglued you'll be spitting on yourselves and keyboard while you type, when he gets pardoned....

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              Flynn Jnr is yet another example of a person who no competent administration would touch with a very long barge pole. One or more of those people are going cause serious headaches.
              Well said. If Trump and his team are guilty are of anything, it is extremely poor judgement in choosing subordinates and surrogates, particularly in such a sensitive area. I think its safe to assume his advisors failed him, and compromised the Presidency. A lot of people have already resigned.

If I were advising the President, I would tell him to fire Kushner. He should do so while issuing a sincere apology for "perhaps" exposing the GOP to Russia's attempt to meddle in our election. He has told Putin he believes American intelligence and will back Congress. This is apart from statements already made which were poor and bumbling.

I say this because I think there is still time for President Trump to save his presidency. He risks 2018, he might not have another opportunity to apologize before resignation becomes serious. Nixon didn't apologize for Watergate and stop the coverup soon enough. Reagan did with Iran Contra. Clinton took a calculated risks based on an understanding of the American public. Trump could do the same, but I'm not that much of a risk taker.
              "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
                Cant wait for you guys to completely get so unglued you'll be spitting on yourselves and keyboard while you type, when he gets pardoned....
                Oh, now that would be the best possible thing that he could do. Please oh please oh please pardon him. Talk about a diaster for 2018.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh View Post
                  Well said. If Trump and his team are guilty are of anything, it is extremely poor judgement in choosing subordinates and surrogates, particularly in such a sensitive area. I think its safe to assume his advisors failed him, and compromised the Presidency. A lot of people have already resigned.
                  I'd argue that they are guilty of a fair bit more, but that is a discussion for elsewhere. One of Trump's many problems is that he takes a very micro-managerial to appointing people, as evidenced by the time it took for him to merely pick candidates for roles when he became POTUS. He can't deflect responsibility for those choices to anyone else.

New Administrations always have a 'shaking out' period, but this one has been spectacular. Many of those people simply should never have been chosen - Bannon, the Flynns, Gorka, 'the Mooch' & a few more who have either gone or are still there.

If I were advising the President, I would tell him to fire Kushner. He should do so while issuing a sincere apology for "perhaps" exposing the GOP to Russia's attempt to meddle in our election. He has told Putin he believes American intelligence and will back Congress. This is apart from statements already made which were poor and bumbling.
                  I suspect that quite a few people will get thrown under the bus before this is all over.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Getting a pardon would completely undermine his presidency Darth, I think you mean something else when you use that word.......

Comment

To be pardoned means that there has to be charges and a conviction.

Also, the presidential pardon is a double-edged sword-anyone pardoned can no longer take the 5th when under oath and has to testify.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                        To be pardoned means that there has to be charges and a conviction.

Also, the presidential pardon is a double-edged sword-anyone pardoned can no longer take the 5th when under oath and has to testify.
                        Wrong as usual...

In 1866, the Supreme Court ruled in Ex parte Garland that the pardon power "extends to every offence known to the law, and may be exercised at any time after its commission, either before legal proceedings are taken, or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment." (In that case, a former Confederate senator successfully petitioned the court to uphold a pardon that prevented him from being disbarred.) Generally speaking, once an act has been committed, the president can issue a pardon at any time—regardless of whether charges have even been filed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
                          Getting a pardon would completely undermine his presidency Darth, I think you mean something else when you use that word.......
                          I agree with you...But he made it to the mountain top and I don't think he cares..I don't believe he will run for a second term...This is "Harder" than he thought it would be..

Comment

A common denominator of Flynn, Trump etc. is precisely this reliance of family, friends and assorted cronies — people expected to be primarily loyal, with competence at best a rather secondary consideration.

As such Flynn IS highly susceptible to a prosecutor leveraging the situation to force him to make an otherwise impossible choice. Part of the problem is that these people can't actually hire competent professionals, since they don't see the need for that, to the point of showing all signs of not actually be able to discern what that entails (viz Jared's bizarre remit of crucial tasks).

Trump is potentially wide-open over his children, and through Ivanka Jared as well. There is no way Trump can hire competent professionals to compensate for what family is bringing him in this context. He can't throw them under the bus either. I actually credit him with enough humanity to go down with them.

Comment

I agree with you...But he made it to the mountain top and I don't think he cares..I don't believe he will run for a second term...This is "Harder" than he thought it would be..
                              Also immaterial, it's what a Pardon to silence a potential witness would do during the 2018 election if the GOP sat around and watched it happen that matters most.

A President Trump sitting in the Oval Office with a either split congress or a Dem controlled one is just a guy with bad orange hair sitting in a chair....
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X