Menendez issues threats after mistrial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menendez issues threats after mistrial

Accused sex-offender, sitting Senator Menendez, walked after a mis-trial was declared.
    He wasn't found not-guilty.
    He wasn't acquitted.
    Just a mistrial, like Bill Cosby.

He started off by threatening people;
    "To those who were digging my political grave so that they could jump into my seat, I know who you are and I won't forget you," the Democrat said at a press conference.
    he seems to have beaten the rap by playing the race-card, and playing it hard-

During his remarks to reporters, Menendez thanked supporters and appeared to suggest the trial was motivated by his ethnicity.

"Certain elements of the FBI and of our state cannot understand or even worse accept that a Latino kid from Union City can grow up to be a United States senator and be honest," he said.
    What a class-act, eh?

It's not immediately clear if the Justice Department will seek to put Menendez on trial again. During the trial, a defense attorney for Melgen claimed the trial was an attack on all Hispanics.

The case against Menendez and Melgen began with federal prosecutors probing a 2012 report that the pair visited prostitutes, some of them underage, in the Dominican Republic.

The prostitution claims were never proven, but investigators said they uncovered apparent bribery in the course of their probe. The men were indicted by a grand jury in 2015 on charges including bribery, fraud and making false statements.
    After initial reporting and before he was indicted, Menendez repaid Melgen nearly $70,000 for three unreported flights aboard Melgen's plane.

Prosecutors uncovered other flights, in addition to numerous vacations taken by Menendez at Melgen's Caribbean villa in the Dominican Republic and on his dime at a hotel room in Paris, along with legal defense and campaign donations.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/se...rticle/2640943
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Always play the race card - it works every time. That's why I'm glad to be white and now officially a minority in most of America.

My turn, now.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Last I heard, Justice Dept still has not announced whether they'll retry him or not.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Last I heard, Justice Dept still has not announced whether they'll retry him or not.
        If he comes out making threats , I don't see how they could avoid it without appearing to be 100% corrupt and beyond any hope of redemption, forever.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          Accused sex-offender, sitting Senator Menendez, walked after a mis-trial was declared.
          He wasn't found not-guilty.
          He wasn't acquitted.
          Just a mistrial, like Bill Cosby.

He started off by threatening people;

he seems to have beaten the rap by playing the race-card, and playing it hard-

What a class-act, eh?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/se...rticle/2640943
          Did you forget that in our system you go in as NOT Guilty? The individual is never guilty unless the State proves its case. Seems like you are thinking that is not how it is....
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

He is a Democrat and a Leftist, so what's new here...?

Comment

Gee the post were different here when he was charged.... of course Mr Obama was President then so things were different.......
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

If he comes out making threats , I don't see how they could avoid it without appearing to be 100% corrupt and beyond any hope of redemption, forever.
                As much as it pains me to speak on behalf of a Democrat...

I expect that he was rather pissed at being run through the wringer.

He made no threats in a legal sense. I don't think anyone thought he would forgive and forget.

They did not charge him with any sex offense whatsoever.

Given that his trial cost the taxpayers close to $500k, there are plenty of reasons not to try again; it all depends upon the reasons for the mistrial.

But they had better be sure before they try him again, because a second failed try will make him utterly bulletproof for years to come.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  They did not charge him with any sex offense whatsoever.
                  Well of course not!
                  Nailing child sex-slaves in a foreign country is perfectly acceptable... apparently its also legal in the Dominican Republic.
                  It wasn't about that anyway, it was about the cover-up, bribery and abuse of power.

.... maybe all that is legal too, now.
                  Given that his trial cost the taxpayers close to $500k, there are plenty of reasons not to try again; it all depends upon the reasons for the mistrial.
                  Right, because if it costs too much we just can't control the kind of corruption that has made Billions of dollars vanish in recent years.

Maybe the Dems are right.
                  Maybe America's best days are gone forever, and we should just accept the idea that everything has to suck from now on...
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Well of course not!
                    Nailing child sex-slaves in a foreign country is perfectly acceptable... apparently its also legal in the Dominican Republic.
                    It wasn't about that anyway, it was about the cover-up, bribery and abuse of power.

.... maybe all that is legal too, now.
                    Actually, your own article indicated that they were unable to find any evidence of sexual misconduct or criminal behavior.

Rumors don't equal evidence. Guilt must be proven.

Right, because if it costs too much we just can't control the kind of corruption that has made Billions of dollars vanish in recent years.
                    Except that this case isn't about billions of dollars going missing, it is about small amounts of money.

And keep in mind that the Federal dockets, like everyone else, are vastly over-full; while they're trying this guy for a weak bribery case someone else is getting a sweet plea bargain because there is no docket time.

Maybe the Dems are right.
                    Maybe America's best days are gone forever, and we should just accept the idea that everything has to suck from now on...
                    Given that this is a history forum, you might want to check a few old scandals, going back to day one. There hasn't been an era in the US whee Congress didn't have something hinky going on. In 1946 they convicted a member of Congress whose sweetheart deals with companies producing mortar ammunition resulted in scores of US Servicemen killed and wounded during WW2. He served a few months. WW1, the Spanish-American War, and the ACW were plagued with sub-standard supplies because of contract swindles.

It pains me to defend a Democrat, but the simple fact is that you can't just throw people into prison because of rumors.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                      Did you forget that in our system you go in as NOT Guilty? The individual is never guilty unless the State proves its case. Seems like you are thinking that is not how it is....
                      Actually, you are only presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. That's quite different from "not guilty" verdict. Innocence simply means you are entitled to defend yourself and the burden is on the State to prove your guilt. Presumption of innocence doesn't mean one isn't guilty of any crime. An acquittal means in the eyes of the court, you have been found not culpable for a crime in which you are charged with.

Try to learn the difference, kid. I know it's hard to learn as most liberals tend to be uneducated. I feel bad for you, kid.
                      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Actually, your own article indicated that they were unable to find any evidence of sexual misconduct or criminal behavior.

Rumors don't equal evidence. Guilt must be proven.

Except that this case isn't about billions of dollars going missing, it is about small amounts of money.

And keep in mind that the Federal dockets, like everyone else, are vastly over-full; while they're trying this guy for a weak bribery case someone else is getting a sweet plea bargain because there is no docket time.

Given that this is a history forum, you might want to check a few old scandals, going back to day one. There hasn't been an era in the US whee Congress didn't have something hinky going on. In 1946 they convicted a member of Congress whose sweetheart deals with companies producing mortar ammunition resulted in scores of US Servicemen killed and wounded during WW2. He served a few months. WW1, the Spanish-American War, and the ACW were plagued with sub-standard supplies because of contract swindles.

It pains me to defend a Democrat, but the simple fact is that you can't just throw people into prison because of rumors.
                        I'll second Rimmer here. I share his misgivings. The left loves to rush to judgement over conservatives and shield their own but we shouldn't follow that example. Legal philosophy is explicitly clear. Innocent until proven guilty means innocent until proven guilty.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X