45 Teachers resign due to violence in Philly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Teachers resign due to violence in Philly

Its going to be even more violent I would imagine when the little imps get older. Might even give Chicago a run for its violent title.
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...dent-violence/

Can't blame the teachers - the LEO's are useless.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      Its going to be even more violent I would imagine when the little imps get older. Might even give Chicago a run for its violent title.
      http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...dent-violence/
      You stole my topic. But it is a good one.
      "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
        You stole my topic. But it is a good one.
        -----------------
        You got the next topic then!

Comment

I taught a year at a Black inner city high school. The year after I left, a man came out of retirement and took a job there. He told one class that the tie he was wearing was special as his wife had gave it to him and she had just passed away. During this class, several students went to his desk and one asked about the worksheet he had given out. The other students whipped out a roll of duct tape and taped him into his chair. They used the tie to bind his feet. The man was left like this for several hours and was calling for help. Finally someone in the Front Office came and removed the tape. The school had a Deputy Sheriff patrolling the halls telling kids to go to class, but did not notice the hog tied teacher. He did not go back.

Students in this school were always polite to me and I was always called "Sir". They did it with all the teachers. No students reached High School without learning how to "Play the Game". All the students there grew up and are probably parents by now. I had a few come talk to me years later saying how they wish they had tried harder or one who said his kids were as bad as he was (Preacher's Son?). Too many students were there because if they dropped out their Mothers ADC and Food Stamps would have been cut. I had at least two tell me they were there only to sell drugs.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Last month the Philadelphia school district decided to use meditation to calm the kids. It appears the meditation didn't work out. It's called Transcendental Meditation.
            "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

OMMMMM?

Pruitt

Comment

The school cannot be tasked with the full load of education, socialization, and behavioral basics.

And the stupid 'no kid left behind' means a handful of disturbed kids can derail the education of scores of fairly normal kids.

There are few teachers emotionally and professionally equipped for what goes on in the inner city schools. And even fewer school administrators.

This is the Great Divide in the USA: the wealthy send their kids to private schools, where the cream of the teacher crop go. Middle class parents buy homes in districts with good schools, where their kids are served by the best in the public school system (which are good as teachers anywhere, and better than most).

And poor kids get the new, the troubled, and a handful of idealistic teachers.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The inner city minority schools get the teachers starting out without tenure. There are also a number of older teachers with tenure. What is missing are the teachers that are in between teachers with tenure. As soon as they get tenure they transfer out to the better behaved schools so they can get a start on building a retirement.

One problem I saw is the new teachers were teaching younger students in classes they had to pass to graduate. Some of the saddest students in my classes were the ones that misbehaved for most of the semester/year and realized I was NOT going to pass them. I had 12 special ed students mainstreamed into my classes. Ten of them passed including one that was functioning at a fourth grade level. I told her Mother not to even bother bringing her in for the semester final as she had enough points to pass. The Special Ed teachers and aides made sure they sent in enough extra credit work to pass. A good 30% of my "Normals" did no extra credit work and failed.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Can't blame the teachers - the LEO's are useless.
                    Along with their hands being tied by no backing by the school administration, no discipline allowed, and lawyers that will blame the teachers for anything that happens to "little Jonnie or Susie."

The problem is not just Philly, all big city schools are now facing the same issue of teachers leaving the profession either through retirement, being sued, or quitting for their own safety and sanity.

In fact,one is starting to see advertising encouraging collage aged people to take up a career in teaching.

No thanks, I got out of that thankless job long before Pink Floyd's "The Wall" became a popular song.
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

From the OP article, quote:

"Still, Superintendent Sybil Knight-Burney says the district understands that there is a “different type of support that is needed.”

As someone who retired from public education allow me to translate the Superintendent's phrase. It literally means screw the teachers.

If anyone were to compile statistics concerning those students committing the violence in schools, they would find the majority share at least one characteristic. That one fact alone will, because it already has, paralyze the response to this problem and lead the district administrators to hold accountable the only group they can safely hold accountable, the teachers.

Within the hierarchy of the public school system it is true, administration is afraid of the parents, teachers are afraid of administration, parents are afraid of the children, and the children aren't afraid of anyone.

Rimmer is correct, teachers should not be tasked with the full load of education, socialization, and behavioral basics. But they are. One major design flaw of that structure is teachers lack the one weapon they should be armed with if society at large actually expects them to be successful teachers, the ability to cull the dead-wood.

Some children want to be left behind. For the sake of those who desire an education the solution to this problem is easy. Open the front doors and let the idiot reprobates walk out.

Comment

There is a way. For every teacher that leaves the inner cities, a lawyer or sociologist will have to take their place.

Comment

To put this in perspective, not all Special Ed students are Severe or Profoundly handicapped. My daughter was always the best functioning in her class. Still the Teacher and thereby the School Board refused to teach her higher concepts. Each year I told them she needed more difficult lessons and they refused. The Teacher was doing Group Learning and all students were given the same tasks. Each year at the IEP I asked for reading lessons and they would tell me she was incapable of reading. I finally had enough and I did a lesson to the IEP committee.

I brought two cans of Tuna and asked Keysha to place them on the table. I said: "Keysha pick out the can of Tuna with the word WATER on it." She did it. I then asked her to spell WATER. Keysha said "W A F E R!". I then announced "I think I made my point!" They looked embarrassed, including the Doctor that claimed Keysha would never read.

The school she attended had 1900 students and 75 different class offerings for normal and gifted students. There were no teachers available to offer Music Appreciation for handicapped students (my suggestion).

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Reimnitz View Post
                            Last month the Philadelphia school district decided to use meditation to calm the kids. It appears the meditation didn't work out. It's called Transcendental Meditation.
                            That's because they forgot to use the traditional "calming wand of inner peace", known to us as a Louieville Slugger!

To meditate, one must first have both intelligence and self-discipline, both markedly absent from the Philly schools of urban combat.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X