Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)

The CPTPP will continue without the United States. At one point, we thought Canada was going to follow in the U.S. footsteps when PM Trudeau failed to arrive at a meeting on Friday.

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau sabotages Trans-Pacific Partnership, shocking leaders
    Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sabotaged the endorsement of a pact to salvage a multibillion-dollar, 11-nation Pacific Rim trade deal at the last minute, surprising leaders of the other nations, including Australia's Malcolm Turnbull.

But amid confusion and drama on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Vietnam, trade ministers issued a statement saying all 11 countries had agreed to continue negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership and "core elements" of the deal had been reached, while more work to be done.
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/canadas-...10-gzj866.html
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Justin Trudeau was a no-show because he want to renegotiate. He does not want to be rushed into any agreement that is not in the best interest of Canada. He's no fool. He's learning by watching Trump.

Comment

There has been something of an alliance developed between Canada and Mexico at the TPP, largely because Canada has stood by Mexico on NAFTA. "Pena Nieto reassured him that if Canada didn't sign on to the TPP, Mexico wouldn't either",an official said. Canada played some high stakes poker after that getting movement it wanted on autos, rules of origin, cultural industries, and especially IP. I was pissed with Trudeau on Friday morning but he was back in my good books by Friday night.
      Last edited by Sparlingo; 12 Nov 17, 10:58.

Comment

I suspect Trudeau is slowing his roll on TPP to please Trump. Trudeau will be meeting with Trump soon regarding NAFTA.
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Given the massive amount of trade between Canada and the US it is Canada's best interests to pay close attention to what the US is doing on this trade agreement. That makes good sense for Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
            I suspect Trudeau is slowing his roll on TPP to please Trump. Trudeau will be meeting with Trump soon regarding NAFTA.
            How TPP was going to fit with NAFTA was certainly a concern both Mexico and Canada had, especially on rules on Origin and cars. Trudeau was also sending a message to Trump that he won't accept bad trade deals. TPP does set minimum labour conditions and speaks to issues dealing with child labour on textiles and setting minimum wages. This is a theme he is pressing at NAFTA to get Mexican labour standards and wages up and also Canada has been pushing against anti union right to work legislation in the U.S. I doubt he will get far with that. Canadian and Mexican strategy at NAFTA is to develop support in the states that trade with Canada and Mexico and in Congress and simply wait out the talks for as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Given the massive amount of trade between Canada and the US it is Canada's best interests to pay close attention to what the US is doing on this trade agreement. That makes good sense for Canada.
              I don't understand. The US isn't doing anything with this agreement is it? They pulled out of the TPP in the Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                Justin Trudeau was a no-show because he want to renegotiate. He does not want to be rushed into any agreement that is not in the best interest of Canada. He's no fool. He's learning by watching Trump.
                In the Wellingtonian manner "one learnt what not to do and that is always valuable". Even incompetence can offer lessons
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                  I don't understand. The US isn't doing anything with this agreement is it? They pulled out of the TPP in the Spring.
                  In the case of this treaty, doing nothing is something.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    In the case of this treaty, doing nothing is something.
                    Indeed it is, but "paying close attention to what the US is doing on this trade agreement." is very non-onerous, I could do that myself.

Comment

The Australian media seems to be reporting what a massive snub to Turnbull it was for Trudeau to walk away. "Canada screwed us all" was one not so kind comment from Turnbull's office. Our media seems to be saying that Canada was warning about this all along. Interesting to see the difference in reporting on TPP by country with OZ being a bit of an outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Reimnitz View Post
                        The CPTPP will continue without the United States. At one point, we thought Canada was going to follow in the U.S. footsteps when PM Trudeau failed to arrive at a meeting on Friday
                        we? were you part of the negotiations?
                        Frankly, when I heard Trudeau had been a no show, I thought he finally did something I could laud him for..

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                          we? were you part of the negotiations?
                          I thought that too for a little while, so Reimnitz and I both thought it. So the statement "at one point we thought that Canada was ..." is entirely true. Looks like Trudeau's going to get a better deal too without the suffocating IP provisions among other enhancements.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                            How TPP was going to fit with NAFTA was certainly a concern both Mexico and Canada had, especially on rules on Origin and cars. Trudeau was also sending a message to Trump that he won't accept bad trade deals. TPP does set minimum labour conditions and speaks to issues dealing with child labour on textiles and setting minimum wages. This is a theme he is pressing at NAFTA to get Mexican labour standards and wages up and also Canada has been pushing against anti union right to work legislation in the U.S. I doubt he will get far with that. Canadian and Mexican strategy at NAFTA is to develop support in the states that trade with Canada and Mexico and in Congress and simply wait out the talks for as long as possible.
                            It would be wise for Mexico and Canada to team up and deal with the U.S. One on one is not enough leverage to negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                              It would be wise for Mexico and Canada to team up and deal with the U.S. One on one is not enough leverage to negotiate.
                              Agreed, but it seems that is what they are doing. Mind you, Canada is pressing for higher labour standards for mexico, including wages.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X