3 UCLA basketball players arrested in China on shoplifting charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 UCLA basketball players arrested in China on shoplifting charges

Three American college basketball players were recently arrested(now released on bail but held in their Hotel) on suspicion of stealing sunglasses at a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou, China..while on a so called good will basketball tour. One of the players accused is a brother of LA Lakers Pro Basketball player Lonzo Ball.

LiAngelo Ball, the brother of NBA star Lonzo Ball, was one of three UCLA basketball players arrested Tuesaday in China for allegedly stealing from a Louis Vuitton store.

LiAngelo Ball, brother of Los Angeles Lakersí star point guard Lonzo Ball and son of the outspoken LaVar Ball, was one of three UCLA freshman basketball players arrested on Tuesday after allegedly stealing from a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou, China.

The players were in the city of Hangzhou preparing for their season-opener in Shanghai. It is unclear what the players allegedly stole. Louis Vuitton is world famous for its high-end bags and accessories.

Ball was arrested with teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill. They are being questioned by police for allegedly shoplifting from the store next to their hotel, according to ESPN. The players did not travel with the team on Wednesday, the report said.

Shoplifting in China can carry a prison sentence between three and 10 years in prison. It and could take prosecutors over a month to decide whether to press charges, reported Yahoo.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/1...oplifting.html

Many are asking how should 3 American college athletes be treated in China where the 3 players could be kept in the country for months due to the legal process. I feel bad for the 3 players, if guilty they made a mistake and IMO should have to at some point do some community service in Hangzhou, China or pay the amount equal to or maybe more then the price of goods allegedly stolen from the Louis Vuitton store.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

How should they be treated? Just as the Chinese would treat anyone who was charged with a crime there. Why should they get special or different treatment?

It's like that diplomat's kid who vandalized some cars in Singapore like a decade ago. The kid was found guilty by Singapore's justice system and sentenced appropriately under it to like 3 years and 3 lashes. There was this outcry that was unjust or unfair in the US at the time. Why? In Singapore most felonies carry a sentence of a lash and a year for the length of the sentence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

That's their law and that's their punishment system. You don't like it? Don't go there and break their laws.

Comment

^ Confucius say "don't pee in other man's pool and fail to bring chlorine."

Rimshot
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I'm on the Chinese side of this.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Same here.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Doesn't seem to be much to debate here. They broke the laws, they should be punished for it. They break Chinese laws, then the Chinese should punish them for it.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Can Louis Vuitton elect not to press charges?
              "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                How should they be treated? Just as the Chinese would treat anyone who was charged with a crime there. Why should they get special or different treatment?

It's like that diplomat's kid who vandalized some cars in Singapore like a decade ago. The kid was found guilty by Singapore's justice system and sentenced appropriately under it to like 3 years and 3 lashes. There was this outcry that was unjust or unfair in the US at the time. Why? In Singapore most felonies carry a sentence of a lash and a year for the length of the sentence.

That's their law and that's their punishment system. You don't like it? Don't go there and break their laws.
                Right, I understand the concept of when in Rome. That being said I would have been providing the same views had some Chinese basketball players been arrested for stealing high quality sunglasses at a Louis Vuitton store somewhere in Los Angeles. There are some tough anti crime laws in both China and the USA, I would not want to be caught up in the Chinese or US law system if I committed a crime.

In cases where property of relatively low value is stolen, petty or petit theft charges may result. States often place a specific dollar figure, such as $500 or $1,000, as the upper limit for petty theft charges. These charges are typically misdemeanors that carry fines or relatively short jail times of less than a year. However, even in cases of petty theft, there can still be major penalties in states with applicable recidivist or repeat offender sentencing laws, also referred to as "Three Strikes" laws.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...entencing.html

To each their own, some guys say "through the book at em" Lock em up and throw the key away". To each their own, but I am for a different way, there is no doubt that if one of our family members or friends were facing a jail sentence for w/e reason, that it would be different situation and we would not be hearing the "throw the book at them" approach. There could be other planets looking upon ours and saying how can Earth people put their own fellow people in prison to languish away for stealing because of a thrill or even stealing because they are poor and need to eat.

In the case of the OP it seems the 3 basketball players stole for a thrill, it was a mistake and IMO these young men should serve community service in Hangzhou, China if they are guilty. I also consider that even thieves have family members. Even a criminal has a mother or a son. I agree with the concept of when in Rome as you and others bring up but I also submit that fines and jail sentences in China and our country should be more merciful.
                Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 09 Nov 17, 09:35.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

A crime is not a mistake and community service is not a punishment : society has been victim of a crime and must have satisfaction : which is jail .

Comment

Just hit em in the wallet and the public scorn for the horrible behavior in representing their school and country should be enough to teach the little pricks a lesson. Otherwise its just going to be another "Woe is me, Everybody is racist" Bull S&*#.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                      In the case of the OP it seems the 3 basketball players stole for a thrill, it was a mistake and IMO these young men should serve community service in Hangzhou, China if they are guilty. I also consider that even thieves have family members. Even a criminal has a mother or a son. I agree with the concept of when in Rome as you and others bring up but I also submit that fines and jail sentences in China and our country should be more merciful.
                      The reason for the theft is irrelevant. Their penalty should be the same as it is for other shoplifters. If we start assessing motive on every crime you end up with things like "Hate crimes" in the US. These add more penalty for motive meaning that some victims of certain crimes are more important and valuable to our society than others.

Whereas I am largely unconcerned with the penalty. My concern lies with the legal / judicial process. I want that to be both through and fair. More importantly, I want it to be swift. When the legal wrangling goes on for months or even years before a final verdict that's unfair to everyone involved except the lawyers and judges, an in my opinion they are socially the least important players in the process. They're not the ones potentially going to jail. They're not the victim that wants justice served. They're not the society harmed by the actions of the defendant. They're just some professionals we've hired to manage the process. They're nothing more than low level managers and bureaucrats... the least important people in the process.

Comment

When my Track team went to China back in the 80s in no uncertain terms were we told of the very very bad things that could happen if you broke the law and to mind your Ps and Qs

They deserve what they get.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Concur. Those three prove, yet again, that you cannot fix stupid. But you know what, LaVar Ball's comments that what his kid did no big are more concerning. Shoplifting in the USA would have been bad enough, but I can hardly begin to wrap my head around the sense of entitlement made it possible for his kid to do that in a foreign country and for his daddy to claim that it was not a big deal.

LaVar Ball says LiAngelo's arrest for shoplifting in China 'ain't that big ...

https://www.cbssports.com/...basketb...-for-shoplifti...

1 day ago - "Everyone's making it a big deal. It ain't ... acknowledging the situation and suggesting all inquiries be directed to UCLA, not to the conference.
                          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

^ I saw that, and like you, I was stunned. I don't know a whole lot about Chinese justice -- 'cept I sure as hell don't eveer want to be on the receiving end of it. If that were my kid, I'd be pi$$ed at him nine-ways-from-Sunday for doing something that obviously stupid and that obviously dangerous -- and then I'd be scared sh*tless for his fate.

Brush it all all you want, LaVar, but this ain't no small thing.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                              Three American college basketball players were recently arrested(now released on bail but held in their Hotel) on suspicion of stealing sunglasses at a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou, China..while on a so called good will basketball tour. One of the players accused is a brother of LA Lakers Pro Basketball player Lonzo Ball.

LiAngelo Ball, the brother of NBA star Lonzo Ball, was one of three UCLA basketball players arrested Tuesaday in China for allegedly stealing from a Louis Vuitton store.

LiAngelo Ball, brother of Los Angeles Lakersí star point guard Lonzo Ball and son of the outspoken LaVar Ball, was one of three UCLA freshman basketball players arrested on Tuesday after allegedly stealing from a Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou, China.

The players were in the city of Hangzhou preparing for their season-opener in Shanghai. It is unclear what the players allegedly stole. Louis Vuitton is world famous for its high-end bags and accessories.

Ball was arrested with teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill. They are being questioned by police for allegedly shoplifting from the store next to their hotel, according to ESPN. The players did not travel with the team on Wednesday, the report said.

Shoplifting in China can carry a prison sentence between three and 10 years in prison. It and could take prosecutors over a month to decide whether to press charges, reported Yahoo.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/1...oplifting.html

Many are asking how should 3 American college athletes be treated in China where the 3 players could be kept in the country for months due to the legal process. I feel bad for the 3 players, if guilty they made a mistake and IMO should have to at some point do some community service in Hangzhou, China or pay the amount equal to or maybe more then the price of goods allegedly stolen from the Louis Vuitton store.
                              Looks like they will play without one Ball.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X