Mass shooting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Being so close to the Mexican border, I'd think it quite easy to obtain such weapon from Mexico. The place is awash in military grade weapons as it is. It wouldn't take much to traipse on over there and buy some -- regardless of the written law.
    I'd say Craig's list or a gun show in Arizona are your preferred places to get a firearm if you have a questionable background. Getting one in from Mexico is far more difficult. First, you'd have to find an individual willing to sell you one illegally. Then there's getting it across the border into the US. You run the real risk it will be found by the ICE bunch coming across.

Comment

• Since all libs are ****ed in the head that would be reasonable behavior and it is the gun that was the problem. Shocker!

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      “His parents had him on high doses of ‘psych’ meds from 6th to 9th grade, the time I knew him,” said the student, who only wished to be identified as Reid.

My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Yeah, I remember how that arms deal went down.

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Being so close to the Mexican border, I'd think it quite easy to obtain such weapon from Mexico. The place is awash in military grade weapons as it is. It wouldn't take much to traipse on over there and buy some -- regardless of the written law.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Yeah, I remember how that arms deal went down.

Raise you a Taco Bowl from Trump Tower.

“The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            I'd say Craig's list or a gun show in Arizona are your preferred places to get a firearm if you have a questionable background. Getting one in from Mexico is far more difficult. First, you'd have to find an individual willing to sell you one illegally. Then there's getting it across the border into the US. You run the real risk it will be found by the ICE bunch coming across.
            I'm going to disagree -- to a degree. At present it's easier and safer to buy illicit firearms from local sources, to be sure. As Federal firearms laws tighten -- which I fear they ultimately will -- buying weapons from Mexican sources will become easier. Getting them across the border will present little challenge. As it is, something like 170,000 people per annum cross the border from Mexico illegally -- and that's with recent advances in enforcement. If there's enough demand -- just like with narcotics and illegal immigrant labor -- people will pay extra for Mexican weapons. There are always crossing points that slip under BP's radar, and if Gringos coming home from Mexico can't find them, you can sure as hell bet that those Mexican coyotes will. If the demand is there, you can rest assured that a lively trade will spring up to satisfy it.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Or more people train themselves in gunsmithing. It's not rocket science...

https://gunsmithing.nra.org/
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Being so close to the Mexican border, I'd think it quite easy to obtain such weapon from Mexico.
                You can get the kind of weapon he used at any gun store in the U.S. EZ-PZ.

The place is awash in military grade weapons as it is.
                With the exception of fully automatic guns, so is the U.S.

And fully automatic weapons are not particularly hard to come by in the U.S. either. Heck, the sales of "bump stocks" SOARED after the Vegas shooting.

But you don't really need a fully automatic weapon to cause mass carnage. Large capacity magazines and high velocity sem-automatic weapons is all you need. And those are as plentiful as rice cakes in the U.S.

The United Federation of Teachers -- the union that represents public school teachers in the City of New York, and is as liberal an outfit that has existed since the folding of Comintern -- spent untold hundreds of thousands of dues-payers' dollars, appealing just one step short of the Supreme Court, to keep the editor of the NAMBLA newsletter in the classroom and on the public payroll. So which side of the aisle should take "politically incorrect" acts -- 'cause from where I sit, knowingly exposing children to pederasts should get one shot. Maybe that's where the gun lobby comes in smelling like roses.
                Different discussion.

My point is that the Predator-in-chief (and his ilk) likes to talk about how "Politically incorrect" he is....but it's only when it comes to Islam and bullying people. Which is what his "base" finds so appealing. It doesn't take any real courage to do exactly what your core constituency expects.

But taking on the NRA takes real cajones. It's too bad for the next victims that he (and other lawmakers) don't have them.

But them's the breaks. I wonder how many children will be murdered next time?
                "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
                -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

• Originally posted by armor11 View Post
                  You can get the kind of weapon he used at any gun store in the U.S. EZ-PZ.
                  In Texas, yes. In NY it's just this side of impossible. Brave Gov Cuomo put the clamps down after some nut who'd just been paroled after beating his mother to death with a hammer shot up a local fire truck. Sh*t-fer-brains was out early 'cause the DA was too lazy to prosecute the perp for murder" allowed him to plea to manslaughter instead.

But in time, as Federal regs tighten -- which they ultimately will -- Mexico will become a more attractive source for weapons.

Originally posted by armor11 View Post
                  With the exception of fully automatic guns, so is the U.S.
                  Why can't one acquire a fully automatic weapon in Mexico? Because full-auto weapons are illegal in Mexico?

It can be a little deceiving to think of Mexico's drug cartels as simply gangsters. Instead, they've blurred boundaries between organized crime and quasi-military insurgents, seized swathes of territory and become some of the world's most dangerous criminal gangs. They've also acquired plenty of firepower to back it up. . . . .

The Mexican army regularly seizes arsenals of small arms from stockpiles, abandoned after firefights or concealed inside vehicles driven by drug traffickers. In June, a "narco rebellion" in the border city of Piedras Negras resulted sporadic firefights lasting hours. After it was over, the military had turned up 50 AK-47 rifles, along with grenade launchers, various machine guns, shotguns and bolt-action rifles. But the cartels are also getting increasingly more powerful guns. In March, firefights between police and the Zetas netted both M-60 and a .30-caliber Browning machine gun. Sniper rifles and machine guns up to the .50-caliber size have been discovered. The Mexican military has even turned up a German MG34 machine gun from World War II.

An open question is where the cartels get their guns. It's generally accepted the bulk come from two places: The United States and Central America. . . . .

Hand-lobbed grenades are unfortunately quite common, and hundreds of grenades have reportedly been detonated in Mexico in 2012 alone. In 2009, "spillover" violence came to the forefront of concerns over border security after someone threw a South Korean fragmentation grenade into a strip club in Pharr, Texas. The grenade didn't explode, but was later traced to another batch of imported grenades that were lobbed at the U.S. consulate in Monterrey and a TV news studio.

Rocket-propelled grenade launchers are some of the heaviest weapons possessed by the cartels, and owe their introduction to the region during the Cold War conflicts in Central America. The launchers have also been reportedly stolen from military stockpiles in countries like El Salvador and Honduras and smuggled across the border into Mexico. They've been used in retaliatory attacks against the police and army following the arrest of cartel bosses, and Heriberto Lazcano — the former Zetas boss killed by Mexican marines in early October — was also reportedly packing one.

Later in October, several Mexican cops came close to being on the receiving end. A police SWAT team in the border city of Piedas Negras stopped a stolen van when they were fired on by gunmen. The gunmen fled the van on foot, but left behind a Soviet-made RPG-7 launcher with three rockets. . . . .

In May, Mexican troops fought a group of drug traffickers in the state of Zacatecas, killed three of them, and seized an arsenal of weapons including a M18A1 Claymore anti-personnel mine. The Claymore can blast hundreds of steel balls at a range of more than 300 feet, and is used by the U.S. military, though is also widely copied around the world. Even more worrying was that the mine was seized together with its detonator wire and firing device, meaning it could have been usable. . . . .

"The Tools of Mexico’s Drug Cartels, From Landmines to Monster Trucks," by Robert Beckhusen, Wired, 30 Nov 2012
                  And as the Mexican cartels become more sophisticated and more global, there's no reason to believe that they won't address demand for all manner of firearms virtually any place where they operate -- which these days is virtually anywhere.

Never understood the mind that maintains that a new law will positively address a deeply-rooted social ill. How have laws banning narcotics and prostitution and gambling worked?

And fully automatic weapons are not particularly hard to come by in the U.S. either.
                  With enough money, a full-auto weapon can be had in the US -- but it ain't easy, and it ain't cheap. You're better off breaking into your local National Guard armory: far and away the easiest method by which to acquire military-grade weapons within the US.

Heck, the sales of "bump stocks" SOARED after the Vegas shooting.
                  Might it have something to do with the Fourth Estate repeating the term like a mantra for the last month?

But you don't really need a fully automatic weapon to cause mass carnage. Large capacity magazines and high velocity sem-automatic weapons is all you need. And those are as plentiful as rice cakes in the U.S.
                  And restricting my ability to purchase these items changes that fact how?

Different discussion.
                  You're the one who mentioned "culture of violence." All I did was give you an example: a prominent institution with with a history of extensive political activity used its dues-payers' dollars to keep a pederast in the classroom. The question should be clear: whose promoting this "culture of violence"?

My point is that the Predator-in-chief (and his ilk) likes to talk about how "Politically incorrect" he is....but it's only when it comes to Islam and bullying people. Which is what his "base" finds so appealing. It doesn't take any real courage to do exactly what your core constituency expects.

But taking on the NRA takes real cajones. It's too bad for the next victims that he (and other lawmakers) don't have them.

But them's the breaks. I wonder how many children will be murdered next time?
                  Guess I'm weird for viewing rape as the worse crime. But surely I'm not the only one.

Besides, shouldn't you be rejoicing: 26 bible-thumping Baptists in Texas are now pushing up the daisies. Don't you count that as progress?
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                    Or more people train themselves in gunsmithing. It's not rocket science...

https://gunsmithing.nra.org/
                    3D printed firearms are the next revolution in gun control. At this point it is already possible to print yourself a gun, while all you really need is the ammunition and a few key parts (normal 3D printer parts can’t handle the pressures, though this information is a few years old).

In the future, you won’t need to ever consult with anyone else to secure your own automatic weapon. If you buy a couple boxes of ammo and follow the instructions like building IKEA furniture, you too could possess a working facsimile of other firearms.

Not too practical at the moment, but like with drones, the technology is improving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      3D printed firearms are the next revolution in gun control. At this point it is already possible to print yourself a gun, while all you really need is the ammunition and a few key parts (normal 3D printer parts can’t handle the pressures, though this information is a few years old).

In the future, you won’t need to ever consult with anyone else to secure your own automatic weapon. If you buy a couple boxes of ammo and follow the instructions like building IKEA furniture, you too could possess a working facsimile of other firearms.

Not too practical at the moment, but like with drones, the technology is improving.
                      I attended a briefing in 2016 by ATF on the subject. They were predicting that gun laws would be unenforceable (because of 3D printing) no later than 2022. The price of a printer capable of producing a viable copy of a firearm stood at $40,000 at that point. The only reason they are not in use today is because firearms are so cheap there is no demand.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Oh, the Star-Telegram article is wrong in one respect: You do not need a license to possess or carry a weapon in Texas, only a permit / license is needed for concealed carry. Kelley was denied that when he applied for it.
                        No, a concealed handgun license is required to carry a handgun regardless of whether it is open or concealed carry.

Long guns are not regulated, but can be subject to a charge of reckless display.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Gun shows, garage sales, and flea markets are a good venue.

Thousands of weapons come across the border every week. But most keep going to the blue states. They're not killing people in Detroit and Chicago with legal firearms.

Comment

In Texas, yes. In NY it's just this side of impossible.
                            In NY City, maybe.

These kinds of guns are easy to get and you don't need to go to Mexico to get them.

Why can't one acquire a fully automatic weapon in Mexico? Because full-auto weapons are illegal in Mexico?
                            Didn't say you couldn't. I merely said:

1) You can also get them in the U.S.
                            2) You don't really need them to create mass carnage.

You're the one who mentioned "culture of violence."
                            If you want to take about the dangers of NAMBLA, I suggest you start another thread.

This thread is about the mass shootings in Texas. But perhaps reducing the culture of violence in general will have the effect you desire on NAMBLA.

Besides, shouldn't you be rejoicing: 26 bible-thumping Baptists in Texas are now pushing up the daisies. Don't you count that as progress?
                            Feel free to take that comment, fold it five ways and stick it where the sun don't shine...er, "pal."
                            "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
                            -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              I attended a briefing in 2016 by ATF on the subject. They were predicting that gun laws would be unenforceable (because of 3D printing) no later than 2022. The price of a printer capable of producing a viable copy of a firearm stood at $40,000 at that point. The only reason they are not in use today is because firearms are so cheap there is no demand.
                              That's pretty dang interesting, and I'm really not surprised. There are still technical limitations for using them, though. A 3D printer can't print gunpowder, for example. The future of gun control may represent a move to controlling access to substances instead of the weapons themselves - making access to ammunition, or the components to make ammunition, more tightly controlled to account for the ease of production.

There may be a time when you anyone can own whatever weapon they like, but you'll need a background check to purchase gunpowder.

Comment

• No, the Texas church shooter was not on the DNC payroll. That’s fake news.

Fake news bloggers have seized on the mass shooting at a Texas church, which killed 26 and injured 20 others, to spread disinformation about the shooter’s identity and motive.

Freedumjunkshun.com, a self-avowed fake news website, portrayed the perpetrator as a desperate Democratic activist whose killing spree at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, was motivated by atheism.

"FBI and Texas State Police are both confirming that Raymond Peter Littleberry, the man accused of shooting up a Texas church, was an avid atheist on the payroll of the Democrat National Committee," the article claimed.

The fake news article missed basic facts and fabricated others. It wrongly identified the alleged shooter as Raymond Peter Littleberry. Law enforcement officials identified the gunman as 26-year-old Devin Patrick Kelley.
                                http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ayroll-s-fake/

EDIT: the fact that the original story was obviously false and from a website that declares itself to be a source of fake news didn't stop a couple of people I know discussing this as if it were true. So, in case anyone else saw someone sharing this on social media, just be cautious. Real fake news does exist.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X