No announcement yet.

Mass shooting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might help if the cops stopped leaving guns unsecured in their cars.

Oakland police are seeking a thief who broke into a car Monday and stole a pair of handguns belonging to a police officer who had driven 300 miles from Kern County to help UC Berkeley handle protests this weekend.
    “The Oakland Police Department understands the seriousness of the items that were taken in this auto burglary,” Officer Johnna Watson said in a statement.
    The officer whose guns were stolen was one of five who drove up from the tiny city of Taft to join hundreds of officers from 10 jurisdictions to help prevent violence Sunday when ultraconservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos visited the left-leaning campus. He stayed for about 15 minutes, costing the university and the city of Berkeley about $800,000 in security costs, UC Berkeley officials said.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...t-12228048.php

They couldn't put it in the trunk? Or at least out of sight???
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      It might help if the cops stopped leaving guns unsecured in their cars.

Oakland police are seeking a thief who broke into a car Monday and stole a pair of handguns belonging to a police officer who had driven 300 miles from Kern County to help UC Berkeley handle protests this weekend.
      “The Oakland Police Department understands the seriousness of the items that were taken in this auto burglary,” Officer Johnna Watson said in a statement.
      The officer whose guns were stolen was one of five who drove up from the tiny city of Taft to join hundreds of officers from 10 jurisdictions to help prevent violence Sunday when ultraconservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos visited the left-leaning campus. He stayed for about 15 minutes, costing the university and the city of Berkeley about $800,000 in security costs, UC Berkeley officials said.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...t-12228048.php

They couldn't put it in the trunk? Or at least out of sight???
      Thousands of firearms are stolen out of vehicles each year, and even more are taken in burglaries.

Every evidence room in the US has racks of recovered firearms but no known owners.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post
        And to top it all off, she welcomes poor immigrants...
        Liberal myth built on a poem that was not part of the original package. It was nothing more than a fancy lighthouse until it was commandeered by the no-borders crowd to somehow prove we were meant to be swamped and overrun people that does not want to assimilate.

At the time, the US Government did not even have the power to regulate immigration. That power went to individual States.

And when the Feds did take over immigration, where did they put them "poor" immigrants? On Ellis Island to be vetted. Back then, we had the right to reject immigrants that were ill or could not contribute. Right under the torch of the Statue of Liberty.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Yeah, but it points to someone that screwed up which is often a good thing.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          That's another problem. Stuff that shouldn't get in does. Charges that were dropped for example. The other issue is once it's in there, it's forever. So, you get stuff that's decades old and irrelevant but you could still be denied for it.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Tangentially I'll be responding to pamak as well.

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
            . . . . Because when it comes down to it, gun to your head, which paper at the checkout are you going to bet is more accurate - a copy of the Times or a copy of the National Enquirer? . . . .
            When I was but a wee lad, my great-grandmother had a fresh copy of The New York Times on her coffee table every day. She always claimed that she couldn't read English and that she bought it in order to line the bird cage, but we knew that the old lady read it. She was one of the most well-informed people I ever knew. Back then it was an article of faith that The New York Times was gold standard of American journalism. "All the news that's fit to print." When I read The Times as a kid I felt like a real grownup. Even The Times' language was superior. When I was in Saudi in 1990-91 my mother sent me the Sunday Times every week. Reading The Times back in the day was an experience, a pleasant experience that I cherished for many years.

So you can imagine the disappointment I felt when I learned how crass and self-serving and manipulative The Times could be. I can list their transgressions, but surely you know them as well as I do. I just have a hard time respecting an institution that will sell their endorsements for commercial gain, and do it so nakedly, at that. Compare The Times' "all the news that's fit to print" to Fox News' "fair and balanced." The latter is said with a wink-wink, so we all know that they're full of sh&t, but the former was always touted as gospel truth. What makes it worse is that Fox News' proprietors and editors know they're running a con, while The Times and their partisans still believe that their sh*t don't stink: check out current publisher Sulzberger Jr's bitter defense of Duranty's Pulitzer displayed in The Time's lobby -- would have made Trump blush. And since Old Man Sulzberger's passing, even the quality of The Times' language has declined. My teachers for years repeated mantra-like that reading The Times daily was the best preparation for the SAT. Nowadays it reads like it's written by high school dropouts. So yeah, The Times is worse, worse even than that scandal sheet Breitbart. Breitbart doesn't trade on generations of good faith and reputation. Sadly The Times does.

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
            Groups like CNN are like the guy at your party with lots of stories and quite the track record, but he just loves slip in a whopper now and again to try and make himself look even better (and he'll totally claim it was his idea to hold the party when you're not looking, too).

Breitbart is like the guy at your party shouting at a poodle for trying to steal his kidneys.
            I'd liken Breitbart to that creepy guy who lives in the run down Gothic mansion on the end of the block that all the kids stay away from 'cause they think he's some kind of pervert. The Times, on the other hand, is the parish priest, trusted by generations of your neighbors and your family, highly respected and touted as a pillar of the community, who turns out to have raped dozens of kids, and all the kids are afraid to talk about it because they're all afraid that the priest's impeccable reputation will make them look like liars in the eyes of their community. That's how bitterly disappointing The Times has become.

Originally posted by armor11 View Post
            1) Please explain how a "crazy person that should have been placed in a mental institution" found it easy to get access to a weapon capable of killing 27 people and wounding 20 others in about 30 seconds.

2) Roughly 2000 people murder other people with guns every year. Are they all crazy?

3) Please define crazy.
            You do realize where your logic is headed, don't you? Shouldn't that kind of reasoning then be extended to drivers who've been in accidents, surgeons who commit malpractice, police who beat and/or kill suspects, etc, etc. They're all dangerous acts, capable of getting people hurt. Should we not ban those activities as well, on account of the fact that all kinds of people can be badly hurt or killed?
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              A guy beats his wife savagely, breaks his toddler stepsons skull, attempts to smuggle weapons onto a military base after threatening to kill his commanding officer and others, is placed in a mental hospital from which he escaped, is dishonorably discharged from the military sentenced to a year in military prison.
              Has numerous complaints filed for domestic violence.
              And nobody saw it coming! The FBI had no clue,the ATF had no clue.
              I’m sure I will be labeled as an anti American, anti constitution fascist.
              But this guy should have been wrapped up in a straight jacket, locked in a padded cell, with no doors, just a hole in the wall for air, food and water.
              This is redicules. A total failure of every protection we as citizens have been told stands between us and people like this.
              How many excuses do we need to hear?
              This is why we need to arm ourselves. We cannot trust our protection to anyone in authority, they have failed us to many times.
              They did not fail you, it is that pesky Bill of Rights getting in your way again.

You cannot deprive a citizen of their freedom without due process.

And yes, what you are describing is precisely anti-American in nature. You are urging for the elimination of all personal freedoms.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• I seem to recall a Suburban loaded with all kinds of hardware that was owned by the FBI. Came up missing in a hotel parking lot. Ooops.

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Thousands of firearms are stolen out of vehicles each year, and even more are taken in burglaries.

Every evidence room in the US has racks of recovered firearms but no known owners.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  Even if a domestic violence case is handled off base in the civilian criminal court system, criminal conviction of even a misdemeanor involving domestic violence can end a service member's military career; the 1996 Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968 makes it unlawful for anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor of domestic violence to possess firearms. The law applies to law enforcement officers and military personnel.

https://www.thebalance.com/domestic-...litary-4052670
                  So, the NRA is lying when it says that 30-something states report only about 80% of their felony convictions? Or is it that this act does not apply to states? There are obviously some loopholes in order to have the states report only 80% of there FELONY records. This, again, comes from the NRA, not a leftist organization...
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    This is a matter of the personnel support not getting the records correct in somebody's service record.

I know that all too well. Had to have my DD 214 retyped three times before I'd sign it. They actually called the USS Enterprise's CHENG (Chief Engineer, a Commander) to the personnel office when I refused to back date evals that were not done on time (two years worth, three in total) on my being discharged.
                    He shrugged and said it wasn't going to make any difference and to stop bothering him.
                    I have a page awarding me a bunch of medals for being in the Persian Gulf on the USS LaSalle, a ship I never served on and didn't even know existed at the time in mine too.

Stuff doesn't get into service records all the time. Add to that that the personnel staff probably have no access to NCIC or other national criminal databases along with not being aware they're even supposed to input military court martials into these systems.

This guy fell through the cracks of a very fractured system.
                    The problem is not DD 214s, the problem is with the military court system.

To prosecute someone for a felon in possession of a firearm the DA's office is going to have to provide proof that they are a felon and were convicted within the allotrted time period.

The problem is that the UCMJ is not divided into misdemeanors and felonies, and records of a court martial are almost impossible to get in a timely fashion (or even untimely).

So without valid proof pf a felony conviction, you have no offense.

Comment

I seem to recall a Suburban loaded with all kinds of hardware that was owned by the FBI. Came up missing in a hotel parking lot. Ooops.
                      Yeah, it happens. The US Forest Service lost a huge number of handguns in one go.

ATF is missing about 600 automatic weapons (evidence) last I heard. A PD in New York lost two M2 HMGs and a lot of ammo.

Stuff happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post
                        So, the NRA is lying when it says that 30-something states report only about 80% of their felony convictions? Or is it that this act does not apply to states? There are obviously some loopholes in order to have the states report only 80% of there FELONY records. This, again, comes from the NRA, not a leftist organization...
                        I don't specifically know about this problem, but one of the NRA's complaints for years is that current legislation is not enforced, or that the authorities don't go through the processes required for an enforcement action. It's a complaint that I tend to agree with: why enlarge the state's writ if the state doesn't properly enforce the laws already on the books?
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

You're wrong.

Try beating up your wife and see if it gets in the database. Wait a minute, don't do that. It will get in, even stuff that never received a conviction of any kind can show up in the NICS.
                          I have never beaten my wife, so I cannot be so sure...
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            I don't specifically know about this problem, but one of the NRA's complaints for years is that current legislation is not enforced, or that the authorities don't go through the processes required for an enforcement action. It's a complaint that I tend to agree with: why enlarge the state's writ if the state doesn't properly enforce the laws already on the books?
                            I am not making a claim that I know. I just see signs which make me think that there may be something more than failing to report as a result of casual mistakes. Now, for this particular case, I can accept that this may indeed be a case of a mistake. This guy did not just have a conviction for domestic violence. From what I read, he fractured the skull of his step-son, so we are talking about a completely deranged person. Still, all this language I hear, including the information I got from the NRA BEFORE this incident about the problems of reporting felonies to the national database, makes me think that it is not that easy to say that the issue is just people making mistakes and not the laws themselves regarding how and why felonies are reported...
                            And notice that in the video I posted the NRA guy says that until the political DEMAND that all such felony cases are reported, the problem will continue to exist. This implies that the laws simply do not have "teeth" and can be often ignored! This may be something similar to the speed limit. Everybody goes over it at some point without much fear that this will bring consequences...
                            So, norms and procedures DO matter!
                            Last edited by pamak; 07 Nov 17, 21:26.

Comment

You're wrong.

Try beating up your wife and see if it gets in the database. Wait a minute, don't do that. It will get in, even stuff that never received a conviction of any kind can show up in the NICS.
                              Never beat your wife. She knows where you sleep!

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                                Liberal myth built on a poem that was not part of the original package. It was nothing more than a fancy lighthouse until it was commandeered by the no-borders crowd to somehow prove we were meant to be swamped and overrun people that does not want to assimilate.

At the time, the US Government did not even have the power to regulate immigration. That power went to individual States.

And when the Feds did take over immigration, where did they put them "poor" immigrants? On Ellis Island to be vetted. Back then, we had the right to reject immigrants that were ill or could not contribute. Right under the torch of the Statue of Liberty.
                                History and reality has never stood in the way of a Progressive delusion of how things should be...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X