Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updates

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/u...T.nav=top-news

UTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. — A day after a gunman massacred parishioners in a small Texas church, the Air Force admitted on Monday that it had failed to enter the man’s domestic violence court-martial into a federal database that could have blocked him from buying the rifle he used to kill 26 people.

The conviction of the gunman, Devin P. Kelley, for domestic assault on his wife and infant stepson — he had cracked the child’s skull — should have stopped Mr. Kelley from legally purchasing the military-style rifle and three other guns he bought in the last four years. But that information was never entered by the Air Force into the federal database for background checks on gun purchasers, the service said.

“The Air Force has launched a review of how the service handled the criminal records of former Airman Devin P. Kelley following his 2012 domestic violence conviction,” the Air Force said in a statement. “Federal law prohibited him from buying or possessing firearms after this conviction.”
    I wonder if this is going to open the can of worms considering the issue of PTSD and how it is related to aggression and domestic violence...
    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• I bet this could open up a can of worms if the Services have NOT been following up and entering all such cases into the data base. Could the Air Force be held liable in court?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post
        updates

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/u...T.nav=top-news

I wonder if this is going to open the can of worms considering the issue of PTSD and how it is related to aggression and domestic violence...
        Did any of his service put him in a situation where PTSD would be likely? Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Leave that to the people trying to make this about their political agendas.
        Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Most people in the Air Force do not have to deal with a lot of stress.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by BF69 View Post
            Did any of his service put him in a situation where PTSD would be likely? Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Leave that to the people trying to make this about their political agendas.
            From what I read he was stationed stateside.

Tuebor

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
              From what I read he was stationed stateside.

Tuebor
              I thought I read the same thing. Don't think PTSD is going to be an issue here.

Just another angry, violent, abusive man taking 'revenge' on people whose great crime was to disagree with him. A sadly familiar story.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

No, no...

I do not imply that he was suffering from a PTSD. I do not know about him. What I am saying is that perhaps this was not just a mistake and reflects a more general unofficial policy of not inputing cases of domestic violence in the databases because such an approach would put in danger the second amendment rights of the vulnerable PTSD group within the armed forces.
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

No, no...

I do not imply that he was suffering from a PTSD. I do not know about him. What I am saying is that perhaps this was not just a mistake and reflects a more general unofficial policy of not inputing cases of domestic violence in the databases because such an approach would put in danger the second amendment rights of the vulnerable PTSD group within the armed forces.
                  OK, gotcha.

Comment

• And by the way, just a short time ago, when there was another massacre, I posted and debated an NRA video which talked about how the databases are actually undermined because few are willing to provide inputs

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...2&postcount=27

Perhaps, there is no strong legal mandate to participate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I bet this could open up a can of worms if the Services have NOT been following up and entering all such cases into the data base. Could the Air Force be held liable in court?

Pruitt
                      Which data base?

And no, the Air Force is not liable.

There are hundreds of thousands of abusive subjects in the USA. Literally. They kill their SOs and/or the SO's family on a daily basis.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                        That's pretty dang interesting, and I'm really not surprised. There are still technical limitations for using them, though. A 3D printer can't print gunpowder, for example. The future of gun control may represent a move to controlling access to substances instead of the weapons themselves - making access to ammunition, or the components to make ammunition, more tightly controlled to account for the ease of production.

There may be a time when you anyone can own whatever weapon they like, but you'll need a background check to purchase gunpowder.
                        Wouldn't work. Any idiot can make modern gunpowder after a trip to the hardware store. The only reason it isn't done much now is because it is cheaper to buy it.

And the Second Amendment protects ammunition as well.

The future of gun control is it's complete negation, and a good day that will be.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I thought I read the same thing. Don't think PTSD is going to be an issue here.

Just another angry, violent, abusive man taking 'revenge' on people whose great crime was to disagree with him. A sadly familiar story.
                          Seems he had some issues with the mother in law.

Tuebor

Comment

• Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            Wouldn't work. Any idiot can make modern gunpowder after a trip to the hardware store. The only reason it isn't done much now is because it is cheaper to buy it.

And the Second Amendment protects ammunition as well.

The future of gun control is it's complete negation, and a good day that will be.
                            An idiot can certainly try to make modern gunpowder, but I doubt that the reliability rate of such products is going to be even close to that of today's manufacturers...

Comment

An idiot can certainly try to make modern gunpowder, but I doubt that the reliability rate of such products is going to be even close to that of today's manufacturers...
                              The hardest part is getting the nitric acid... The rest is actually easier and safer than making black powder... Not to mention much cleaner...

Comment

• Trump: Texas mass shooting is about mental health, not guns

TOKYO (AP) — Responding to a U.S. mass shooting for the second time in six weeks, President Donald Trump said Monday that it wasn’t “a guns situation” that was behind the slayings of more than two dozen worshippers at a Texas church a day earlier.

As he did following last month’s Las Vegas massacre of 58 people, Trump resisted any discussion of gun control during a news conference in Tokyo, where he was beginning his first presidential trip to Asia. Instead, Trump characterized the shooting as a “mental health problem at the highest level.” Yet White House officials said Trump is unlikely to call for a specific policy response, as he did after last week’s Islamic State group-inspired truck attack, which killed eight people in New York City.

Devin Kelley, the Texas gunman, was discharged from the Air Force several years ago for assaulting his spouse and a child, the Air Force said.

“This was a very — based on preliminary reports — a very deranged individual. A lot of problems over a long period of time,” Trump said when asked about the shooting as he and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe held a joint news conference.
                                https://apnews.com/a24697e089d14422b...alth,-not-guns

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X