California can go californicate themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California can go californicate themselves

The state of California is asking the federal government for $7.4 billion to rebuild following massive wildfires.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartanntp

Since when did it become the responsibility of the feds, or the people of the US in general, to pay for damages inflicted in good part due to mismanagement by the state of California of wild lands? Since when should everyone pay to rebuild homes destroyed where the homeowners were underinsured, incompetently managing their property, or disallowed from proper measures to protect their property by the state of California.

This is California's problem. Let them deal with it. If the people of that state discover that their government is full of $h!+ and incompetent, let them vote in better people. This is not America's problem.

I am so tired of every big disaster being a federal problem to be solved by huge piles of OPM being poured into some area to fix the incompetence and stupid of the locals, and their local government.
    I don't mind lending a helping hand, even some funds, to those who suffered from a freak disaster that won't likely happen again next year, but when you live where this $h!+ happens year after year, it isn't on me to fix your stupid.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The state of California is asking the federal government for $7.4 billion to rebuild following massive wildfires.

Since when did it become the responsibility of the feds, or the people of the US in general, to pay for damages inflicted in good part due to mismanagement by the state of California of wild lands? Since when should everyone pay to rebuild homes destroyed where the homeowners were underinsured, incompetently managing their property, or disallowed from proper measures to protect their property by the state of California.

This is California's problem. Let them deal with it. If the people of that state discover that their government is full of $h!+ and incompetent, let them vote in better people. This is not America's problem.

I am so tired of every big disaster being a federal problem to be solved by huge piles of OPM being poured into some area to fix the incompetence and stupid of the locals, and their local government.
    I don't mind lending a helping hand, even some funds, to those who suffered from a freak disaster that won't likely happen again next year, but when you live where this $h!+ happens year after year, it isn't on me to fix your stupid.
    Since the establishment of disaster aid to any state. Katrina came out of taxpayer pockets, as do all disasters that get politically labeled "state of emergency".

What did you think FEMA was created for, if not to hose down Americans with Federal fund? Remember the free mobile homes that the folks trashed after Katrina? They weren't "free" - we paid for them.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

They are so progressive why would they need help.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Since the feds consistently take more money from California in fed taxes than what California takes back from feds in the form of various fed programs.
        Is this enough cause for you?
        Last edited by pamak; 03 Nov 17, 22:06.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
          They are so progressive why would they need help.
          Cali is talking about breaking away from the US forming their own country.

See? There is a silver lining to every cloud... even the smokey kind.

Comment

Now let's push it farther...

Can you make the comparison of federal per capita expenditures between California and your state, Arizona?

=

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...nding_by_state

Per capita federal spending, by state, federal fiscal 2013

Arizona $10,157

California $8,967
            Something abut people who live in glass houses should not throw stones...
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Let's push it even more...

Since according to the previous numbers the feds spend about 1000 less dollars per capita for Californian residents, and since California has about 40 million population, we can conclude that the feds spend about 40 billion dollars less per year compared to an equal population of 40 million residents who have the luxury (and nerve) to talk about federal spending in states with federal spending levels similar to that of Arizona...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                Since the feds consistently take more money from California in fed taxes than what California takes back from feds in the form of various fed programs.
                Is this enough cause for you?
                No. All of a sudden you want "fair and equal." That's so lame. California and the individuals who live there should take the responsibility. California's equivalent of the EPA has so badly mismanaged range and open land it isn't funny. That's a big part of this problem (wildfires). When the state creates conditions that are conducive to massive wildfires why does that suddenly become the country's problem?

As for taxes paid and used... That's a separate issue here you want to conflate to make it seem like they somehow deserve repayment. I say, the individuals involved and the state make it good. I know if I lived somewhere where wildfires were prevalent, I'd be taking steps to ensure my home didn't burn down. But, that's not the case here.

You have a state where year, after year, thousands of homes burn in wildfires through mismanagement of land and homeowner negligence. Where is that my problem or the federal government's?

FEMA is an @$$. It is an agency that shouldn't be acting as the insurance company of the nation for every natural disaster that comes along. That's utter BS.

Just to make it clear my own home has suffered two bad hits from weather over the years. The first was a triple microburst thunderstorm, the second a heavy hailstorm. Both times I took care of the problem or had paid for personal insurance to cover it. I didn't need federal help.

I've thought about the wildfire problem too since I am likely to build in a rural area where that could be an issue. I've got most of the necessary components to put together a reasonable fire suppression system for the homes I'll put there if it comes to that. That's foresight.

Comment

California steals water and exports pollution. Sometimes you have to look beyond per capita expenditures to understand the real cost of a states actions or lack of action. It is pretty ignorant to not build dams to take care of your own water needs or brag about green energy if you're not self sufficient.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

California steals water and exports pollution. Sometimes you have to look beyond per capita expenditures to understand the real cost of a states actions or lack of action. It is pretty ignorant to not build dams to take care of your own water needs or brag about green energy if you're not self sufficient.
                    Not to mention how do you measure the value to California of indirect federal programs like defense, or research into a variety of things? I doubt those measures Pamak talks about really measure the true value added of what California pays in.

Comment

California steals water and exports pollution. Sometimes you have to look beyond per capita expenditures to understand the real cost of a states actions or lack of action. It is pretty ignorant to not build dams to take care of your own water needs or brag about green energy if your not self sufficient.
                      Well, I prefer to show numbers instead of making claims that I pull out of my rear. California is much more dense than many other states, so you cannot compare apples to oranges when you talk about water and pollution. if anything, California is ahead of the curve when it is about environmental laws. And people (and administrations) who undermine EPA should not dare to talk about pollution. I also prefer to stay on topic instead of desperately trying to find ways in this thread to throw mud at the liberal Californians!

Comment

That doesn't show anything but retirement pay and perks.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                          Well, I prefer to show numbers instead of making claims that I pull out of my rear. California is much more dense than many other states, so you cannot compare apples t oranges when you talk about water and pollution. if anything, California is ahead of the curve when it is about environmental laws. And people (and administrations) who undermine EPA should not dare to talk about pollution. I also prefer to stay on topic instead of desperately trying to find ways to throw mud at the .liberal Californians!
                          Yes, California is extremely dense...

Yea, Californians are idiots...

Comment

Not to mention how do you measure the value to California of indirect federal programs like defense, or research into a variety of things? I doubt those measures Pamak talks about really measure the true value added of what California pays in.
                            You can doubt as much as you want. Meanwhile, the federal expenses per capita are there for you to see. It is not difficult to find all federal programs and calculate expenditures per state capita. And actually there HAVE been studies that calculated all these parameters you mentioned! And I go with the data that are available which show that you should be very careful when you talk about federal spending...

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              That doesn't show anything but retirement pay and perks.
                              Well retirees should be very careful when they talk about reducing federal spending because THEY get a big part of the federal budget. Also states with sparse population should also be very careful with arguments about "personal responsibility" and federal spending because sparse population means that federal infrastructure programs benefit very few people and create a high expense per capita. And Californians could as easily turn and say that it is was people's choice to go and live in remote areas, so the feds should not accept a high per capita cost to accommodate their choice by supporting them with services for roads, dams, or other infrastructure programs!
                              Last edited by pamak; 03 Nov 17, 22:44.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X