Facebook, Twitter: Russian actors sought to undermine Trump after election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook, Twitter: Russian actors sought to undermine Trump after election

Top lawyers from Facebook and Twitter said Tuesday that Russian-linked posts and advertisements placed on the social networks after Election Day sought to sow doubt about President Donald Trump's victory.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-trump-244380.
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

But he's a Manchurian candidate from what the news tells us...

What I really believe, the Russians want us to be in a state of upheaval. It suits their national goals. Read The Sword and The Shield for a example of the cold war stance and policy of the Soviet Union.

The Sword and the Shield is based on one of the most extraordinary intelligence coups of recent times: a secret archive of top-level KGB documents smuggled out of the Soviet Union which the FBI has described, after close examination, as the "most complete and extensive intelligence ever received from any source."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...and_the_Shield
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
      Top lawyers from Facebook and Twitter said Tuesday that Russian-linked posts and advertisements placed on the social networks after Election Day sought to sow doubt about President Donald Trump's victory.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-trump-244380.
      Yes, Russia has done and will do whatever they can to weaken the US. Is this a surprise to you?
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

What I really believe, the Russians want us to be in a state of upheaval. It suits their national goals.
        I agree. They know that only Trump would put the USA's needs ahead of his own interests.

That's a rare breed there says. Appeasement and personal gain have corrupted many.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          I agree. They know that only Trump would put the USA's needs ahead of his own interests.
          I missed your sublime sense of humor while you were away.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            Yes, Russia has done and will do whatever they can to weaken the US. Is this a surprise to you?
            Yes, the MSM narrative is that Trump colluded with Russia.
            Obviously there's no collusion.
            "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Post deleted.

Please refrain from negatively focussed personal comment against another member.
              Furthermore, if you believe that another member is in breach of ACG rules, or "trolling", that's what the BPR function is for.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
              ACG Staff.
              Last edited by panther3485; 04 Nov 17, 01:47.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                I missed your sublime sense of humor while you were away.
                Indeed.My baguette and camembert rolled on the floor with me.
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

What I really believe, the Russians want us to be in a state of upheaval. It suits their national goals. Read The Sword and The Shield for a example of the cold war stance and policy of the Soviet Union.

The Sword and the Shield is based on one of the most extraordinary intelligence coups of recent times: a secret archive of top-level KGB documents smuggled out of the Soviet Union which the FBI has described, after close examination, as the "most complete and extensive intelligence ever received from any source."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...and_the_Shield
                  For a nation ruled by its criminal organizations, it needs to look to itself a lot more. Financially, the new Russia isn't much better off than the old Soviet Russia, but at least then the trains ran on time.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                    Indeed.My baguette and camembert rolled on the floor with me.
                    I hope that your picon, pinard and absinth were indemned .

Comment

As they’ve said multiple times, the goal was to undermine American trust in the democratic process and to serve Russian interests. This meant airing all the dirty laundry, helping to widen the divide between Americans, and to assist the most Russian friendly candidate in winning.

It’s not that Trump is a Manchuria candidate. Even the most critical articles in the mainstream simply suggest collusion on hacking and underhanded tactics, not Trump being a KGB spy.

But from a Russian perspective, Trump is easily the most Russian-friendly candidate. His loud anti-NATO rhetoric is something Russia desires because Russia fears NATO as a check on their own power (and see it as basically the armed wing of an American-dominated Europe).

Of course, this being America, reality and logic is less useful than hyperbole. What’s a very likely outcome? That some of Trump’s people broke the law, even in some minor or ancillary ways, but the investigation is driven less by a seeking of the truth than just political gain. How is this being treated? Trump is either a mastermind at the center of a Russian web, colluding with Putin to destroy the western world, or Trump is a noble martyr, a victim of a conspiracy of liberals and anti-Americans to destroy the last bastion of democracy.

And of course, Americans will continue to blame each other rather than trying to compromise or come together because... well, how can they? We are dividing the nation under the assumption that we are “right” and the other side is “wrong”. Even if Russia didn’t mettle a single instant in the election, we are doing a pretty great job at pulling the nation apart on our own.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                        As they’ve said multiple times, the goal was to undermine American trust in the democratic process and to serve Russian interests.
                        There seems to have been one occasion where they succeeded in organizing both a BLM protest AND a counter protest in the same location with Facebook posts from Russia.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/russi...onal=true&r=US

Faut le faire...

Russian trolls organized a protest and a counterprotest in the same place at the same time in May 2016, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Sen. Richard Burr, said on Wednesday.
                        You seem to have reached a point where your Average Joe will believe an anonymous anyone on FB before he'll believe any official publication by your media or politicians.

A propagandist dreams of an audience like that.
                        Last edited by Snowygerry; 06 Nov 17, 04:25.
                        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                          And of course, Americans will continue to blame each other rather than trying to compromise or come together because... well, how can they? We are dividing the nation under the assumption that we are “right” and the other side is “wrong”. Even if Russia didn’t mettle a single instant in the election, we are doing a pretty great job at pulling the nation apart on our own.
                          In other words the USA in the state of internal turmoil and invented the "great Russian conspiracy" just to avoid admitting that nobody is to blame for this turmoil more than themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                            It's probably ironic that what Politico and American liberal media in general did was exactly "sowing doubt about Trump's victory". Looks like they have to whip themselves for undermining American democracy.
                            Frankly speaking I don't understand how Americans didn't get bored with that year-long hysteria. If you think that elections were wrong and unfair - make a reelections. If you don't want - then calm down at last.

Comment

Originally posted by Artyom_A View Post
                              In other words the USA in the state of internal turmoil and invented the "great Russian conspiracy" just to avoid admitting that nobody is to blame for this turmoil more than themselves.
                              In all seriousness, it’s a bit of column A, a bit of column B.

Russian meddling in the election is vouched for by a number of authorities. They surely can be wrong, but the breadth of it makes denying it seem more like denying the little green men in Crimea were Russian soldiers.

The scale and scope and impact of that meddling is, of course, the real arena for discussion - and at this point, the idea that Putin hand-picked Trump to be his spy in the White House as barely even hyperbole to some Americans. The nature of the hacking - a selective release of emails, say - has been over exaggerated to the extreme. At this point, I don’t doubt that many Americans, if stopped and questioned on the street, would believe that Moscow directly hacked voting booths.

But again, the Russian influence in this election is secondary to the voters themselves by a wide margin. There may have been some misconduct by some officials, but Russia is being used as an excuse by both parties at this point. The reality of what Russia did is almost inconsequential, both in terms of what likely did happen and in terms of how it is used amongst the political elite.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X