Trump OKs test program to expand domestic drone flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump OKs test program to expand domestic drone flights

WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans could see a lot more drones flying around their communities as the result of a Trump administration test program to increase government and commercial use of the unmanned aircraft.

President Donald Trump gave the go-ahead Wednesday, signing a directive intended to increase the number and complexity of drone flights.

A presidential memo would allow exemptions from current safety rules so communities could move ahead with testing of drone operations.

States, communities and tribes selected to participate would devise their own trial programs. There is no limit on the number of communities that can join.
    https://apnews.com/93d0f12779ea4734a...-drone-flights

Just when we were getting use to the bird dodo falling from the sky.

What does a good skeet gun cost?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Good news.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        Good news.
        It is. Control over drones is one of those major hurdles we need to clear in the future, and while the government is (and has been) dragging its heels a bit on this, the threat is enough that they can't ignore it forever.

When you hear about near misses with jet liners and Googles plans to offer automatic, to your door delivery by drone, the need for the FAA and other agencies to jump on this is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Just when we were getting use to the bird dodo falling from the sky.

What does a good skeet gun cost?
          Well if I had my druthers around $3500.00(if I could purchase for that amount). Of course this is the Browning Skeet set with 12,20,28,and 410 barrels.
          Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
            It is. Control over drones is one of those major hurdles we need to clear in the future, and while the government is (and has been) dragging its heels a bit on this, the threat is enough that they can't ignore it forever.

When you hear about near misses with jet liners and Googles plans to offer automatic, to your door delivery by drone, the need for the FAA and other agencies to jump on this is very important.
            The Google/Amazon delivery programs is exactly what Trump's directive will help.

The near misses with jet liners needs to be treated separately.
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
              The Google/Amazon delivery programs is exactly what Trump's directive will help.

The near misses with jet liners needs to be treated separately.
              I imagine that there will be separate and specific issues at work, of course, but good blanket legislation will also play an important role in corralling the wider industry. As drones get smaller, more powerful, cheaper and easier to control, you run into issues running the gamut from privacy and harassment to full on terrorism and criminal issues. And then there is just the safety regards - a plane could be taken down by a drone pilot just being an idiot.

I foresee drones impacting so much of our lives.

Comment

I see one major problem emerging - proper ID of a small drone buzzing a house. The homeowner can reasonably shoot it down as trespassing, intruding on privacy and harassment.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  I imagine that there will be separate and specific issues at work, of course, but good blanket legislation will also play an important role in corralling the wider industry. As drones get smaller, more powerful, cheaper and easier to control, you run into issues running the gamut from privacy and harassment to full on terrorism and criminal issues. And then there is just the safety regards - a plane could be taken down by a drone pilot just being an idiot.

I foresee drones impacting so much of our lives.
                  The drones for delivering packages are larger than what we generally think of; Phantom DJI drone made in China. They would also fly on preprogramed routes, the really wouldn't be an issue for planes. The only issue would be from people over reacting and trying to shoot them down with shotguns....

There are a few ways to take the drones down, beanbag nets is probably the safest. The worst IMO is shotguns and radio waves that disrupt the GPS signals. If that device hits the market, every aircraft that uses GPS will need to have the SAASM chip installed.

We are having issues with the DJI; it has an encrypted memory chip that can't be accessed. We have had to ground all of ours until we figure out a way to fix this issue.

The DJI type drones, I'm not too worried about....how many planes get bird strikes? I don't know the answer to that question, just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I see one major problem emerging - proper ID of a small drone buzzing a house. The homeowner can reasonably shoot it down as trespassing, intruding on privacy and harassment.
                    Quad 12 gauge sound like fun. Make the BoB look like child's play.

Comment

I'm sure Trump went on and on about...

Comment

I think buying some Estes rockets and an aluminum tube might be more sporting... Build your own SAM system...

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Wonder where I can find a half-track to mount it on!
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Nah, have more fun. Put the shotguns on drones instead. Patrol pattern and hunt down the offenders......
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

How about Drone kamikaze. Ramming sounds more sporting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X