Sen. McCain declines to label Trump as a draft dodger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen. McCain declines to label Trump as a draft dodger

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Sen. John McCain declined to label President Donald Trump a “draft dodger” Monday even as he renewed his veiled criticism of medical deferments that kept Trump from serving in the Vietnam War.

“I don’t consider him so much a draft dodger as I feel that the system was so wrong that certain Americans could evade their responsibilities to serve the country,” McCain said on ABC’s “The View.” McCain, a former Navy pilot and prisoner of war, was being pressed about comments in a C-SPAN interview aired Sunday where he lamented that the military “drafted the lowest income level of America and the highest income level found a doctor that would say they had a bone spur.”

One of Trump’s five draft deferments came as a result of a physician’s letter stating he suffered from bone spurs in his feet. Trump’s presidential campaign described the issue as a temporary problem.

McCain, meanwhile, spent 5˝ years as a prisoner of war after his plane was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967. Yet during last year’s presidential campaign Trump said McCain was not a war hero because “I like people who weren’t captured.”
    https://apnews.com/767bd0baae4b40dba...a-draft-dodger

More on McCain and Trump:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Comment

Yea, and the same people complaining about Trump gave Clinton a pass for joining ROTC long enough to get a deferment then dropping the program...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Yea, and the same people complaining about Trump gave Clinton a pass for joining ROTC long enough to get a deferment then dropping the program...
        SO what!!!! The subject isn't clinton if you didn't notice.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          SO what!!!! The subject isn't clinton if you didn't notice.
          The subject is draft dodging. What you offer is a deflection, similar to the Harvey Weinstein case where the MSM is pillorying Trump with similar accusations while never mentioning Bill Clinton's improprieties.

This is the exact same thing.

One should note that anywhere from 30 to 50% of all persons drafted in WW 2, Korea, Vietnam, etc., were rejected by the military for service. Typically, the reasons were medical issues, criminal history, or mental incapacity.
          Yet, the canard of being a "draft dodger" is trotted out pretty regularly in political circles to smear opponents.

Of the two, Bill Clinton's obvious manipulation of the draft rules using ROTC as a dodge is a much clearer case of "draft dodging" than having some medical issue which is a common reason for rejection.

Comment

The subject is draft dodging. What you offer is a deflection, similar to the Harvey Weinstein case where the MSM is pillorying Trump with similar accusations while never mentioning Bill Clinton's improprieties.

One should note that anywhere from 30 to 50% of all persons drafted in WW 2, Korea, Vietnam, etc., were rejected by the military for service. Typically, the reasons were medical issues, criminal history, or mental incapacity.
            Yet, the canard of being a "draft dodger" is trotted out pretty regularly in political circles to smear opponents.

Of the two, Bill Clinton's obvious manipulation of the draft rules using ROTC as a dodge is a much clearer case of "draft dodging" than having some medical issue which is a common reason for rejection.
            actually what Clinton did does not matter unless you are making excusses that what Trump did was ok because Clinton did

Comment

https://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon.asp
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                actually what Clinton did does not matter unless you are making excusses that what Trump did was ok because Clinton did
                What Clinton did was clearly and unequivocally dodge the draft. We really can't tell if Trump had a "bone spur" or not, but like I said, medical deferments with draftees is very common.
                Cheney was another one that was deferred for medical reasons.

Again, anywhere from 30 to 50% of all draftees were rejected for some reason. But, in Clinton's case it's clear he manufactured a set of circumstances to specifically avoid being drafted.

Comment

Some information about spurs

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...l-spur/494057/

The prevalence of both Achilles and plantar spurs in relation to the age categories and sex was variable. Overall, there was 38% of the population who had a spur (Achilles or plantar) and only third (11%) with spurs at both sites (Achilles and plantar). Large spurs were more prevalent in older individuals (40 to 79 years).
                  and some information about Trump's physical condition as a highschool teenager

Trump was in a military academy during his high school years and participated in many sporting events.

So, @17, Trump seems to be every healthy while a few years later he has a bone spur which is so severe that makes him ineligible for drafting.
                  By the way, Trump has admitted that he never id anything to treat this condition...

For more details see here...

Spurs can sometime grow upward from the calcaneus at the point where the Achilles tendon attaches. This tends to happen in older people with rheumatic diseases and in serious athletes. Larry Bird played for a season with spurs at the Achilles insertion—some blame his poor performance agains the Pistons in the 1988 conference finals on the spurs—before undergoing surgical removal later that year.

Trump played high-school basketball, but he would’ve been an extremely rare case to have been debilitated by spurs at 22, especially of the sort that required no surgical intervention (he admits to having none) nor any other discernible treatment (according to his medical record).

Much more plausibly, as Trump also admitted to the Times, the spurs were a “minor” problem.
                  Now the issue with Trump is not the draft dodging per se. The issue with Trump is what we read in the final paragraph...

There is a tradition of avoiding the Vietnam draft among recent American presidents, so this would not itself set Trump apart. What would set him apart is having done so and then criticized the contributions of veterans and their families—of John McCain and Humayan, Khizr, and Ghaala Khan—while claiming to have sacrificed himself in a different way, by building a real estate empire.
                  One must have a lot of nerve and complete lack of any shame to go after McCain's military service and criticize his POW status! But of course, Trump has shown that he does not have even the slightest feeling of shame or level of decency, and many of his supporters who try to defend his attitude echo this fact!
                  Last edited by pamak; 23 Oct 17, 16:14.
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Did Uncle Sam actually send Don the draft papers?
                    He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in May 1968 (aged 22) with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics, so didn't that qualify him for a deferment?
                    I don't know how the draft system worked, but did they try to draft all other uni graduates too?

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                      Did Uncle Sam actually send Don the draft papers?
                      He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in May 1968 (aged 22) with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics, so didn't that qualify him for a deferment?
                      I don't know how the draft system worked, but did they try to draft all other uni graduates too?
                      The medical deferment came AFTER this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.848bcb5620ea

A few weeks after his 22nd birthday, Donald Trump received a notice from the federal government. On July 9, 1968, his local draft board had scrawled a “1A” beside his name in its handwritten ledger, classifying him as available for unrestricted military service.
                      As you can recall, the Vietnam War did not finish in May 1968...
                      Last edited by pamak; 23 Oct 17, 16:32.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                        Some information about spurs

and some information about Trump's physical condition as a highschool teenager

Trump was in a military academy during his high school years and participated in many sporting events.

So, @17, Trump seems to be every healthy while a few years later he has a bone spur which is so severe that makes him ineligible for drafting.
                        By the way, Trump has admitted that he never id anything to treat this condition...

For more details see here...

Now the issue with Trump is not the draft dodging per se. The issue with Trump is what we read in the final paragraph...

One must have a lot of nerve and complete lack of any shame to go after McCain's military service and criticize his POW status! But of course, Trump has shown that he does not have even the slightest feeling of shame or level of decency, and many of his supporters who try to defend his attitude echo this fact!
                        Actually, your response is another fail. Bill Clinton actively organized and participated in anti-war and anti-military protests both in the US and abroad. But, I guess with you because he's sufficiently Leftist, he gets a pass.

Comment

Actually, your response is another fail. Bill Clinton actively organized and participated in anti-war and anti-military protests both in the US and abroad. But, I guess with you because he's sufficiently Leftist, he gets a pass.
                          Actually, your response is another fail in reading comprehension.

The last quote of my post was quite clear

There is a tradition of avoiding the Vietnam draft among recent American presidents, so this would not itself set Trump apart. What would set him apart is having done so and then criticized the contributions of veterans and their families—of John McCain and Humayan, Khizr, and Ghaala Khan—while claiming to have sacrificed himself in a different way, by building a real estate empire.
                          At least Clinton did not go after POWs and did not start pissing contests with parents who lost their children in the line of duty or trying to argue that he and his family "sacrificed" much for their country . It is this behavior which sets Trump apart from Clinton or the other dodgers. And unlike you, I am NOT going to give him a pass for such behavior!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donal...ry?id=41015051

Donald Trump to Father of Fallen Soldier: 'I've Made a Lot of Sacrifices'

Comment

One of the Guys in my first Basic Training Company had a bone spur in his knee. It would sometimes cause his knee to lock up when he did certain things. This happened when he was in training and the Army Doctor refused to remove the spur. He went AWOL back to his home and had the surgery done there. He came back and they decided to kick him out without benefits because they were refusing to take people with knee surgery back then (?). That is what he said anyway. My Dad did three tears in the Air Force as an officer and also played for the base Football Team. He had a surgically repaired knee from when they just went in and scrapped the torn cartilledge out! My Security Company supervisor played Basketball in college on a bad knee and served as a Door Gunner in Vietnam on the same knee. They must have different ways to judge knees back then.

They let me out because both my knees were swelling.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              One of the Guys in my first Basic Training Company had a bone spur in his knee. It would sometimes cause his knee to lock up when he did certain things. This happened when he was in training and the Army Doctor refused to remove the spur. He went AWOL back to his home and had the surgery done there. He came back and they decided to kick him out without benefits because they were refusing to take people with knee surgery back then (?). That is what he said anyway. My Dad did three tears in the Air Force as an officer and also played for the base Football Team. He had a surgically repaired knee from when they just went in and scrapped the torn cartilledge out! My Security Company supervisor played Basketball in college on a bad knee and served as a Door Gunner in Vietnam on the same knee. They must have different ways to judge knees back then.

They let me out because both my knees were swelling.

Pruitt
                              And notice how Trump NEVER had any treatment for his spur...

From the links I posted

Trump played high-school basketball, but he would’ve been an extremely rare case to have been debilitated by spurs at 22, especially of the sort that required no surgical intervention (he admits to having none) nor any other discernible treatment (according to his medical record).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X