Bush condemns Trump-era America: ‘Bigotry seems emboldened’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    Me thinks you were running a test to see who would read before they posted.....
    To my sadness, I've had plenty admit upright they don't read many articles at all, just judging the content and worth of a story based on the title and source - which says so much about the situation we find ourselves in these days. Oh, woe is America!

But in all seriousness, I don't deliberately post stuff to test anyone - otherwise I'd be posting Onion stories with misleading link names for extra hilarity! I just don't play spindoctor to the journalists - I put their content up for discussion without trying to make it look better or worse. Otherwise, I myself am engaged in more egregious framing of the topic and discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      To my sadness, I've had plenty admit upright they don't read many articles at all, just judging the content and worth of a story based on the title and source - which says so much about the situation we find ourselves in these days. Oh, woe is America!

But in all seriousness, I don't deliberately post stuff to test anyone - otherwise I'd be posting Onion stories with misleading link names for extra hilarity! I just don't play spindoctor to the journalists - I put their content up for discussion without trying to make it look better or worse. Otherwise, I myself am engaged in more egregious framing of the topic and discussion.
      Right. I need a proper distraction right about now. Things are looking really grim right now. Could use some prayers for my mom at this point.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Right. I need a proper distraction right about now. Things are looking really grim right now. Could use some prayers for my mom at this point.
        What's her first name?
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/politi...nts/index.html

Both Presidents Bush and Obama are absolutely correct in their analysis, though I believe that Bush's speech are much superior to Obama's.

It's too bad that too many won't pay attention.
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Both Presidents Bush and Obama are absolutely correct in their analysis, though I believe that Bush's speech are much superior to Obama's.

It's too bad that too many won't pay attention.
            You should read the transcript of Bush's speech that DoD supplied. The CNN link that you supplied is obviously an opinionated spin.

Bush clearly said this has been happening over decades, not since Trump began running for office.

The difference between Bush and Obama......Bush accepts responsibility for what has happened. Obama blames it on Trump.
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

You should read the transcript of Bush's speech that DoD supplied. The CNN link that you supplied is obviously an opinionated spin.

Bush clearly said this has been happening over decades, not since Trump began running for office.

The difference between Bush and Obama......Bush accepts responsibility for what has happened. Obama blames it on Trump.
              Trump hasn't accepted responsibility for anything he has done while in office. He blames everyone else, especially Obama.

He is unfit for office.

And I have read/listened to Bush's complete speech. Trump is doing nothing to improve the overall situation and is doing much to make it worse.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Trump hasn't accepted responsibility for anything he has done while in office. He blames everyone else, especially Obama.

....and Obama blamed Bush but that isn't the point of the subject of this thread.

Bush, (remember you thought his speech was superior to Obama's) clearly stated decades, not Trump only....the decades pretty much puts it on Bush, Obama, & Trump.

Comment

He is unfit for office.

And I have read/listened to Bush's complete speech. Trump is doing nothing to improve the overall situation and is doing much to make it worse.
                  When was the last time a President did? Carter...maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                    When was the last time a President did? Carter...maybe?
                    Politics 101 is to avoid being responsible for anything but the victories.

The Buck Stops Here isn’t something Presidents believe in. They’ll offer some small commmentss of regret from time to time if they did screw up big enough, but you’ll have to wait for them to be out of office to really admit their failures.

Comment

....and Obama blamed Bush but that isn't the point of the subject of this thread.

Bush, (remember you thought his speech was superior to Obama's) clearly stated decades, not Trump only....the decades pretty much puts it on Bush, Obama, & Trump.
                      To interject, the words are not all that goes into how such comments are judged. Timing, for example, is a big part of that - which is why a lot of the comments from outsiders raised the timing of Bush’s speech as being a veiled critique, with veiled as the key word.

More to the point, many people who pick up on that (or who reject it entirely) do ignore the decades bit, but his speech suggests such ideas are getting worse, not better. That means it isn’t a one-note comment: it ain’t “Trump is the only one responsible!” but neither is it “Me and Obama share as much responsibility as Trump!” either.

In the end, like so much in politics, the truth (as it were) isn’t limited to the hyperbole and extremes. Bush, if one looks at the speech in total, does seem to have rebuked Trump... but his speech does not amount to “Trump is the worst racist evar!!1” either. It’s critical but does not plant all blame entirely upon the man who has only been in office for 10 months.

Another way to read the criticism is that “things are getting worse right now under the current administration, but we shouldn’t be so short sighted as to believe this antiAmerican hatred just popped up overnight either.”

Or even simpler: “Trump may be makin this worse, but you Dems shoulder some blame too.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X