Bush condemns Trump-era America: ‘Bigotry seems emboldened’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush condemns Trump-era America: ‘Bigotry seems emboldened’

NEW YORK (AP) — Former President George W. Bush on Thursday denounced bigotry in Trump-era American politics, warning that the rise of “nativism,” isolationism and conspiracy theories have clouded the nation’s true identity.

The comments, delivered at a New York City conference hosted by the George W. Bush Institute, amounted to an indirect critique from a former Republican president who has remained largely silent during President Donald Trump’s unlikely rise to power. The 43rd president did not name Trump on Thursday, but he attacked some of the principles that define the 45th president’s political brand.

“We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism, forgotten the dynamism that immigration has always brought to America,” Bush said. “We see a fading confidence in the value of free markets and international trade, forgetting that conflict, instability and poverty follow in the wake of protectionism. We’ve seen the return of isolation sentiments, forgetting that American security is directly threatened by the chaos and despair of distant places.”

“We’ve seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty,” he continued. “Bigotry seems emboldened. Our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication.”
    https://apnews.com/0d342305f20b4b2792e4cfa3a868b170/Bush-condemns-Trump-era-America:-'Bigotry-seems-emboldened'

The full transcript is here on Politico, for those interested.

Comment

Without Cheney around he could have been a good President. He is at least like able as a person.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The Swamp has many creatures. Eight years of the Obama administration's race-baiting/stir up the base tactics and not a peep out of Dubya.

"They'll put y'all back in chains!" -VP Biden to a black audience during the 2012 campaign
        {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
          The Swamp has many creatures. Eight years of the Obama administration's race-baiting/stir up the base tactics and not a peep out of Dubya.

"They'll put y'all back in chains!" -VP Biden to a black audience during the 2012 campaign
          We/you added a whole new cast of actors to the swamp last NOV, didn't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Without Cheney around he could have been a good President. He is at least like able as a person.
            Mediocre. Geo W Bush lacked the knowledge base, the worldly experience, to have been anything more than a mediocre president. Nice guy, but if his name weren't Bush, he would have peaked at regional sales manager for an insurance company.

What I don't get is Cheney. He had the knowledge base. He had the worldly experience. So what on earth made him think that invading Iraq, deposing her government -- and doing it on the cheap -- were good ideas? For the life of me I still can't figure that one out. Of all the people in DC at that time, he more than most of them should have known better.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Hmm...criticism from a man who deserted from the military, could not properly speak the English language, was responsible for the 9/11 terrorist attack, who allowed the entire bin Laden family to fly out of America while grounding the entire nation, and who then declared a war on the wrong nation for the wrong reasons? That G.W. Bush?

Sorry...I'm not interested in anything Lil' Bush has to say.

But if we're going to talk about "emboldening bigotry", we're going to have to talk about Obama, the National Bigot for eight long years, and who defined everything in racist terms.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                Mediocre. Geo W Bush lacked the knowledge base, the worldly experience, to have been anything more than a mediocre president. Nice guy, but if his name weren't Bush, he would have peaked at regional sales manager for an insurance company.

What I don't get is Cheney. He had the knowledge base. He had the worldly experience. So what on earth made him think that invading Iraq, deposing her government -- and doing it on the cheap -- were good ideas? For the life of me I still can't figure that one out. Of all the people in DC at that time, he more than most of them should have known better.
                $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$&more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in his pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Hmm...criticism from a man who deserted from the military, could not properly speak the English language, was responsible for the 9/11 terrorist attack, who allowed the entire bin Laden family to fly out of America while grounding the entire nation, and who then declared a war on the wrong nation for the wrong reasons? That G.W. Bush?

Sorry...I'm not interested in anything Lil' Bush has to say.

But if we're going to talk about "emboldening bigotry", we're going to have to talk about Obama, the National Bigot for eight long years, and who defined everything in racist terms.
                  All good points.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$&more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in his pocket.
                    Have you forgotten Cheney's personal ties to Halliburton, the major civilian contractor in Iraq?
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Have you forgotten Cheney's personal ties to Halliburton, the major civilian contractor in Iraq?
                      No, that's why he put all those dollar signs in his post. Those aren't question marks...

Comment

You mean the Bushes are part of the establishment?
                        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post

No Obama fan here. Heard that "positive rights" crap and turned right off. Didn't vote for him in two tries. That being said, the "race-baiting" started in earnest the moment McCain conceded the election in Nov '08. Within mere hours, Google was up to its servers in "Monkey Obama" stuff. To be perfectly frank, there's a certain segment of the population that is deeply, viscerally offended at the mere thought that a black man can be President of the United States. Such a development threatens to turn their worldview upside-down. A little over a hundred years ago, a Negro dining in the White House as an invited guest of the President was an affront a good many people could not tolerate.

Back then the only Coloreds who should have been in the White House were the janitors. Nowadays, a Negro has been elected by the people to reside in the White House, and to preside over the US Government, and he's lampooned thusly:

[Rough language:]

A whole century has passed, and yet so little has changed -- at least for those still married to the past -- at least DW Griffith's version of it.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I suspect that Cheney saw invading Iraq as preemptive. If we just invaded Afghanistan, al Qaeda, along with Bin Laden, would have run across the border to Pakistan then potentially run to Iraq out of US reach. Saddam had made overtures to al Qaeda. I saw a couple of articles run in a Canadian paper about documents found... with photos of them... of meetings where al Qaeda representatives met with Saddam's government about cooperating but decided against it on religious differences. I would think that the situation would make for a reconsideration based on extreme need.
                            After all, there were a number of other infamous terrorists hiding out in Bagdad...

Comment

Israel's Shin Bet was in tight with Hamas. Hamas was spawned by Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood. Muslim Brotherhood also spawned al Qaeda. Does that link Israel to 9/11? Don't laugh: lots of people believe just that.

You connect the dots and think that they lead to Conclusion X. What if, however, you're missing a dot or two? Then what's your conclusion?

Ask yourself, why would Saddam play cute with al Qaeda? Could it have been for the same reason that Shin Bet played cute with Hamas? What do spooks do,and why?

Colin Powell as SecState came right out and said there was no ops link between AQ and Iraq -- twice -- in the weeks following 9/11. I'm on a pitching train right now, so feel free to peruse some of my old posts for sources.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X