Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Censoring of Free Speech on the Internet, Is it coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censoring of Free Speech on the Internet, Is it coming?

Political content on the internet, paid or not, should face substantial federal regulation to eliminate undefined "disinformation," and users of platforms and news feeds, from Facebook, to Twitter, to the Drudge Report and even New York Times, could be punished for sharing "fake news" from those sites, the former Democratic chair of the FEC is urging.
    In a broad proposal that adds threatening libel suits to regulatory plans already pushed by Democrats on the Federal Election Commission, ex-chair Ann Ravel believes that there is support for expanded regulation in the wake of reports foreign governments spent $100,000 on 2016 political ads on Facebook.
    She would include "fake news," not just paid ads, to be regulated, though it's never defined other than the Democrat's description of "disinformation." And anybody who shares or retweets it could face a libel suit.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dr...rticle/2637886

Enjoy your freedom to post comments - while you still have it.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

And just what power does an 'ex-chair' of the FEC have?.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
      http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dr...rticle/2637886

Enjoy your freedom to post comments - while you still have it.
      This freedom has already disappeared in Europe (in Germany censorship is working with Teutonic thoroughness), the rest of the world will follow : there are already demands from the Green fascists to nationalize the internet .

Comment

It's definitely coming, it's something Trump stated he wanted to do during his campaign.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

DRUDGE readers could face libel suits for sharing 'fake news'...

Bill to regulate internet ads gains support...
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            It's definitely coming, it's something Trump stated he wanted to do during his campaign.
            Please cite evidence of this "claim" about Trump.

Comment

Insisting on the truth is "censorship"? In what imaginary world?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet and we have to do something. We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them, maybe in certain areas closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people…"

- Trump
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet and we have to do something. We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them, maybe in certain areas closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people…"

- Trump
                  And where did you find this?
                  Citing a source includes a link, otherwise we've no proof you didn't fabricate this.

Comment

Didnt Nixon try the same thing???? and you guys call yourselves "land of the free".........better take a look at your own Constituion...

Comment

The first link is another silly story about the opinion of the EX chair of the FEC. Once again how does someone NOT on the FEC board have any say? Oh by the way just what major political leader, CURRENT leader, stated the same basic line she talks about, the one about losing up libel laws so as to make it easier to sue outlets? I'll let you guess.

As to the second I support the basic concept of:

(Reuters) - U.S. legislation that would impose new disclosure requirements on political ads that run on Facebook and other websites received support on Wednesday from Senator John McCain, giving a bipartisan boost to a bill already popular among Democrats.
                      Nothing wrong with disclosure.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                        Please cite evidence of this "claim" about Trump.
                        Easy, from his own mouth:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...el-laws-219866

"One of the things I'm going to do if I win, and I hope we do and we're certainly leading. I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We're going to open up those libel laws. So when The New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace or when The Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they're totally protected,"
                        You were saying?
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                          The first link is another silly story about the opinion of the EX chair of the FEC. Once again how does someone NOT on the FEC board have any say? . . . .
                          I'm not normally given to the tin-foil hat stuff, and I only glance at SRV's posts, but truth be told, an ex-chairman can influence the workings of his former commission. Indeed, it happens all the time. Lobbying firms normally go out of their way to recruit former chairmen, directors, deputy secretaries, general officers, etc, etc, as well as former members of Congress. These kinds of people are assumed to be valuable by lobbyists and others seeking/having business before gov't because of their Rolodex's, their lists of contacts. So I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I believe -- hell, I know -- that a former chairman of a commission can wield a great deal of influence on his former colleagues. Now I don't know whose paying the OP's author's bills. I don't even know what prompted him to write that piece. What I do know is that he can potentially influence how his former colleagues and subordinates go about their business. After all, that's what lobbying is all about.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            I'm not normally given to the tin-foil hat stuff, and I only glance at SRV's posts, but truth be told, an ex-chairman can influence the workings of his former commission. Indeed, it happens all the time. Lobbying firms normally go out of their way to recruit former chairmen, directors, deputy secretaries, general officers, etc, etc, as well as former members of Congress. These kinds of people are assumed to be valuable by lobbyists and others seeking/having business before gov't because of their Rolodex's, their lists of contacts. So I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I believe -- hell, I know -- that a former chairman of a commission can wield a great deal of influence on his former colleagues. Now I don't know whose paying the OP's author's bills. I don't even know what prompted him to write that piece. What I do know is that he can potentially influence how his former colleagues and subordinates go about their business. After all, that's what lobbying is all about.
                            Currently only 5 members of the board are in office. 1 Dem and 3 GOP and one independent. President Trump has to appoint either 1 more Dem's or leave it empty. No, she will not have any influence.

https://www.fec.gov/about/leadership-and-structure/

The only threat is President Trump pressuring them to in act HIS promise to crack down on the press through libel laws.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                              Currently only 4 members of the board are in office. 1 Dem and 3 GOP. President Trump has to appoint either two more Dem's or leave them empty. No, she will not have any influence.
                              How about on the FEC's enforcement work, which does not rely on the board members, but on staffers who are usually career civil servants on the Federal pay schedule. It's hardly beyond the pale to believe that a former chairman may have some influence with those folks?

Not saying it's a sure thing, mind you, only stating that, based on past observations, it's definitely possible.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X