Income inequality and homicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income inequality and homicide

The correlation between high rates of economic inequality and high homicide rates is clear. The question is why?

I suspect that it has more to do with mobility than inequality.

If the conscientious tend to succeed in a meritocracy it should come as no surprise that the people who have failed economically are less conscientious.

There is probably a causative link between poverty and violent crime as the poor have less to lose. If you measure poverty as a relative relationship then it is likely that the meaning of poverty becomes subjective. In this distorted analysis it seems likely that what someone feels they have to lose is equally distorted.

It comes down to a question of values and the Marxists create a self fulfilling paradigm by teaching that people should be bitter and unhappy if their income is unequal. The Marxist power dynamics view of life destroys values. The reason that poverty is not tied to high homicides in other cultures may simply be that what people in those societies value is not related to power or money.

The income inequality theory of violence seems to depend too heavily on the assumption that value systems are innate and not learned. Which is fairly ironic considering the social constructionist world view of the left.

Our poor communities are populated by people that are low in conscientiousness and social mobility has removed the conscientious from those communities leaving no one to construct and transmit value systems that are not homicidal.

Sociology needs a thorough house cleaning to rid it of Marxist ideology.
    We hunt the hunters

Is there anyone here who speaks the same language as the OP? I'm vaguely interested in the topic, but I've read the post several times and I literally can't make sense of it. No clear argument, zero useful data . I think he doesn't like Marxism....or not. Can't quite work out the tie in to the subject, however.

Any sane & coherent assistance welcome.
    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

There is no relation between poverty and homicide;only Marxists are saying that there is a relation, they say that poor people are killing other people because they are poor,something which is insulting the poor .

Criminality is not caused by socio-economic situations, but because people chose to become criminals . This is something that most Western leaders(especially in the US ) refuse to understand : people as Bush, Obama, the pope,etc,who think that by giving money to ISIS supporters,they will eradicate ISIS .

It proves only how far Marxism has corrupted our society .

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
        Is there anyone here who speaks the same language as the OP? I'm vaguely interested in the topic, but I've read the post several times and I literally can't make sense of it. No clear argument, zero useful data . I think he doesn't like Marxism....or not. Can't quite work out the tie in to the subject, however.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ead-to-murder/

It is fairly easy these days to find the literature on any subject :-)

The research is clear but entirely correlative.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

So if that was true why did we just have a multi-millionaire go on a mass shooting spree?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Blue State are less safe.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

I'm not sure I qualify under your stated conditions.

"Poor people are more homicidal than rich people" appears to be his argument. Since that has been known for millenia, it's neither a revelation nor a topic of interest.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Poor don't send the rich to war to make more money for them. Strictly a rich thing. Always has, as well be what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Poor don't send the rich to war to make more money for them. Strictly a rich thing. Always has, as well be what happens.
                That's a good point, the rich are responsible for more deaths and inhumane acts than the poor ever will be.

For some reason we just don't view their crimes against humanity in the same manner.

At a street level, even Italian mobs are viewed with higher regard than blood or crip gangs for example. It seems like the more money you have, the more your crime becomes acceptable or tolerable.
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  When Chimpanzees go to war it is typically young males. Even in humans war has often been a way to climb the dominance hierarchy. Humans of course have more complex social structures where tribal affiliation is more fluid. It is possible to move from one social class to another instead of simple changing status within the tribe.

It has been the case in modern wars that first lieutenants had higher casualty rates. Two of our wealthiest presidents fit this model, John Kennedy and George Bush. The relationship between poverty and service in the military is complicated.

It is likely that the less affluent are over represented in all dangerous jobs out of necessity. Even in an all volunteer military people with more diverse opportunities are likely to choose other careers.

The relationship between participation in war and poverty is further distorted by the fact that the leadership of a society is not going to come from the lower class. The only way to determine if the rich exploit the poor to fight wars is to determine the support for war amongst the various classes. Also the rich disproportionate benefit from all activities in society so if that was not the case in war it would be hard to explain.

Poverty is certainly a factor but income inequality may simply reflect more divergent opportunities and greater diversity.
                  Paradoxically more freedom tends to form greater tribal isolation in large societies by virtue of self segregation. Homogenous societies have lower rates of homicide and less income inequality because they are more stable.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

I think it's time we stop comparing ourselves to chimps, unless we want to normalize uncivil behavior while lowering the ceiling of what we're truly capable of, socially.

We can drop these primal or tribal characteristics if we wanted to.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                      I think it's time we stop comparing ourselves to chimps, unless we want to normalize uncivil behavior while lowering the ceiling of what we're truly capable of, socially.

We can drop these primal or tribal characteristics if we wanted to.
                      Maybe he feels more comfortable among them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X